Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim M Tim M is offline

Default Pistol Recommendations?

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 07:55:13 +0700, J.B.Slocomb
wrote:

snip

Oh, right. Memory is the second thing to go. g A lot of target
revolvers from the '50s or so, when mine was made, had the transfer
bar or hammer blocker tricked by a gunsmith as part of the trigger
job, if the gun was to be used strictly for targets. The idea was to
smooth the trigger pull by not having the bar or whatever slid up by
the trigger.

Regular revolvers by that time all had something for safety with a
round in the chamber. Roger should ignore my comment.

As an old match shooter, I was always told the 5 shot relay was to
help keep scores better.

I don't know. Shooting five shots in Bullseye was taught as part of
not leaving a full chamber under the hammer, when I started shooting.
It may be legend.

Scraper

I used to shoot on a team with one guy that was still shooting a
revolver for center-fire and .45 and I remember him talking about
being extra careful to close the cylinder with the empty chamber under
the hammer.... not for safety reasons but to be damned sure that he
didn't get off three or four shots and then click on the empty
chamber. He said it really did destroy your concentration.

It's a habit that I still have, and which becomes second nature with
practice, but your friend is right. Screwing it up can ruin your day.

As for disabling safeties, I've seen a large number of 1911 target
pistols with the grip safety disabled although in fact I doubt that
any reasonably competent target shooter gripped the gun in a manner
that didn't depress the grip safety.

The grip safety on my 1911 was disabled when I bought it second-hand
from another Bullseye shooter. I had it re-enabled because I was used
to 1911s and didn't have a problem with the grip safety. I thought I
might get lazy if I got used to not having it.

I've owned three Series 70s. One of them had a tricky grip safety that
had to be squeezed just right or it didn't shoot. The other two were
manufactured by Colt and their grip safeties were very forgiving.

Scraper