Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default sharpen a pencil sharpener?

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 17:10:39 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 22:03:19 +0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded
wrote:

The discussion about sharpening taps in the "old taps and dies, worth
anything?" thread brings to mind a question of mine.

I've got a couple of old planetary style pencil sharpeners which tend
to chew up pencils and leave the wood all rough. I'm wondering if this
is a case of the blades needing sharpening or something else.

I know how to take the sharpeners apart, but I don't know how I'd go
about sharpening the many small curved blades on the cylinders.

Suggestions?

Elijah
------
mostly sharpens pencils with a utility knife these days

The standard way is to take a strip of fine emery cloth, wrap it
around the cutters, holding the ends of the strip in one hand, and
crank the sharpener with the other.

It sort of works. You now have a zero-rake pencil sharpener, but if it
was really dull, you had a negative-rake pencil sharpener before
sharpening it.

I've done it. It's Ok, but not great. Anything else requires a tool
grinder as big as a dishwasher.

And tiny tiny little wheels. Both in diameter and in thickness.

1. Lie