Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pistol Recommendations?

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 11:40:39 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 10:11:39 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I take it you found some bullet molds and brass for said caliber?

Ive got a few.

.452
Saco #130, 4 cavity with handles. .452, 185gr SWC
Lyman # 452460 1 cavity, .454, 200gr SWC

RCBS 45-201-KT (ACP)
RCBS 45-255-KT (Long Colt)
Lee 90489 HP, 225g Hollowpoint round nose 1 cavity

Are these 3 for .45?

54
Lee 54 caliber 380gr Maxiball/Conical

Sounds like a wrist-wrecker.

I should have at least 2 more 6.5 molds and at least one more .30..a
120gr for M1 Carbine..works great in the 3030.

There are a few there that I dont remember buying...
Strokes are a marvelous thing...really...sigh.

Just think, you got an inside look at Alzheimers, but you remember
that you don't know. I'm not sure which would be worse. Get good
nutrition. Maybe the synapses will reconnect.

I just loaded up 300 .41Magnums Found a 500 count box of 210gr Moly
coated SWCs. No idea where it came from.

What are SWCs?

It looks like I stocked up. And the 2 molds..and 2 sets of .41 Mag
dies. I sent the 3rd set to one of the lads here, for a gun he never
owned .

Ever figure out why?

Now Im going through the vaults recording model numbers and serial
numbers of the guns I never owned.

Weird! Got any 1911s you'd never miss? Eek, I wonder how many caches
will go missing, unremembered. Some anthropologist a millenium from
now will say "And here was the armory for a city of perhaps 1,000..."

Got a decent database program Im plugging the data into and taking
photos of all the guns I never owned that will be rcorded on a DVD
and sent off to relatives for extra safe keeping.

Good idea.

A busy Saturday morning.

What's the word on those knife books?

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 14:28:15 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
Larry Jaques on Fri, 11 Jan 2013

Isn't the first rule of self-defense
"If someone tries to kill you, you must kill them first." ?

Mal: "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right
back!"

"If someone approaches you to commit evil, rise up first and slay
them." It is in the Talmud, but I can't recall right now where.

tschus
pyotr

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Funny/Firefly

Good series. I still have the hots for the mechanic.
Sweet li'l horncat Kaylee. Lotsa nice women in that series.
I saw Inara nekkid in the series "Homeland". Her boobs were smaller,
and I think she was thinner. Niiiiice! But even that didn't make the
series worth watching beyond the first DVD. sigh

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!
--anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Semi Wad Cutters

[...]

Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner" wrote in message

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 14:34:51 -0600, "RogerN"
wrote:

snip
Oops, it's not a 629 stainless, it's a model 29 Nickel with 8-3/8" barrel,
my dad bought one for hunting, used on a wild boar hunt, years later it
got
stolen, and the one I have was the insurance company replacement that had
never been fired until I got it. I bought the dies for it and some 44
special brass, I like to use the 44 special for target shooting, hoping to
do some handgun deer hunting around here someday. I haven't been very
happy
with my accuracy with it so far, need to practice more!

Handload em about 900 FPS and put a good pair of Pachmeyer rubber
grips on it to fit your hand. They come in different sizes/shapes.

Most folks really DONT need 44 Mag ballistics and for the newbie..it
tends to create some bad quirks...like flinching.

You handload? If not..a Lee Loader will set you back about $40
including shipping for each caliber.

Yeah, all my 44 specials were hand loads, I bought new brass for 44 mag and
44 special. I only have reloading dies for 22-250, 264 Win Mag, 9mm and 44
Mag/Special. Need to get dies for 338 Win Mag and 30-30.

I was thinking of a 45ACP as sort of a better self defense choice over the
9mm. I'd keep the 9mm because I like it but the 45ACP would be the gun to
grab is someone's breaking in.

The 9mm with a decent bullet..a good jacketed hollowpoint is nothing
to sneeze at.

Feed a guy a couple of them and they tend to seriously reconsider
whatever it was you were shooting them for in the first place.

