Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CA accelerator discoloration

On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 23:19:14 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

I am gluing some copper to wood with CA. Anyone knows how to get rid
of the white/blue/green discoloration that develops with an
accelerator? It disappears when washed with 99% isopropanol or acetone
but reappears after drying.

I understand that there may be a way to avoid getting the white stuff
by not using so much of the accelerator but is there any way to get
rid of it *after* the fact?

Metal polish? Polishing compound?

Salt + lemon juice cleans it, but MAAS metal polish cleans and
protects from oxidizing again. Try that. About $5 for a tube not much
larger than your thumb, but it goes a long way. Works on most metals.
I've had luck with copper, brass, silver plate, aluminum (I think),
and stainless steel.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable