Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More fun

I went out to the main shop today, to discover that several beams had
cracked. The roof leak, and desroyed most of the parts & shelving. My
parts room is a disaster. The door delaminated and the window fell out.
How can so much damage happen in a couple months? I'm tempted to sell
the few tools that survived and hire a bulldozer to remove the whole
damned mess.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-25, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I went out to the main shop today, to discover that several beams had
cracked. The roof leak, and desroyed most of the parts & shelving. My
parts room is a disaster. The door delaminated and the window fell out.
How can so much damage happen in a couple months? I'm tempted to sell
the few tools that survived and hire a bulldozer to remove the whole
damned mess.

So, what happened is that you did not know that it was leaking?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-25, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I went out to the main shop today, to discover that several beams had
cracked. The roof leak, and desroyed most of the parts & shelving. My
parts room is a disaster. The door delaminated and the window fell out.
How can so much damage happen in a couple months? I'm tempted to sell
the few tools that survived and hire a bulldozer to remove the whole
damned mess.

So, what happened is that you did not know that it was leaking?

It was dry during a heavy rain a few months ago. The building has a
#$%^&* Pittsburgh flat steel roof that can spring a leak in a
heartbeat. The structure is 48 years old, and I was trying to get a new
roof before this happened. Only one roofing company responded with a
price of over $10,000, and that didn't include cleanup when they were
finished. It's a 1200 Sq. ft building with nine foot ceilings. I guess
that if I do keep it, I'll have to start at the worst end and work from
there. Of course, the worst end has all the electrical equipment.

It would probably be cheaper to get 4, 40' freight containers set
there, if I could get the permits. I may not even be able to get a
permit to repair the building. That makes two of the four shop
buildings unusable now.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That sounds expensive. I'm sad to hear.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

I went out to the main shop today, to discover that several beams had
cracked. The roof leak, and desroyed most of the parts & shelving. My
parts room is a disaster. The door delaminated and the window fell out.
How can so much damage happen in a couple months? I'm tempted to sell
the few tools that survived and hire a bulldozer to remove the whole
damned mess.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

That sounds expensive. I'm sad to hear.

It will probably cost a couple years income to repair the building,
if I can get some volunteer labor to help me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-25, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I went out to the main shop today, to discover that several beams had
cracked. The roof leak, and desroyed most of the parts & shelving. My
parts room is a disaster. The door delaminated and the window fell out.
How can so much damage happen in a couple months? I'm tempted to sell
the few tools that survived and hire a bulldozer to remove the whole
damned mess.

Ouch!

Best of luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

That sounds expensive. I'm sad to hear.

It will probably cost a couple years income to repair the building,
if I can get some volunteer labor to help me.

Insurance ?

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I went out to the main shop today, to discover that several beams had
cracked. The roof leak, and desroyed most of the parts & shelving. My
parts room is a disaster. The door delaminated and the window fell out.
How can so much damage happen in a couple months? I'm tempted to sell
the few tools that survived and hire a bulldozer to remove the whole
damned mess.

This is where you had the fire, or am I confusing this with
another disaster? Sounds pretty awful!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-25, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I went out to the main shop today, to discover that several beams had
cracked. The roof leak, and desroyed most of the parts & shelving. My
parts room is a disaster. The door delaminated and the window fell out.
How can so much damage happen in a couple months? I'm tempted to sell
the few tools that survived and hire a bulldozer to remove the whole
damned mess.

Ouch!

Best of luck,

Thank you. Now my insurance company wants to drop me because my
house is 48 years old, yet they still insure beach front homes that they
paid to replace after the last round of hurricanes.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

That sounds expensive. I'm sad to hear.

It will probably cost a couple years income to repair the building,
if I can get some volunteer labor to help me.

Insurance ?

Doesn't cover the failed roof, since it isn't part of the house.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I went out to the main shop today, to discover that several beams had
cracked. The roof leak, and desroyed most of the parts & shelving. My
parts room is a disaster. The door delaminated and the window fell out.
How can so much damage happen in a couple months? I'm tempted to sell
the few tools that survived and hire a bulldozer to remove the whole
damned mess.

This is where you had the fire, or am I confusing this with
another disaster? Sounds pretty awful!

Don Nichols had the fire.