That's what I want to practice, multiple shots on each of multiple targets
rapidly.

snip
Also I'd only have 5 shots with the 44 if I
left an empty chamber to let the hammer down on. If the lefttard gun
grabbers have their way then we'll probably have mob rule.

There is NO good reason to keep an empty chamber in a loaded double
action revolver.

I keep my gun in a safe place but with easy access in case it's needed. The
reasoning for an empty cylinder is that I read some do this to let the
hammer down on, I noticed the hammer is blocked so I don't think it needs
the empty chamber. For safety purposes, I don't keep a gun ready to fire at
the pull of a trigger, you have to do something more than pull the trigger
to get them to fire, in semi's the chamber is empty.

snip
On the electrically fired primer thing, an array of photo-eyes could be
set
up, each having a piece of 3/4 pipe with a 12 gauge shell, (think ~ 30
single shot shotguns covering areas of my home), so if my home was under
attack from a gang, I could enable the system to automatically fire a
shotgun shell aimed inline with the photo-eye trip "wire". I thought if
it
would work good, it would be easier to fire the primer electrically
instead
of making ~30 firing pin & hammer mechanisms.

RogerN

If you are going to go that route... simply get 30 pieces of 1 1/4 to
2" steel pipe about 14" long and put an endcap on one end, drill it
and install Nicrom wire ignitors for model rockets, silicon the ****
out of that end, then put in about 1 oz of black powder, some wadding,
a handful of roofing nails along with a couple dozen nuts..1/2" are
good..., another wad and then put a plastic pipe cap on the end and
seal it with silcone. Run your wires back to a switchbox with a nice
big rotary switch and voila..instant cheapy claymore. Much bigger
delivery system than simple shotgun shells. The biggest issue is
mounting them so when you fire them..the pipe doesnt go flying some
place it shouldnt fly. and never..ever..never bring a battery anywhere
close to that rig unless Bad **** (tm) is about to hit the impeller.
Having an AD will be rough on the neighbors, the livestock, your
family etc etc etc.

I'd like to have something ready for quick setup but not leave anything set
up that would be too dangerous. If there are reports of gang violence in my
area, then arm the system. Some info I found in PDF's used the pipe and
shotgun shell with a mousetrap and trip string, after it's all set you put
the firing pin (nail) in place to arm it.

Now I can tell you how to make even more effective area denial
devices..but not here. Shrug

Its entirely possible to simply make an actual claymore..or one that
works damned near as well. Just needs some high nitrate fertilizer
and a few other ingrediants .. Nothing particularly special.
A teflon meatloaf pan makes a great mold for pouring the melted high
energy compound laced with a couple pounds of nuts and bolts on your
quarter inch thick back plate. Paint it really good with some epoxy
paint..about 4 coats..and voila....shrug.

Ever try the binary exploding targets?

snip

Ill be sending you a link, if your email addy is good.

Gunner

Got the link, nice toys!

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 11:15:02 -0600, "RogerN"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

It depends on whether it has a hammer blocker. If it was made before
1970 or so, it probably doesn't. Don't leave the hammer down on a
loaded chamber if the gun doesn't have a hammer blocker. A blow to the
hammer could fire the gun.

This is why Bullseye competition is shot in five-round groups. The
"centerfire" gun usually was a target revolver. Most people now use
semis for both the "centerfire" and the ".45" guns, but the five-shot
group remains. In the '50s and '60s, when I was active, only a nimrod
loaded all chambers in a revolver. It was the sign of a beginner or
someone who didn't know what he was about.

Scraper

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I take it you found some bullet molds and brass for said caliber?

Ive got a few.

.452
Saco #130, 4 cavity with handles. .452, 185gr SWC
Lyman # 452460 1 cavity, .454, 200gr SWC

RCBS 45-201-KT (ACP)
RCBS 45-255-KT (Long Colt)
Lee 90489 HP, 225g Hollowpoint round nose 1 cavity

Are these 3 for .45?

Ayup. 2 for 45 ACP, one for 45 Long Colt.

54
Lee 54 caliber 380gr Maxiball/Conical

Sounds like a wrist-wrecker.

Its a rifle bullet for black powder guns.

I should have at least 2 more 6.5 molds and at least one more .30..a
120gr for M1 Carbine..works great in the 3030.

There are a few there that I dont remember buying...
Strokes are a marvelous thing...really...sigh.

Just think, you got an inside look at Alzheimers, but you remember
that you don't know. I'm not sure which would be worse. Get good
nutrition. Maybe the synapses will reconnect.

Oh they have been doing just fine. I have few problems these days, but
I certainly have a smokey period in my memory from 2008-2011

I just loaded up 300 .41Magnums Found a 500 count box of 210gr Moly
coated SWCs. No idea where it came from.

What are SWCs?

Semi Wad Cutter. Probably the most effective lead bullet design for
use on tissue to targets.

http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/jpeg2/FOR102.gif

It looks like I stocked up. And the 2 molds..and 2 sets of .41 Mag
dies. I sent the 3rd set to one of the lads here, for a gun he never
owned .

Ever figure out why?

Of course. He needed it for the gun he doesnt own.

Now Im going through the vaults recording model numbers and serial
numbers of the guns I never owned.

Weird! Got any 1911s you'd never miss? Eek, I wonder how many caches
will go missing, unremembered. Some anthropologist a millenium from
now will say "And here was the armory for a city of perhaps 1,000..."

Got a few extras...but..Ill hang on to most of them. I added a few
more late last night if you havent checked the photo link I sent you.

Got a decent database program Im plugging the data into and taking
photos of all the guns I never owned that will be rcorded on a DVD
and sent off to relatives for extra safe keeping.

Good idea.

A busy Saturday morning.

What's the word on those knife books?

Not a thing. Time to put out another request again. Thanks for
reminding me. Were you able to use anything I had posted?

https://drive.google.com/?tab=wo&aut...GRvWGVnQm1mX2s
https://drive.google.com/?tab=wo&aut...EyNTZhMmZiZTc5

Ill keep adding stuff as I get it

Gunner

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 11:15:02 -0600, "RogerN"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I may have a spare 3030 die set or two.

I was thinking of a 45ACP as sort of a better self defense choice over the
9mm. I'd keep the 9mm because I like it but the 45ACP would be the gun to
grab is someone's breaking in.

The 9mm with a decent bullet..a good jacketed hollowpoint is nothing
to sneeze at.

Feed a guy a couple of them and they tend to seriously reconsider
whatever it was you were shooting them for in the first place.

That's what I want to practice, multiple shots on each of multiple targets
rapidly.

Good.

snip
Also I'd only have 5 shots with the 44 if I
left an empty chamber to let the hammer down on. If the lefttard gun
grabbers have their way then we'll probably have mob rule.

There is NO good reason to keep an empty chamber in a loaded double
action revolver.

I keep my gun in a safe place but with easy access in case it's needed. The
reasoning for an empty cylinder is that I read some do this to let the
hammer down on, I noticed the hammer is blocked so I don't think it needs
the empty chamber. For safety purposes, I don't keep a gun ready to fire at
the pull of a trigger, you have to do something more than pull the trigger
to get them to fire, in semi's the chamber is empty.

You keep an empty chamber in a Semiauto? Why?

[...]

Mechanical triggers are not as reliable as electric ones in this
application.

Now I can tell you how to make even more effective area denial
devices..but not here. Shrug

Its entirely possible to simply make an actual claymore..or one that
works damned near as well. Just needs some high nitrate fertilizer
and a few other ingrediants .. Nothing particularly special.
A teflon meatloaf pan makes a great mold for pouring the melted high
energy compound laced with a couple pounds of nuts and bolts on your
quarter inch thick back plate. Paint it really good with some epoxy
paint..about 4 coats..and voila....shrug.

Ever try the binary exploding targets?

Ayup, fun but pricey. So I dont bother with them. Only thing I can
see they would be practical for is a FooGas trigger.

snip

Ill be sending you a link, if your email addy is good.

Gunner

Got the link, nice toys!

RogerN

Added a couple more. Now Im doing the long guns.
Check back periodically.

