Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stanley Schaefer Stanley Schaefer is offline

Default CA accelerator discoloration

On Dec 7, 12:17*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 06:15:54 -0600, Pete Keillor wrote:
On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 23:59:23 -0600, Richard
wrote:

On 12/6/2012 9:00 PM, wrote:
I am gluing some copper to wood with CA. Anyone knows how to get rid
of the white/blue/green discoloration that develops with an
accelerator? It disappears when washed with 99% isopropanol or acetone
but reappears after drying.

I understand that there may be a way to avoid getting the white stuff
by not using so much of the accelerator but is there any way to get
rid of it *after* the fact?

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Yeah, don't use the accelerator.

What he said. *Accelerator active ingredient is N,N-dimethyl
p-toluidene, a tertiary amine. *Amines react with copper to form
quaternary amine complexes. *In other words, they eat copper.

Pete Keillor

Or at least go at it knowing that you're going to need to use a polishing
compound that's going to actually remove the material.

I wouldn't expect a CA to wood bond to be secure in the long run. *If you
need strength, I think epoxy would be better, or maybe contact cement.

Tim Wescott, Communications, Control, Circuits & Softwarehttp://www.wescottdesign.com- Hide quoted text -

I'd use a silicone adhesive(or screws). Wood moves, copper doesn't, a
rigid bond is going to shear. Copper isn't going to stay shiny unless
you coat it with lacquer or wax.

Stan