Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default COst of steel at metal suppliers

On 2013-02-11, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
On 2/10/2013 8:19 AM, Ignoramus2110 wrote:
I did not see any D-2, but I have a big block of O-1.

What are the measurements and weight?

6x3x44, appx 223 lbs

How many brushes of what kind do you want for it?

Special rec.crafts.metalworking price is $1/lb. ATM I have a lot of
brushes, we mostly use 4 and 6 inch cup brushes.

Let me see what freight would be, can and will you cut it?

Should be about $148 to ship to location with forklift.

Or free pick-up from me.

I am not sure if I can cut O-1, I have a 12 inch bandsaw.

Cutting torch will do it. Just cut it a couple of inches longer
then tom can trim off the heat affected zone in his saw.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-11, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
On 2/10/2013 8:19 AM, Ignoramus2110 wrote:
I did not see any D-2, but I have a big block of O-1.

What are the measurements and weight?

6x3x44, appx 223 lbs

How many brushes of what kind do you want for it?

Special rec.crafts.metalworking price is $1/lb. ATM I have a lot of
brushes, we mostly use 4 and 6 inch cup brushes.

Let me see what freight would be, can and will you cut it?

Should be about $148 to ship to location with forklift.

Or free pick-up from me.

I am not sure if I can cut O-1, I have a 12 inch bandsaw.

Sure! It cuts like CR when soft. D-2 cuts OK too when soft. The O-1 I
heat-treat in house but the D-2 has to be sent out.

Did you once say you think you had some D-2 round? I need 8-1/4" or so
round to make 1" thick blades with a 4" bore...I used to get hollow bar
but not too many centers can get it anymore.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-11, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
On 2/10/2013 8:19 AM, Ignoramus2110 wrote:
I did not see any D-2, but I have a big block of O-1.

What are the measurements and weight?

6x3x44, appx 223 lbs

How many brushes of what kind do you want for it?

Special rec.crafts.metalworking price is $1/lb. ATM I have a lot of
brushes, we mostly use 4 and 6 inch cup brushes.

Let me see what freight would be, can and will you cut it?

Should be about $148 to ship to location with forklift.

Or free pick-up from me.

I am not sure if I can cut O-1, I have a 12 inch bandsaw.

Cutting torch will do it. Just cut it a couple of inches longer
then tom can trim off the heat affected zone in his saw.

Best Regards
Tom.

OH GOD NO!!! NEVER torch it, you loose too much. It cuts like CR when
soft. I cut it almost every day. But, it's a good thought.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-11, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
On 2/10/2013 8:19 AM, Ignoramus2110 wrote:
I did not see any D-2, but I have a big block of O-1.

What are the measurements and weight?

6x3x44, appx 223 lbs

How many brushes of what kind do you want for it?

Special rec.crafts.metalworking price is $1/lb. ATM I have a lot of
brushes, we mostly use 4 and 6 inch cup brushes.

Let me see what freight would be, can and will you cut it?

Should be about $148 to ship to location with forklift.

Or free pick-up from me.

I am not sure if I can cut O-1, I have a 12 inch bandsaw.

I don't think it NEEDS to be cut shorter. do you? I just thought you
would band it on a skid. I figure about 25 lbs for the skid. My
freight guy is waiting for a call-back from FedEx freight, our favorite
carrier. OBTW, how do you know it's O-1?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-11, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
On 2/10/2013 8:19 AM, Ignoramus2110 wrote:
I did not see any D-2, but I have a big block of O-1.

What are the measurements and weight?

6x3x44, appx 223 lbs

How many brushes of what kind do you want for it?

Special rec.crafts.metalworking price is $1/lb. ATM I have a lot of
brushes, we mostly use 4 and 6 inch cup brushes.

Let me see what freight would be, can and will you cut it?

Should be about $148 to ship to location with forklift.

Or free pick-up from me.

I am not sure if I can cut O-1, I have a 12 inch bandsaw.

Cutting torch will do it. Just cut it a couple of inches longer
then tom can trim off the heat affected zone in his saw.

Best Regards
Tom.

OH GOD NO!!! NEVER torch it, you loose too much. It cuts like CR when
soft. I cut it almost every day. But, it's a good thought.

I would not torch it either.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-11, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
On 2/10/2013 8:19 AM, Ignoramus2110 wrote:
I did not see any D-2, but I have a big block of O-1.

What are the measurements and weight?

6x3x44, appx 223 lbs

How many brushes of what kind do you want for it?

Special rec.crafts.metalworking price is $1/lb. ATM I have a lot of
brushes, we mostly use 4 and 6 inch cup brushes.

Let me see what freight would be, can and will you cut it?

Should be about $148 to ship to location with forklift.

Or free pick-up from me.

I am not sure if I can cut O-1, I have a 12 inch bandsaw.

Sure! It cuts like CR when soft. D-2 cuts OK too when soft. The O-1 I
heat-treat in house but the D-2 has to be sent out.

I would say, get the whole thing then.

Did you once say you think you had some D-2 round? I need 8-1/4" or so
round to make 1" thick blades with a 4" bore...I used to get hollow bar
but not too many centers can get it anymore.

I thought it was D-2, but it turned out to be 4140 instead. I have a
few more large rounds to look at though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-11, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
On 2/10/2013 8:19 AM, Ignoramus2110 wrote:
I did not see any D-2, but I have a big block of O-1.

What are the measurements and weight?

6x3x44, appx 223 lbs

How many brushes of what kind do you want for it?

Special rec.crafts.metalworking price is $1/lb. ATM I have a lot of
brushes, we mostly use 4 and 6 inch cup brushes.

Let me see what freight would be, can and will you cut it?

Should be about $148 to ship to location with forklift.

Or free pick-up from me.

I am not sure if I can cut O-1, I have a 12 inch bandsaw.

I don't think it NEEDS to be cut shorter. do you? I just thought you
would band it on a skid. I figure about 25 lbs for the skid. My
freight guy is waiting for a call-back from FedEx freight, our favorite
carrier. OBTW, how do you know it's O-1?

I do not need to cut it for shipping, no.

It has written "Northern Illinois Steel O-1 tool steel" on the side.

The seller had no incentive to lie about it, as I bought all his 15
tons of steel for just $1k.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 12:46:15 -0800 (PST), Transition Zone
wrote:

On Feb 11, 7:59*pm, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 12:55:45 -0800 (PST), Transition Zone

wrote:
On Feb 10, 7:49*pm, F.K. wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 12:51:59 -0800 (PST), Transition Zone

wrote:
On Feb 9, 3:22*pm, Ignoramus19809 ignoramus19...@NOSPAM.
19809.invalid wrote:
*If I was to buy steel at a metal supplier, in the quantity of a ton
or
*so, *how much would it cost per lb ?

Depends upon what kind of steel and where. *I remember I saw a TV
movie Columbo episode: "The Conspirators" (1978) which ended up being
about ships that traded cargo while out at sea. *Could this be a cheap
way of avoiding cheap import duties ?? *Like buying steel below
government-set prices??

(you do know that the price of steel is set by each country's
government, right)

No, I didn't know that.

Really?

Could you enlighten us and advise us of the U.S. National Agency that sets the price of steel in the U.S.,

Why, yes. Its called the Department of Commerce.

"A Mexican pipe manufacturer has retracted its challenge to anti-
dumping duties assessed by the U.S. Department of Commerce"
--http://www.law360.com/internationaltrade/articles/370796/mexican-pipe...

But that is not "setting steel prices". According to your reference it
is a case where the maker was selling in the U.S. at a cheaper price
then he sold in his own country, referred to as "dumping".

Which you can't do unless a price is set ... in both countries. Now.
You think I'm lying? Just go and buy a ton or more of steel overseas
at below that price and watch what happens.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

Dumping is difficult to prove as it requires the proof of sales prices
in the country of origin, which isn't set officially, but a matter of
market forces. If you don't believe me then get the actual trial
records (public records) and look at the proof provided in support of
the charges. It consists of reams and reams of quotations and sales
documents that provide an "average" price that the material was sold
at, in the originating country, usually over a long period of time. In
addition the same thing is done in the country of sales, for the same
purpose, to prove an average sales price.

If you don't believe that steel prices are market driven go and price
a 4' x 8' piece of 1/4" plate and then get a price on 500 tons of the
same material.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-11, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
[...]

What finish is on the surfaces? Are 4 sides mill surfaces? In other
words, are four sides true and smooth?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-11, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
[...]

Yes, all four sides look true and smooth to me. They have some storage
rust however.

http://yabe.chudov.com/HUGE-223-lb-6.../9656-0003.jpg
http://yabe.chudov.com/HUGE-223-lb-6.../9656-0007.jpg
http://yabe.chudov.com/HUGE-223-lb-6.../9656-0002.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-11, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
[...]

I got our engineers (all three) together and discussed your O-1. It's a
good deal, about a third of what it would cost locally and payback would
take less than a year. The problem we see is the 3" dimension. Almost
all dies we would make would have a max thickness of 1-1/2" and with our
saw it would be tough to cut parts width-wise then machine or grind
flat. I hate to pass on it but if you ever decide to cut it into 12"
pieces let me know. Any other sizes of O-1 or D-2?