And I cant find the damned Carcano! Im missing at least a dozen
weapons. All low dollar ones...but they are not around or buried in
safe places. I sold 5 after the surgery when I wasnt able to work
much..but they were high dollar ones. Brownings, A Sako etc.

I really miss the 7x57s ....if you ever stumble across a shooter...

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 13:50:32 -0500, Tim M wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 11:15:02 -0600, "RogerN"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Hammer blocks came in long before 1970. With Smith..it was in '42 or
43 on the few that they hadnt done before that.
Double action revolvers of course.

This is why Bullseye competition is shot in five-round groups. The
"centerfire" gun usually was a target revolver. Most people now use
semis for both the "centerfire" and the ".45" guns, but the five-shot
group remains. In the '50s and '60s, when I was active, only a nimrod
loaded all chambers in a revolver. It was the sign of a beginner or
someone who didn't know what he was about.

That was primarily for the single actions. Ive got a 38/44
Outdoorsman that was made in '38 that has a hammer block. Smith
started evolving them around 1906 or so and came up the current
rebounding hammer block in the early 1940s

After that point..one could drop one on the hammer with no issues.
The result of a M&P being dropped on a steel deck in the Navy and a
sailor being killed.

As I recall..Iver Johnson is credited with inventing the hammer block
around 1900

Even if the firing pin is on the hammer, few arms (except single
actions) will fire if dropped as the block keeps it proud of the
primer.

As an old match shooter, I was always told the 5 shot relay was to
help keep scores better.

Gunner

Scraper

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Oh, right. Memory is the second thing to go. g A lot of target
revolvers from the '50s or so, when mine was made, had the transfer
bar or hammer blocker tricked by a gunsmith as part of the trigger
job, if the gun was to be used strictly for targets. The idea was to
smooth the trigger pull by not having the bar or whatever slid up by
the trigger.

Regular revolvers by that time all had something for safety with a
round in the chamber. Roger should ignore my comment.

As an old match shooter, I was always told the 5 shot relay was to
help keep scores better.

I don't know. Shooting five shots in Bullseye was taught as part of
not leaving a full chamber under the hammer, when I started shooting.
It may be legend.

Scraper

Gunner

Scraper

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I take it you found some bullet molds and brass for said caliber?

Ive got a few.

.452
Saco #130, 4 cavity with handles. .452, 185gr SWC
Lyman # 452460 1 cavity, .454, 200gr SWC

RCBS 45-201-KT (ACP)
RCBS 45-255-KT (Long Colt)
Lee 90489 HP, 225g Hollowpoint round nose 1 cavity

Are these 3 for .45?

Ayup. 2 for 45 ACP, one for 45 Long Colt.

OK.

54
Lee 54 caliber 380gr Maxiball/Conical

Sounds like a wrist-wrecker.

Its a rifle bullet for black powder guns.

Those I've shot have less recoil than modern rifles. I wouldn't have
had the bone bruise if I hadn't listened to the owner of the 20mm
long gun. He used cannabis sativa rope fusing to light the matchlock.
Anyway, I bruised the front side of my right deltoid due to the way he
had me hold my elbow out straight. I didn't think it kicked that much
until it hit the bone through the muscle. My pec would have shrugged
that off in milliseconds. I'll use my own instincts next time some
reenactor gives me instructions. sigh It was fun shooting a bigass
lead ball through a barrel previously used on a Vulcan cannon. It
gives me warm fuzzies.

I should have at least 2 more 6.5 molds and at least one more .30..a
120gr for M1 Carbine..works great in the 3030.

There are a few there that I dont remember buying...
Strokes are a marvelous thing...really...sigh.

Just think, you got an inside look at Alzheimers, but you remember
that you don't know. I'm not sure which would be worse. Get good
nutrition. Maybe the synapses will reconnect.

Oh they have been doing just fine. I have few problems these days, but
I certainly have a smokey period in my memory from 2008-2011

I just loaded up 300 .41Magnums Found a 500 count box of 210gr Moly
coated SWCs. No idea where it came from.

What are SWCs?

Semi Wad Cutter. Probably the most effective lead bullet design for
use on tissue to targets.

http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/jpeg2/FOR102.gif

Got it. I had wondered if you had reload molds for .45 wad cutters.

