JMartin957

Default Metal suppliers - Maine

I'm in Cumberland, Maine - just outside Portland.

Needed a small length of brass rod last week. Wanted hex, but would have taken
round. Something in the 3/4" range - I'm flexible. Easy, right? Wrong.

I get a lot of what I use from Steve Welch at Reed's Machine Shop in Yarmouth.
Really good guy, lots of hot rolled bar and flats, but doesn't keep any brass.

So I tried Gowen, the last of the large machine shops on the Portland
waterfront, but not as large as they used to be. Found a two foot piece of one
inch round bronze. Took them quite a while to come up with a price in their
computer - $54.00. No thanks. They had some round brass in longer bars, but
after getting that price on the bronze I decided not to bother them any
further. No hex stock even in steel.

Scrap dealer in downtown Portland. Perry? Used to be able to look through the
yard. Now he says everything is bundled and sold as soon as it comes in, and
no retail.

Another scrap dealer - Mack - in Westbrook. Would sell retail, but no brass or
bronze. Mostly plastics.

Went to Brackett Machine - the largest machine shop in Westbrook. Westbrook is
the home of the S.D. Warren paper mill, so there are some decent shops there.
Brackett had no brass or bronze hex, but I did find a short length of brass
square which I settled for. They are good folks and very reasonable.

I used to buy from American Steel in South Portland. They stock all sorts of
steel and aluminum, and can order brass or bronze or whatever. They've always
been a bit of a PITA to deal with, though. The last time I went there, they
wouldn't sell to me - although they did suggest a job shop up the street who
could place my order. And this was for a really simple order - full length
bars of 12L14, no cutting, maybe $150 worth. No questions - I knew exactly
what I wanted and had cash. So I had to go up the street, order from the job
shop, have him phone it in to American, have them check stock, wait until they
had pulled the bars so they could get the exact lengths and weights, have him
call back to get the total price, pay him, and then go back to American to pick
up the steel. Hey, I can understand why a business might not want to bother
with consumer retail sales. But when someone comes in and knows exactly what
they want and it's a stock item with no cutting or special handling and they
have green money.......

Goldstein Steel in Scarborough is a pleasure. New and used steel, mostly
structural but some flats and plate. They are happy to sell you what you want
at a reasonable price, and that makes me happy to buy from them. Little bar
and almost all hot rolled, though, and I don't recall any brass or aluminum.

So, now that I've shared my sources and my ranting, does anyone have any decent
sources in southern Maine? Hell, I might even drive to New Hampshire if I have
to.

And is it the same in the rest of the country?

John Martin

Errol Groff

Can't help with anyplace in Maine but you could try Metal Source in
Woburn MA. They have a wide range of non ferrous metals and will UPS
to you. +1 (781) 932-0482, you will talk to Ed a very helpful fellow.

Errol Groff
Instructor, Machine Tool Department
H.H. Ellis Tech
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/

http://newenglandmodelengineeringsociety.org/

On 29 Jan 2004 22:21:25 GMT, (JMartin957) wrote:

[...]

Steve Smith

For a small amount of brass, I'd probably order from MSC (not knowing of
any good scrapyards).

I moved to Brownfield, Maine in August and immediately felt the lack of
not only scrapyards, but also new steel (just didn't know where to go).
I'm in New England Blacksmiths, and I was overjoyed to have one of the
guys doing it for money tell me he was happy to sell at his cost steel
that he bought in Portland. Big mistake--I've never paid so much for
steel in my life (80-90 cents per pound for hot rolled). I have great
faith in his honesty, but he needs a new supplier.

What I've found since then is Isaacson Steel in Berlin, New Hampshire.
http://isaacsonsteel.com/isi/products.html
I realize this is a fair bit out of your way, but call them and find out
if they deliver anywhere near you. They deliver to Brownfield on
Thursdays for free (although they like the order to be $100 or more).
They've dropped two deliveries in my driveway since moving, excellent
service. They made a couple of delivery mistakes (check your stuff at
delivery), but they made them up promptly. Prices are very reasonable,
35 cents per pound or so for hot rolled bar stock. Their cutting charges
are quite reasonable, unlike many places.

Steve Smith

JMartin957 wrote:

[...]

Bob Paulin

JMartin957 wrote in article
[...]

John:

Some day - when you have a little time - make that a LOT of time - swing up
to Bath Industrial Sales in Bath, Maine. (New Meadows Road exit off Route 1
north of Brunswick Naval Air Station and south of Bath Iron Works)

They handle all the surplus out of Bath Iron Works - sort of a New
Englander's version of Boeing surplus, albeit usually MUCH heavier
materials.

It's one of those places where you are openly invited to poke around in
nooks, crannies and back rooms that look as though they might be off-limits
- but they aren't.

A recent re-organization has the front showroom stocked with mostly new
stuff, but Steve - the owner - will usually proudly take you for the 50
cent tour. There's a LOT of metal scrap outside and some inside.

I would bet that there is all sorts of marine brass and bronze up there.

Now that I think of it, I haven't been there for a while myself, so I think
I'll head down there some day next week.

Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E.
Race Car Chassis Setup & Dial-in Services
JMartin957

[...]

Thanks, Bob. Haven't been up there in a while, and I guess I never saw those
back rooms! Think I recollect the owner as John something - sounds like it has
changed hands.

John Martin
Bob Paulin

JMartin957 wrote in article

Thanks, Bob. Haven't been up there in a while, and I guess I never saw

those
back rooms! Think I recollect the owner as John something - sounds like

it has
changed hands.

John Martin

John:

There are back rooms, upstairs, and the entire yard around the building.

Just pulled his card from my file, and the owner's name is Steve Hammond.
He's been there for a number of years now that I can remember.

The big goofy guy who is usually behind the counter is Steve's son, Hal -
the "Sales Manager."

Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E.
Race Car Chassis Setup and Dial-in Services

Bob Paulin

[...]

I just dug out their business card.

Owner's name is Steve Hammond.

The big goofy-looking kid behind the counter is Steve's son Hal - the
"Sales Manager"...but, Steve will often cut you a better deal on quantity
items.

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Sheet metal screw suppliers. Tim Downie UK diy 9 January 29th 04 11:18 PM
Creating very light hollow metal ornaments Marin Metalworking 4 January 23rd 04 02:41 AM
metal tubes Allan Adler Metalworking 7 September 26th 03 04:30 AM
sheet metal gas engine project clare @ snyder.on .ca Metalworking 10 August 27th 03 01:47 AM