Old December 28th 03, 06:09 PM
Jon Elson

Default how to sharpen mini dike cutters, nipper cutters?

Alan Horowitz wrote:
how to sharpen the mini dike cutters and nipper cutters used in
electrical & electronic work?

They're too small to handle with jigs, and the blades don't even open
very widely. Yet, their utility is directly proportional to how
recently they've been sharpened/honed.

I have tried to do this with swiss files and small pocket sharpening
stones. it really isn't worth the trouble, and they never work as
well as a good new cutter. Yes, I hate to throw them away, too.
But, I have bought some good Xcelite and other cutters that have served
me well for years in light production work. I don't cut drill bits
with them, however.

Old December 29th 03, 08:30 AM
Leo Lichtman

Larry Jaques wrote: (clip) If they're too far gone, get out your hardfacing
rod and weld new area to sharpen. Gosh, I can't believe some of you guys
throw these away...
^^^^^^^^^^^
Larry, I tried hardfacing the cutting edges on my dykes, but now I can't
open the jaws. Should I have welded the two sides separately? ;-)

Old December 29th 03, 11:40 AM
Alan Horowitz

Larry Jaques
NOT crossposted to 5 groups

you don't think that this subject would elicit interesting and
useful
comments from (for example) folks who hang out in
sci.electronics.repair?
they use these electronic tools more often than machinists do,
methinks.

the newsgroups were not chosen at random. Half an hour was spent
selecting which groups should be included.

the internet is not just a substitute for bulletin boards.... it is
about
thinking outside the box, and cross-fertilization.

anyway, for me (merchant marine engineer), the post was not a
theoretical question.
when an engine-control is down, I don't have the luxury of sifting
through boxes and boxes of tools - I use what's at hand. If a good
pair of nippers thereby gets ruined, I can't just sent wifey out to
Home depot to buy another pair. I must sharpen it.
Old December 29th 03, 04:03 PM
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 08:30:09 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
brought forth from the murky depths:

Larry Jaques wrote: (clip) If they're too far gone, get out your hardfacing
rod and weld new area to sharpen. Gosh, I can't believe some of you guys
throw these away...
^^^^^^^^^^^
Larry, I tried hardfacing the cutting edges on my dykes, but now I can't
open the jaws. Should I have welded the two sides separately? ;-)

You forgot the first rule of toolmaking, Leo:

1) Make sure you are smarter than the tool you are working on.

OK, to repair that, set your laser flashlight to the smallest
pinhole size and...

-
Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.
http://diversify.com

Old December 30th 03, 04:32 AM
Paul R. Mays

"Steve Dunbar" wrote in message
Beecrofter wrote:

how to sharpen mini dike....

Send her to a better school....

Old December 30th 03, 12:46 PM
John Walton

I've come to the same conclusion. A good pair of mini-dikes is worth the
investment, so much so that I asked my wife to get me a Xcelta pair of flush
cutters for Christmas -- they were about $70. I've pitched the Xcelite
ones. After a year or so they are just shot.

Jack

Old December 30th 03, 09:24 PM
Loren Coe

In article , John Walton wrote:
I've come to the same conclusion. A good pair of mini-dikes is worth the
investment, so much so that I asked my wife to get me a Xcelta pair of flush
cutters for Christmas -- they were about $70. I've pitched the Xcelite
ones. After a year or so they are just shot. Jack

Yikes! $70.00 mini-cutters? what about them will make them longer
lived than the Xcelites? replaceable blades? --Loren