I unloaded the truck, so I can start shoveling the ruined manuals
into it to take to the landfill.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 22:39:57 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

That sounds expensive. I'm sad to hear.

It will probably cost a couple years income to repair the building,
if I can get some volunteer labor to help me.

Hire a lad who will trade shop space or machining for labor. He can
help you fix yours first, then he can fix the other in trade for rent.
Win/Win if you have the liability insurance to cover it.

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 19:50:38 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

I went out to the main shop today, to discover that several beams had
cracked. The roof leak, and desroyed most of the parts & shelving. My
parts room is a disaster. The door delaminated and the window fell out.
How can so much damage happen in a couple months? I'm tempted to sell
the few tools that survived and hire a bulldozer to remove the whole
damned mess.

What the **** happened?

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

For me, one rough part about a moment like this,
is wondering if I could have done some thing
to prevent it. But, by now, there's no choice but
to start shovelling. I share your sadness.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

I unloaded the truck, so I can start
shoveling the ruined manuals
into it to take to the landfill.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I went out to the main shop today, to discover that several beams had
cracked. The roof leak, and desroyed most of the parts & shelving. My
parts room is a disaster. The door delaminated and the window fell out.
How can so much damage happen in a couple months? I'm tempted to sell
the few tools that survived and hire a bulldozer to remove the whole
damned mess.

What the **** happened?

The old metal roof failed. All of a sudden there are holes I can put
a fist through. I was up there a few years ago and fixed some minor
leaks caused by the way it was installed and it didn't look too bad.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

That sounds expensive. I'm sad to hear.

It will probably cost a couple years income to repair the building,
if I can get some volunteer labor to help me.

Hire a lad who will trade shop space or machining for labor. He can
help you fix yours first, then he can fix the other in trade for rent.
Win/Win if you have the liability insurance to cover it.

It was only insured for $3000, the most could get for a detached
residential garage. in this area. I never let anyone in there, because
I couldn't afford liability insurance. The area with the worst damage
was the electronics section.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

That sounds expensive. I'm sad to hear.

It will probably cost a couple years income to repair the building,
if I can get some volunteer labor to help me.

Hire a lad who will trade shop space or machining for labor. He can
help you fix yours first, then he can fix the other in trade for rent.
Win/Win if you have the liability insurance to cover it.

It was only insured for $3000, the most could get for a detached
residential garage. in this area. I never let anyone in there, because
I couldn't afford liability insurance. The area with the worst damage
was the electronics section.

Suckage. Condolences on your soggy sillyscope.

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a
heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people
can handle it.
-- Hugh Macleod
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I went out to the main shop today, to discover that several beams had
cracked. The roof leak, and desroyed most of the parts & shelving. My
parts room is a disaster. The door delaminated and the window fell out.
How can so much damage happen in a couple months? I'm tempted to sell
the few tools that survived and hire a bulldozer to remove the whole
damned mess.

What the **** happened?

The old metal roof failed. All of a sudden there are holes I can put
a fist through. I was up there a few years ago and fixed some minor
leaks caused by the way it was installed and it didn't look too bad.

No, a new leak didn't cause beams to crack. Time to tarp over it and
get some interim supports. I used a standard old car bumper jack to
raise the roof on a porch I replaced. The steel yard had a couple
sticks of 1.5" square tubing which became my lift beams when lowered
over the jack column. I've used that technique to lift porches off
posts to replace rotted lumber, too. Works a treat.

Alternatively, you can get scaffold jacks on eBay for $25 apiece,
delivered. Just don't tell OSHA you're using them. They're safer but
they're illegal. Go figure.

Jack 'em up, sister in some steel, and Bob's yer uncle.

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a
heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people
can handle it.
-- Hugh Macleod
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sat, 24 Nov 2012
21:17:09 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

On 2012-11-25, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

What's the possibility of moving a shipping container or two into
the building?
Okay, what is the Realistic Possibility of doing that?

pyotr

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

... The structure is 48 years old, and I was trying to get a new
roof before this happened. Only one roofing company responded with a
price of over $10,000, and that didn't include cleanup when they were
finished. It's a 1200 Sq. ft building with nine foot ceilings. I guess
that if I do keep it, I'll have to start at the worst end and work from
there. Of course, the worst end has all the electrical equipment.