It looks like I stocked up. And the 2 molds..and 2 sets of .41 Mag
dies. I sent the 3rd set to one of the lads here, for a gun he never
owned .

Ever figure out why?

Of course. He needed it for the gun he doesnt own. G

I'm guessing he either wanted to buy one or shot someone else's.

Now Im going through the vaults recording model numbers and serial
numbers of the guns I never owned.

Weird! Got any 1911s you'd never miss? Eek, I wonder how many caches
will go missing, unremembered. Some anthropologist a millenium from
now will say "And here was the armory for a city of perhaps 1,000..."

Got a few extras...but..Ill hang on to most of them. I added a few
more late last night if you havent checked the photo link I sent you.

No, I havent yet.

Got a decent database program Im plugging the data into and taking
photos of all the guns I never owned that will be rcorded on a DVD
and sent off to relatives for extra safe keeping.

Good idea.

A busy Saturday morning.

What's the word on those knife books?

Not a thing. Time to put out another request again. Thanks for
reminding me. Were you able to use anything I had posted?

All the PDFs were readable but none of the RARs were. And since you
forgot your password...

https://drive.google.com/?tab=wo&aut...GRvWGVnQm1mX2s
https://drive.google.com/?tab=wo&aut...EyNTZhMmZiZTc5

Ill keep adding stuff as I get it

Bueno. I see a Ragnar dir but no ragnar books.

--
Believe nothing.
No matter where you read it,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

grin Yes, as the course of shooting consisted of ten shots fired at
a target it would have been a bit awkward to fire a course, of rapid
fire for example, as 6 rounds and then 4 :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 13:50:32 -0500, Tim M wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 11:15:02 -0600, "RogerN"
wrote:

m...

wrote:

[...]

I used to shoot on a team with one guy that was still shooting a
revolver for center-fire and .45 and I remember him talking about
being extra careful to close the cylinder with the empty chamber under
the hammer.... not for safety reasons but to be damned sure that he
didn't get off three or four shots and then click on the empty
chamber. He said it really did destroy your concentration.

As for disabling safeties, I've seen a large number of 1911 target
pistols with the grip safety disabled although in fact I doubt that
any reasonably competent target shooter gripped the gun in a manner
that didn't depress the grip safety.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 07:55:13 +0700, J.B.Slocomb
wrote:

snip

[...]

It's a habit that I still have, and which becomes second nature with
practice, but your friend is right. Screwing it up can ruin your day.

As for disabling safeties, I've seen a large number of 1911 target
pistols with the grip safety disabled although in fact I doubt that
any reasonably competent target shooter gripped the gun in a manner
that didn't depress the grip safety.

The grip safety on my 1911 was disabled when I bought it second-hand
from another Bullseye shooter. I had it re-enabled because I was used
to 1911s and didn't have a problem with the grip safety. I thought I
might get lazy if I got used to not having it.

I've owned three Series 70s. One of them had a tricky grip safety that
had to be squeezed just right or it didn't shoot. The other two were
manufactured by Colt and their grip safeties were very forgiving.

Scraper
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That 54 Lee mold is available to anyone who needs it btw. I dont have
a 54 caliber and have no need for one. All my black powder rifles are
50, except for two which are 45 caliber and 36 caliber.

[...]

Full Wadcutters dont work very well in self loading pistols, hence the
SWC which does work fine in self loaders. Full wad cutters work just
fine in revolvers. There is one S&W auto that was designed for full
wad cutters..but they are pretty rare.

It looks like I stocked up. And the 2 molds..and 2 sets of .41 Mag
dies. I sent the 3rd set to one of the lads here, for a gun he never
owned .

Ever figure out why?

Of course. He needed it for the gun he doesnt own. G

I'm guessing he either wanted to buy one or shot someone else's.

What..you didnt read the various threads where we got rid of all our
guns and showed how we are now harmless, helpless individuals?

Its Twue!!

Now Im going through the vaults recording model numbers and serial
numbers of the guns I never owned.

