Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CA accelerator discoloration

I am gluing some copper to wood with CA. Anyone knows how to get rid
of the white/blue/green discoloration that develops with an
accelerator? It disappears when washed with 99% isopropanol or acetone
but reappears after drying.

I understand that there may be a way to avoid getting the white stuff
by not using so much of the accelerator but is there any way to get
rid of it *after* the fact?

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 23:19:14 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

I am gluing some copper to wood with CA. Anyone knows how to get rid
of the white/blue/green discoloration that develops with an
accelerator? It disappears when washed with 99% isopropanol or acetone
but reappears after drying.

I understand that there may be a way to avoid getting the white stuff
by not using so much of the accelerator but is there any way to get
rid of it *after* the fact?

Metal polish? Polishing compound?

Salt + lemon juice cleans it, but MAAS metal polish cleans and
protects from oxidizing again. Try that. About $5 for a tube not much
larger than your thumb, but it goes a long way. Works on most metals.
I've had luck with copper, brass, silver plate, aluminum (I think),
and stainless steel.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 7, 12:17*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 06:15:54 -0600, Pete Keillor wrote:
On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 23:59:23 -0600, Richard
wrote:

On 12/6/2012 9:00 PM, wrote:
I am gluing some copper to wood with CA. Anyone knows how to get rid
of the white/blue/green discoloration that develops with an
accelerator? It disappears when washed with 99% isopropanol or acetone
but reappears after drying.

I understand that there may be a way to avoid getting the white stuff
by not using so much of the accelerator but is there any way to get
rid of it *after* the fact?

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Yeah, don't use the accelerator.

What he said. *Accelerator active ingredient is N,N-dimethyl
p-toluidene, a tertiary amine. *Amines react with copper to form
quaternary amine complexes. *In other words, they eat copper.

Pete Keillor

Or at least go at it knowing that you're going to need to use a polishing
compound that's going to actually remove the material.

I wouldn't expect a CA to wood bond to be secure in the long run. *If you
need strength, I think epoxy would be better, or maybe contact cement.

Tim Wescott, Communications, Control, Circuits & Softwarehttp://www.wescottdesign.com- Hide quoted text -

I'd use a silicone adhesive(or screws). Wood moves, copper doesn't, a
rigid bond is going to shear. Copper isn't going to stay shiny unless
you coat it with lacquer or wax.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 12/6/2012 9:00 PM, wrote:
[...]

Which is why I keep recommending any of the many flavors of Goop.
Good strong flexible bond, cheap, easy cleanup.

For a job like this, Plumbers Goop - very low viscosity will make
for a smooth thin film.

Excellent bond.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 14:48:26 -0600, Richard
wrote:

[...]

Which is why I keep recommending any of the many flavors of Goop.
Good strong flexible bond, cheap, easy cleanup.

For a job like this, Plumbers Goop - very low viscosity will make
for a smooth thin film.

Excellent bond.

It would have been my first choice but not feasible in this
application. The same reason why accelerator was desirable.

I changed the way I apply the accelerator and I no longer see the
discoloration and get a secure bond quickly. Problem solved.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC