DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   CA accelerator discoloration (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/350105-ca-accelerator-discoloration.html)

[email protected] December 7th 12 03:00 AM

CA accelerator discoloration

I am gluing some copper to wood with CA. Anyone knows how to get rid
of the white/blue/green discoloration that develops with an
accelerator? It disappears when washed with 99% isopropanol or acetone
but reappears after drying.

I understand that there may be a way to avoid getting the white stuff
by not using so much of the accelerator but is there any way to get
rid of it *after* the fact?

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Michael A. Terrell December 7th 12 04:19 AM

wrote:

I am gluing some copper to wood with CA. Anyone knows how to get rid
of the white/blue/green discoloration that develops with an
accelerator? It disappears when washed with 99% isopropanol or acetone
but reappears after drying.

I understand that there may be a way to avoid getting the white stuff
by not using so much of the accelerator but is there any way to get
rid of it *after* the fact?

Metal polish? Polishing compound?

Larry Jaques[_4_] December 7th 12 04:24 AM

CA accelerator discoloration

On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 23:19:14 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

I am gluing some copper to wood with CA. Anyone knows how to get rid
of the white/blue/green discoloration that develops with an
accelerator? It disappears when washed with 99% isopropanol or acetone
but reappears after drying.

I understand that there may be a way to avoid getting the white stuff
by not using so much of the accelerator but is there any way to get
rid of it *after* the fact?

Metal polish? Polishing compound?

Salt + lemon juice cleans it, but MAAS metal polish cleans and
protects from oxidizing again. Try that. About $5 for a tube not much
larger than your thumb, but it goes a long way. Works on most metals.
I've had luck with copper, brass, silver plate, aluminum (I think),
and stainless steel.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable

Richard[_9_] December 7th 12 05:59 AM

On 12/6/2012 9:00 PM, wrote:
I am gluing some copper to wood with CA. Anyone knows how to get rid
of the white/blue/green discoloration that develops with an
accelerator? It disappears when washed with 99% isopropanol or acetone
but reappears after drying.

I understand that there may be a way to avoid getting the white stuff
by not using so much of the accelerator but is there any way to get
rid of it *after* the fact?

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Yeah, don't use the accelerator.

Pete Keillor[_2_] December 7th 12 12:15 PM

CA accelerator discoloration

On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 23:59:23 -0600, Richard
wrote:

On 12/6/2012 9:00 PM, wrote:
I am gluing some copper to wood with CA. Anyone knows how to get rid
of the white/blue/green discoloration that develops with an
accelerator? It disappears when washed with 99% isopropanol or acetone
but reappears after drying.

I understand that there may be a way to avoid getting the white stuff
by not using so much of the accelerator but is there any way to get
rid of it *after* the fact?

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Yeah, don't use the accelerator.

What he said. Accelerator active ingredient is N,N-dimethyl
p-toluidene, a tertiary amine. Amines react with copper to form
quaternary amine complexes. In other words, they eat copper.

Pete Keillor

Tim Wescott December 7th 12 07:17 PM

wrote:

On 12/6/2012 9:00 PM, wrote:
I am gluing some copper to wood with CA. Anyone knows how to get rid
of the white/blue/green discoloration that develops with an
accelerator? It disappears when washed with 99% isopropanol or acetone
but reappears after drying.

I understand that there may be a way to avoid getting the white stuff
by not using so much of the accelerator but is there any way to get
rid of it *after* the fact?

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Yeah, don't use the accelerator.

What he said. Accelerator active ingredient is N,N-dimethyl
p-toluidene, a tertiary amine. Amines react with copper to form
quaternary amine complexes. In other words, they eat copper.

Pete Keillor

Or at least go at it knowing that you're going to need to use a polishing
compound that's going to actually remove the material.

I wouldn't expect a CA to wood bond to be secure in the long run. If you
need strength, I think epoxy would be better, or maybe contact cement.

http://www.wescottdesign.com

Stanley Schaefer December 7th 12 08:10 PM

wrote:

On 12/6/2012 9:00 PM, wrote:
[...]

Tim Wescott, Communications, Control, Circuits & Softwarehttp://www.wescottdesign.com- Hide quoted text -

I'd use a silicone adhesive(or screws). Wood moves, copper doesn't, a
rigid bond is going to shear. Copper isn't going to stay shiny unless
you coat it with lacquer or wax.

Stan

Richard[_9_] December 7th 12 08:48 PM

wrote:

On 12/6/2012 9:00 PM, wrote:
[...]

Which is why I keep recommending any of the many flavors of Goop.
Good strong flexible bond, cheap, easy cleanup.

For a job like this, Plumbers Goop - very low viscosity will make
for a smooth thin film.

Excellent bond.

[email protected] December 8th 12 02:43 AM

CA accelerator discoloration

On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 14:48:26 -0600, Richard
wrote:

[...]

Which is why I keep recommending any of the many flavors of Goop.
Good strong flexible bond, cheap, easy cleanup.

For a job like this, Plumbers Goop - very low viscosity will make
for a smooth thin film.

Excellent bond.

It would have been my first choice but not feasible in this
application. The same reason why accelerator was desirable.

I changed the way I apply the accelerator and I no longer see the
discoloration and get a secure bond quickly. Problem solved.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC