GBsCards

Default How do you sharpen a drawknife?

Sorry if this seems novice. I use sandpaper on plate glass to sharpen my plane
irons and chisels. Obviuosly the handles of the drawknife would be in the way.
Do you have to buy stones and drag it across them? How do you keep a
consistent edge? Thanks for answering.
KYHighlander

I asked an old timer, my wife's uncle, about this and he told me you use a
file and then a stone in the same manner as the file, just to clean up the
edge.

--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"GBsCards" wrote in message
Sorry if this seems novice. I use sandpaper on plate glass to sharpen my

plane
irons and chisels. Obviuosly the handles of the drawknife would be in the

way.
Do you have to buy stones and drag it across them? How do you keep a
consistent edge? Thanks for answering.

rj

My dad used a flat stone and sharpened his on the "back" or flat side. I
know, that shortens the bevel, but I believe the really old drawknives
didn't have the entire blade hardened, just most of the cutting edge, when
you wore it down too much, just threw in the corner of the woodshed & got a
new one. (always "recycled" everything - - save it for the handles.) - - I
shaved a lot of shingles and peeled a lot of logs with the blasted thing
when I was young and dumb.

"GBsCards" wrote in message
Sorry if this seems novice. I use sandpaper on plate glass to sharpen my

plane
irons and chisels. Obviuosly the handles of the drawknife would be in

the
way.
Do you have to buy stones and drag it across them? How do you keep a
consistent edge? Thanks for answering.

J Pagona aka Y.B.

If you don't want to buy a stone, glue some sandpaper to a flat piece of wood
3" wide or so.

David

remove the key to email me.
George

Narrow your glass selection and use standard bevel down hone, wire edge
removal order. The bevel will lie flat with light pressure, especially as
it is pretty long.

Or get a stone. Old boys here used a scythe stone with bark knives. Of
course, that's a bit rougher work than I put to my knives.