30x40 or vice versa or...??? What's clear span iow? I'd think of
putting false roof over it w/ enough slope to lay conventional roofing
or tin...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:

... The structure is 48 years old, and I was trying to get a new
roof before this happened. Only one roofing company responded with a
price of over $10,000, and that didn't include cleanup when they were
finished. It's a 1200 Sq. ft building with nine foot ceilings. I guess
that if I do keep it, I'll have to start at the worst end and work from
there. Of course, the worst end has all the electrical equipment.

30x40 or vice versa or...??? What's clear span iow? I'd think of
putting false roof over it w/ enough slope to lay conventional roofing
or tin...

40 foot wide, 30 deep. The beams are run across the 40' at 10'
intervals with 12' 2"*10" running front to back on 2' centers. There is
a very slight pitch to the roof line. Not steep enough for shingles,
and would need a lot of changes to support even low trusses. I looked
into that when I first bought the place. A new metal roof is the only
half way reasonable way to do it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-25, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

They wouldn't fit through the doors, or between the support posts,
and there is a dividing wall 19.5 feet from the front. The only way I
could use them would be to tear down the garage, set four of them and
cover the outside with the old aluminum skin to hide that they are
containers. That leaves another problem. The power to two other
buildings run from that building in conduit run along the ceiling and
down both far walls.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

A 2" * 6" with a notch to go around the rafter, and a car jack will
lift it. then set another one to hold it and go to the next. I did
that about 25 years ago to level the floor in a 100+ year old house in
SW Ohio. Several 'Con-tractors' told the owner it couldn't be done. It
took me about three hours and a bunch of hardwood shims.

The problem is that tarps don't last long around here, and a medium
grade 1200 Sq. ft tarp costs several hundred dollars.

BTW, 'Bob' was one of my uncles. Lots of uncles, just no 'Uncle
Sam'. ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

The problem is that tarps don't last long around here, and a medium
grade 1200 Sq. ft tarp costs several hundred dollars.

OTOH, what's 1200 sq-ft of space constructed cost....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:

The problem is that tarps don't last long around here, and a medium
grade 1200 Sq. ft tarp costs several hundred dollars.

OTOH, what's 1200 sq-ft of space constructed cost....

I have no idea these days, but they probably spent less to build that
building than a 40' * 50' tarp costs now. A 'finished' tarp is a
couple feet smaller than the advertised size so a 30' * 40' would leave
a gap all the way around.

I haven't done any big projects in 25 years. Just repairs & remodels
for myself, at two different locations.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jon Elson wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I went out to the main shop today, to discover that several beams had
cracked. The roof leak, and desroyed most of the parts & shelving. My
parts room is a disaster. The door delaminated and the window fell out.
How can so much damage happen in a couple months? I'm tempted to sell
the few tools that survived and hire a bulldozer to remove the whole
damned mess.

This is where you had the fire, or am I confusing this with
another disaster? Sounds pretty awful!

Don Nichols had the fire.

Right! So, that means there have been TWO catastrophes! Terrible!
Well, you need to keep an eye on buildings, and can't really leave them
for MONTHS without checking for anything going wrong.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Goodonya, mate.

The problem is that tarps don't last long around here, and a medium
grade 1200 Sq. ft tarp costs several hundred dollars.

That's a bit cheaper than a new roof. If you could simply overlay the
new metal, that would cost $1,200 at minimum (local price is a buck a
foot for the 3' wide), plus underlayment, labor, hardware, and
finishing touches. Got equity to borrow against? Times are great for
those loans, with extremely low interest.

BTW, 'Bob' was one of my uncles. Lots of uncles, just no 'Uncle
Sam'. ;-)

Oh yes you do. Sam's your uncle by incestual rape, as he is for all of
us. sigh

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a
heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people
can handle it.
-- Hugh Macleod
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jon Elson wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I went out to the main shop today, to discover that several beams had
cracked. The roof leak, and desroyed most of the parts & shelving. My
parts room is a disaster. The door delaminated and the window fell out.
How can so much damage happen in a couple months? I'm tempted to sell
the few tools that survived and hire a bulldozer to remove the whole
damned mess.

This is where you had the fire, or am I confusing this with
another disaster? Sounds pretty awful!

