Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J.B.Slocomb J.B.Slocomb is offline

Default Pistol Recommendations?

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 12:36:31 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 13:50:32 -0500, Tim M wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 11:15:02 -0600, "RogerN"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 14:34:51 -0600, "RogerN"
wrote:

snip
Oops, it's not a 629 stainless, it's a model 29 Nickel with 8-3/8" barrel,
my dad bought one for hunting, used on a wild boar hunt, years later it
got
stolen, and the one I have was the insurance company replacement that had
never been fired until I got it. I bought the dies for it and some 44
special brass, I like to use the 44 special for target shooting, hoping to
do some handgun deer hunting around here someday. I haven't been very
happy
with my accuracy with it so far, need to practice more!

Handload em about 900 FPS and put a good pair of Pachmeyer rubber
grips on it to fit your hand. They come in different sizes/shapes.

Most folks really DONT need 44 Mag ballistics and for the newbie..it
tends to create some bad quirks...like flinching.

You handload? If not..a Lee Loader will set you back about $40
including shipping for each caliber.

Yeah, all my 44 specials were hand loads, I bought new brass for 44 mag and
44 special. I only have reloading dies for 22-250, 264 Win Mag, 9mm and 44
Mag/Special. Need to get dies for 338 Win Mag and 30-30.

I was thinking of a 45ACP as sort of a better self defense choice over the
9mm. I'd keep the 9mm because I like it but the 45ACP would be the gun to
grab is someone's breaking in.

The 9mm with a decent bullet..a good jacketed hollowpoint is nothing
to sneeze at.

Feed a guy a couple of them and they tend to seriously reconsider
whatever it was you were shooting them for in the first place.

That's what I want to practice, multiple shots on each of multiple targets
rapidly.

snip
Also I'd only have 5 shots with the 44 if I
left an empty chamber to let the hammer down on. If the lefttard gun
grabbers have their way then we'll probably have mob rule.

There is NO good reason to keep an empty chamber in a loaded double
action revolver.

It depends on whether it has a hammer blocker. If it was made before
1970 or so, it probably doesn't. Don't leave the hammer down on a
loaded chamber if the gun doesn't have a hammer blocker. A blow to the
hammer could fire the gun.

Hammer blocks came in long before 1970. With Smith..it was in '42 or
43 on the few that they hadnt done before that.
Double action revolvers of course.

This is why Bullseye competition is shot in five-round groups. The
"centerfire" gun usually was a target revolver. Most people now use
semis for both the "centerfire" and the ".45" guns, but the five-shot
group remains. In the '50s and '60s, when I was active, only a nimrod
loaded all chambers in a revolver. It was the sign of a beginner or
someone who didn't know what he was about.

That was primarily for the single actions. Ive got a 38/44
Outdoorsman that was made in '38 that has a hammer block. Smith
started evolving them around 1906 or so and came up the current
rebounding hammer block in the early 1940s

After that point..one could drop one on the hammer with no issues.
The result of a M&P being dropped on a steel deck in the Navy and a
sailor being killed.

As I recall..Iver Johnson is credited with inventing the hammer block
around 1900

Even if the firing pin is on the hammer, few arms (except single
actions) will fire if dropped as the block keeps it proud of the
primer.

As an old match shooter, I was always told the 5 shot relay was to
help keep scores better.

Gunner

grin Yes, as the course of shooting consisted of ten shots fired at
a target it would have been a bit awkward to fire a course, of rapid
fire for example, as 6 rounds and then 4 :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.