Weird! Got any 1911s you'd never miss? Eek, I wonder how many caches
will go missing, unremembered. Some anthropologist a millenium from
now will say "And here was the armory for a city of perhaps 1,000..."

Got a few extras...but..Ill hang on to most of them. I added a few
more late last night if you havent checked the photo link I sent you.

No, I havent yet.

Keep watching, Im adding stuff so it will get pretty good sized over
the next month or so.

Got a decent database program Im plugging the data into and taking
photos of all the guns I never owned that will be rcorded on a DVD
and sent off to relatives for extra safe keeping.

Good idea.

A busy Saturday morning.

What's the word on those knife books?

Not a thing. Time to put out another request again. Thanks for
reminding me. Were you able to use anything I had posted?

All the PDFs were readable but none of the RARs were. And since you
forgot your password...

Never had a password for those. I checked and that site is down so I
will have to find other versions.

https://drive.google.com/?tab=wo&aut...GRvWGVnQm1mX2s
https://drive.google.com/?tab=wo&aut...EyNTZhMmZiZTc5

Ill keep adding stuff as I get it

Bueno. I see a Ragnar dir but no ragnar books.

Ill keep adding stuff as I get around to it. Ive been pretty busy
around here.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, January 10, 2013 3:53:24 AM UTC-8, RogerN wrote:
I stopped by a gun dealer yesterday on the way home, I'm looking for something for home defense before the Nazi's ban everything but caulk guns. I'm trying to decide between two types of guns, one would be a compact concealed carry gun if that ever becomes legal in Illinois. The other I'm considering is probably a 45ACP, maybe a 1911 or 1911 Compact. The dealer had several 1911's, they had a Springfield 1911 in my price range and a "Mil Spec" that might have been a little cheaper IIRC. So, would I be best off to get a full size 1911 and then buy a concealed carry gun later if the state allows concealed carry? Or would a 1911 compact possibly serve both purposes, shoot as good as a full size 1911 but be more "concealed carry" friendly? Is the Springfield 1911 a good one or is there a better option for the money? I guess the reality of it is, the bigger the gun the less often I would carry it, I may be better off with a full size 1911 and get a concealed carry gun later if/when Illinois permits it. Thanks! RogerN

Get yourself a 12ga shotgun with a pistol grip. Load it with 00 buck. Set yourself up a practice range and get comfortble hitting targets at 5-10 ft away.

Set the range up such that you're moving from target to target. Get good at it.

You'll never have to worry about having to use more than one shot. Just practice.

If the gal back east had one instead of that measly 38 there'd be one less perp to worry about.

good luck

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 21:35:55 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

Get a 12ga shotgun with a pistol grp AND a buttock if you want..but a
pistol grip only is a very very poor way to shoot.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 20:15:55 -0500, Tim M wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 07:55:13 +0700, J.B.Slocomb
wrote:

snip

[...]

I used to build 1911 target pistols and I used to grind the tang on
the grip safety back a bit so it still functioned but the slightest
movement was enough to allow the gun to fire. I figured if I was
selling the gun it ought to be functional.

The silly part is that if you can shoot a .45 pistol even a little bit
you have already learned to get a death grip in the handle so the
whole safety/no safety thing is largely immaterial :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 19:01:32 +0700, J.B.Slocomb
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 20:15:55 -0500, Tim M wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 07:55:13 +0700, J.B.Slocomb
wrote:

snip

[...]

Death grip? With a 45?

Only if its your first time shooting or you have the hands of a 12 yr
old girl.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote

Get yourself a 12ga shotgun with a pistol grip. Load it with 00 buck. Set
yourself up a practice range and get comfortble hitting targets at 5-10 ft
away.

Set the range up such that you're moving from target to target. Get good at
it.

You'll never have to worry about having to use more than one shot. Just
practice.

If the gal back east had one instead of that measly 38 there'd be one less
perp to worry about.

good luck

* * * *

I guess you haven't been watching this thread closely. I suggested this
early on, even made some statements on my own experiences and capabilities
with a shotgun, but was corrected immediately by the know-it-alls of the
group, and explained the error of my ways.