Don Nichols had the fire.

Right! So, that means there have been TWO catastrophes! Terrible!
Well, you need to keep an eye on buildings, and can't really leave them
for MONTHS without checking for anything going wrong.

I was busy repairing other problems That makes two bad roofs out of
six. I went out to wash some clothes two months ago and had part of the
ceiling of the laundry building fall. Apparently, when it was reroofed,
they shingled over holes in the old, used plywood. I didn't know it
when I bought the place, but it was owned by a Mr. Fixit who couldn't do
anything right, except hide his crap workmanship. At my age and with
my health problems I can only work a few hours a day, most days. Some
days I can't do anything.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Zero credit history I haven't use credit in over 25 years.

BTW, 'Bob' was one of my uncles. Lots of uncles, just no 'Uncle
Sam'. ;-)

Oh yes you do. Sam's your uncle by incestual rape, as he is for all of
us. sigh

I disowned that SOB, after some nin-com-puke E-8 threatened to court
martial me for lack of respect to 'Uncle Sam. He gave me an impossible
order, then threw a bitch fit when I pointed out his mistakes that we
didn't have the equipment to do what he wanted. the joke was on him.
He was told he had 15 minutes to submit the paperwork for my promotion,
or he would be an E-1 by the end of the day.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

That sounds expensive. I'm sad to hear.

It will probably cost a couple years income to repair the building,
if I can get some volunteer labor to help me.

Insurance ?

Doesn't cover the failed roof, since it isn't part of the house.

No outbuilding insurance????

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 17:04:02 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jon Elson wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jon Elson wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

Too bad I'm not closer, I don't accomplish a whole lot some days
either, but I'd be game to help.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 17:12:28 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

That's a bit cheaper than a new roof. If you could simply overlay the
new metal, that would cost $1,200 at minimum (local price is a buck a
foot for the 3' wide), plus underlayment, labor, hardware, and
finishing touches. Got equity to borrow against? Times are great for
those loans, with extremely low interest.

Zero credit history I haven't use credit in over 25 years.

That's the same problem I faced when I moved to Oreguns. Now I have a
handful of zero-balance credit cards and an excellent rating.

BTW, 'Bob' was one of my uncles. Lots of uncles, just no 'Uncle
Sam'. ;-)

Oh yes you do. Sam's your uncle by incestual rape, as he is for all of
us. sigh

I disowned that SOB, after some nin-com-puke E-8 threatened to court
martial me for lack of respect to 'Uncle Sam. He gave me an impossible
order, then threw a bitch fit when I pointed out his mistakes that we
didn't have the equipment to do what he wanted. the joke was on him.
He was told he had 15 minutes to submit the paperwork for my promotion,
or he would be an E-1 by the end of the day.

Most Excellent, duuuuuude. g Did that promote you out from under
him, I hope?

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a
heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people
can handle it.
-- Hugh Macleod
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

No, but he was terrified of the two star general who spent over half
a day to personally put my E4 pins on my uniform, and have lots of
photos taken as he gave me a letter of commendation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I went out to the main shop today, to discover that several beams had
cracked. The roof leak, and desroyed most of the parts & shelving. My
parts room is a disaster. The door delaminated and the window fell out.
How can so much damage happen in a couple months? I'm tempted to sell
the few tools that survived and hire a bulldozer to remove the whole
damned mess.

What the **** happened?

The old metal roof failed. All of a sudden there are holes I can put
a fist through. I was up there a few years ago and fixed some minor
leaks caused by the way it was installed and it didn't look too bad.

Sounds like its time for some decent plastic tarps from Harbor
Freight..maybe 3 deep, and saving for a new roof. Doesnt need to be
steel, it could be plywood with cheap rolled roofing laid down on it.

The current steel roof will hold it up ok, once you replace the bad
beams.

Hell..the rolled roofing would probably be ok over the steel roof for
a few years..probably up to 8 or so.

By that time..you will have enough money to do it right, have moved or
found a rich chick to bundle with.

Guner

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Jon Elson wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jon Elson wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

Same here.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

You just gotta stop smoking that stuff. It leads to delusions of
grandeur.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Cites to it not being true?

Or is this simply more spew from a mental case?

Gunner

1. Lie