Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stanley Schaefer Stanley Schaefer is offline

Default sharpen a pencil sharpener?

On Feb 26, 3:03*pm, Eli the Bearded wrote:
The discussion about sharpening taps in the "old taps and dies, worth
anything?" thread brings to mind a question of mine.

I've got a couple of old planetary style pencil sharpeners which tend
to chew up pencils and leave the wood all rough. I'm wondering if this
is a case of the blades needing sharpening or something else.

I know how to take the sharpeners apart, but I don't know how I'd go
about sharpening the many small curved blades on the cylinders.

Suggestions?

Elijah
------
mostly sharpens pencils with a utility knife these days

If you've got the patience, I suppose you could go over each and every
tooth with a diamond hone, they make smaller ones for just that sort
of thing. Mark each tooth with a Sharpie to see where you're hitting.
I've used Arkansas stones on smaller adjustable reamers to get all the
flutes to engage. It's just tedious. That's if you've got more time
than money. Unless it's a family heirloom pencil sharpener, just get
a new one.

Stan