Still, I own XX guns. And if there's a dustup, and I have to grab a gun and
go, it's always a shotgun. In the house, it's a plain 870 Wingmaster (1974
mfd.) and in the shop, it's a sawed off Ithaca Featherlight, both with 12
ga. 00 buck.

Each person can carry into battle what they think will serve them the best.
For me, I'll take a 12 ga. pump any day, and reliability tops the list of
why. Any semi-auto can jam, or have O ring failure. Revolvers are
reliable, but you have to be a good shot, and the round carries a very long
distance.

If I were to buy a totally dedicated house gun, it would be a Mossberg
Mariner, or a Benelli with a long tube, pistol grip, as you say. Maybe even
a drum magazine.

Stand by for flames by the netnanny nazis.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner" wrote

Get a 12ga shotgun with a pistol grp AND a buttock if you want..but a
pistol grip only is a very very poor way to shoot.

Gunner

They are also hard on the wrists. Going to Dr. for first appt. on carpal
Feb. 1. Can't imagine shooting the sawed off pistol grip Ithaca right now,
but if I had to ................... in a heartbeat.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 10:00:07 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote

Get a 12ga shotgun with a pistol grp AND a buttock if you want..but a
pistol grip only is a very very poor way to shoot.

Gunner

They are also hard on the wrists. Going to Dr. for first appt. on carpal
Feb. 1. Can't imagine shooting the sawed off pistol grip Ithaca right now,
but if I had to ................... in a heartbeat.

Steve

Lets hope you hit the target with it, if the need arises.

Ive tested them extensively over the years. And they are Hard to
shoot and hit your target. Seriously.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, January 14, 2013 9:28:59 AM UTC-8, Gunner wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 10:00:07 -0700, "Steve B"

wrote:

"Gunner" wrote

Get a 12ga shotgun with a pistol grp AND a buttock if you want..but a

pistol grip only is a very very poor way to shoot.

Gunner

They are also hard on the wrists. Going to Dr. for first appt. on carpal

Feb. 1. Can't imagine shooting the sawed off pistol grip Ithaca right now,

but if I had to ................... in a heartbeat.

Steve

Lets hope you hit the target with it, if the need arises.

Ive tested them extensively over the years. And they are Hard to

shoot and hit your target. Seriously.

Gunner

1. Lie

True, they can be, but that's why you practice.

In HD, it's all about practice and being prepared.

Think what your parents told you, "practice, practice ... and nothing comes easy"

To each there own ...

gl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 11:10:32 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Monday, January 14, 2013 9:28:59 AM UTC-8, Gunner wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 10:00:07 -0700, "Steve B"

wrote:

"Gunner" wrote

[...]

As Ive stated, Ive had several of them over the years and have fired
probably 1000+ rounds on weapons with the pistol grips alone.

I used to write for a couple of the trade journals.

And I dont have a weapon with one on it, nor will I.

But..each to their own.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner" wrote

Ive tested them extensively over the years. And they are Hard to
shoot and hit your target. Seriously.

Gunner

When I want to hit something, I get out the 870. I've gotten very good on
quail in the past few years. But I think that is from waiting for the shot.
Just acquiring the target, swinging until dead on, and then the follow
through. It is amazing the range even field loads have if you just follow a
little longer. Plus, it doesn't blow the **** out of the meat.

Love dem little brined quail in gravy.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner" wrote

As Ive stated, Ive had several of them over the years and have fired
probably 1000+ rounds on weapons with the pistol grips alone.

I used to write for a couple of the trade journals.

And I dont have a weapon with one on it, nor will I.

But..each to their own.

Gunner

You own no pistols?

Steve

hehe

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 13:00:48 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote

As Ive stated, Ive had several of them over the years and have fired
probably 1000+ rounds on weapons with the pistol grips alone.

I used to write for a couple of the trade journals.

And I dont have a weapon with one on it, nor will I.

But..each to their own.

Gunner

You own no pistols?

Steve

hehe

Pistols? Me? Sold em all to a stranger months ago.

In another state of course.

I needed money to buy toys for a Liberal School Teacher to pass out to
the less fortunate.

Really

Gunner

1. Lie