Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john B. john B. is offline

Default COst of steel at metal suppliers

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 12:46:15 -0800 (PST), Transition Zone
wrote:

On Feb 11, 7:59*pm, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 12:55:45 -0800 (PST), Transition Zone

wrote:
On Feb 10, 7:49*pm, F.K. wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 12:51:59 -0800 (PST), Transition Zone

wrote:
On Feb 9, 3:22*pm, Ignoramus19809 ignoramus19...@NOSPAM.
19809.invalid wrote:
*If I was to buy steel at a metal supplier, in the quantity of a ton
or
*so, *how much would it cost per lb ?

Depends upon what kind of steel and where. *I remember I saw a TV
movie Columbo episode: "The Conspirators" (1978) which ended up being
about ships that traded cargo while out at sea. *Could this be a cheap
way of avoiding cheap import duties ?? *Like buying steel below
government-set prices??

(you do know that the price of steel is set by each country's
government, right)

No, I didn't know that.

Really?

Could you enlighten us and advise us of the U.S. National Agency that sets the price of steel in the U.S.,

Why, yes. Its called the Department of Commerce.

"A Mexican pipe manufacturer has retracted its challenge to anti-
dumping duties assessed by the U.S. Department of Commerce"
--http://www.law360.com/internationaltrade/articles/370796/mexican-pipe...

But that is not "setting steel prices". According to your reference it
is a case where the maker was selling in the U.S. at a cheaper price
then he sold in his own country, referred to as "dumping".

Which you can't do unless a price is set ... in both countries. Now.
You think I'm lying? Just go and buy a ton or more of steel overseas
at below that price and watch what happens.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

Dumping is difficult to prove as it requires the proof of sales prices
in the country of origin, which isn't set officially, but a matter of
market forces. If you don't believe me then get the actual trial
records (public records) and look at the proof provided in support of
the charges. It consists of reams and reams of quotations and sales
documents that provide an "average" price that the material was sold
at, in the originating country, usually over a long period of time. In
addition the same thing is done in the country of sales, for the same
purpose, to prove an average sales price.

If you don't believe that steel prices are market driven go and price
a 4' x 8' piece of 1/4" plate and then get a price on 500 tons of the
same material.
--
Cheers,

John B.