Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More fun

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:35:07 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Too bad I'm not closer, I don't accomplish a whole lot some days
either, but I'd be game to help.

I apprecieate the, but I'm about 1.7 hours north Orlando. If I
didn't think so little of lotteries, I could go buy that winning
powerball ticket, I guess. Of course I'd have more money than I knew
what to do with. ;-)

Just keep on the way you are and you'll have more money than if you
buy the tickets.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"F.K." wrote:

You just gotta stop smoking that stuff. It leads to delusions of
grandeur.

It was grand. A fat assed lifer was seven seconds form being out of
the Army. We know what you smoke but here is a link to, and a copy of
that seven year old message in case you're ever lucid enough to read it.

http://afrts.dodmedia.osd.mil/herita...archive_email1 has a
message of mine posted on a US govenment web page. It is the forth
message on that page:

* * * * * Q U O T E * * * * *

First Permanent AFRS Station
Sunday, May 22, 2005

Ft Greely, Alaska

I worked at the radio and TV station at Ft Greely Alaska in 1973 &
1974. I maintained the equipment for both stations, as well as pulling
half the shifts to run the TV station. The operator was on duty from
sign on to sign off. The operator loaded and ran the 16 mm films on a
low power B&W transmitter on Ch 8. We had two transmitters, a 90 Watt,
and a 500 Watt. Both were built by Gates. The also produced and directed
the live newscast while running both audio and video boards and keeping
an eye on all the other equipment.

I received a letter of commendation from the commanding general for
the improvements I made in the station, and the reduced downtime. I was
awarded 26T20 as a civilian acquired skill while I was in basic training
at Ft Knox, and was sent to permanent duty without any additional
training. There was a plan in the works to upgrade the station to color.
The base information officer was running around telling everyone that
"It is impossible to use any of our equipment to transmit anything in
color!" so I borrowed a color bar generator and made a custom 35 mm
slide so that each letter would be a different color. I transmitted our
ID (AFRTS Ch 8) in color at the start of our live evening news to make
sure everyone saw it.

The radio station was mostly tube equipment and on 24/7. The
transmitter was a Gates BC 250 on 980 KHz which fed a center tapped
dipole antenna. I was told it was one of the first permanent AFRS
stations, but never could track down any information to verify it. We
got our network audio feed over the old "White Alice" microwave
telephone network, which was the oldest system in use in the world.

I am disabled now, but my last job was building telemetry equipment,
including a system aboard the ISS, and a new earth station for NOAA. It
was fun working on the equipment in Alaska. Zero allowed downtime, few
parts and everything was depot level maintenance. I was only in for two
years and was an E-4 when I left the US Army for home.

The other engineers were Neeley Hoopianaia, and Victor McBride. A
couple of the broadcasters were Bill Billingsly and Dale Leslie.

--

Take care, and God bless!
Michael A. Terrell
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sun, 25 Nov 2012
13:14:47 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sat, 24 Nov 2012
21:17:09 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

On 2012-11-25, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I went out to the main shop today, to discover that several beams had
cracked. The roof leak, and desroyed most of the parts & shelving. My
parts room is a disaster. The door delaminated and the window fell out.
How can so much damage happen in a couple months? I'm tempted to sell
the few tools that survived and hire a bulldozer to remove the whole
damned mess.

So, what happened is that you did not know that it was leaking?

It was dry during a heavy rain a few months ago. The building has a
#$%^&* Pittsburgh flat steel roof that can spring a leak in a
heartbeat. The structure is 48 years old, and I was trying to get a new
roof before this happened. Only one roofing company responded with a
price of over $10,000, and that didn't include cleanup when they were
finished. It's a 1200 Sq. ft building with nine foot ceilings. I guess
that if I do keep it, I'll have to start at the worst end and work from
there. Of course, the worst end has all the electrical equipment.

It would probably be cheaper to get 4, 40' freight containers set
there, if I could get the permits. I may not even be able to get a
permit to repair the building. That makes two of the four shop
buildings unusable now.

What's the possibility of moving a shipping container or two into
the building?
Okay, what is the Realistic Possibility of doing that?

They wouldn't fit through the doors, or between the support posts,
and there is a dividing wall 19.5 feet from the front. The only way I
could use them would be to tear down the garage, set four of them and
cover the outside with the old aluminum skin to hide that they are
containers. That leaves another problem. The power to two other
buildings run from that building in conduit run along the ceiling and
down both far walls.

Okay, that's "simple". All you have to do is "just" jack up the
roof, slide the shipping containers in, and set the roof back down.
Tada - all done!
(I'd love to help but I have to take the cat to dance classes.)
B-)

tschus
pyotr

"Youse the Force, Luke!"
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sun, 25 Nov 2012
21:30:47 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 17:12:28 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
That's a bit cheaper than a new roof. If you could simply overlay the
new metal, that would cost $1,200 at minimum (local price is a buck a
foot for the 3' wide), plus underlayment, labor, hardware, and
finishing touches. Got equity to borrow against? Times are great for
those loans, with extremely low interest.

Zero credit history I haven't use credit in over 25 years.

That's the same problem I faced when I moved to Oreguns. Now I have a
handful of zero-balance credit cards and an excellent rating.

BTW, 'Bob' was one of my uncles. Lots of uncles, just no 'Uncle
Sam'. ;-)

Oh yes you do. Sam's your uncle by incestual rape, as he is for all of
us. sigh

I disowned that SOB, after some nin-com-puke E-8 threatened to court
martial me for lack of respect to 'Uncle Sam. He gave me an impossible
order, then threw a bitch fit when I pointed out his mistakes that we
didn't have the equipment to do what he wanted. the joke was on him.
He was told he had 15 minutes to submit the paperwork for my promotion,
or he would be an E-1 by the end of the day.

Most Excellent, duuuuuude. g Did that promote you out from under
him, I hope?

No, but he was terrified of the two star general who spent over half
a day to personally put my E4 pins on my uniform, and have lots of
photos taken as he gave me a letter of commendation.

Two star Generals have that ability.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

They wouldn't fit through the doors, or between the support posts,
and there is a dividing wall 19.5 feet from the front. The only way I
could use them would be to tear down the garage, set four of them and
cover the outside with the old aluminum skin to hide that they are
containers. That leaves another problem. The power to two other
buildings run from that building in conduit run along the ceiling and
down both far walls.

Okay, that's "simple". All you have to do is "just" jack up the
roof, slide the shipping containers in, and set the roof back down.
Tada - all done!

Then have the old road repaved after all that weight is dragged in?

(I'd love to help but I have to take the cat to dance classes.)

Don't blame me that you bought a defective cat.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

No, but he was terrified of the two star general who spent over half
a day to personally put my E4 pins on my uniform, and have lots of
photos taken as he gave me a letter of commendation.

Two star Generals have that ability.

A lot of old E-8s tend to leak, just from knowing one is in the
building. ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:35:07 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Too bad I'm not closer, I don't accomplish a whole lot some days
either, but I'd be game to help.
I apprecieate the, but I'm about 1.7 hours north Orlando. If I
didn't think so little of lotteries, I could go buy that winning
powerball ticket, I guess. Of course I'd have more money than I knew
what to do with. ;-)
Just keep on the way you are and you'll have more money than if you
buy the tickets.

Tickets? I haven't bought one in 20 years

One of the local scrap yards has 3 buildings made from shipping containers.
They poured a large pad. Set one container on each side, put regular
roof trusses up (steel in one wood in the other two).
Sheathed them in ply and installed metal roofing and siding. Two are
enclosed with garage doors on the end the steel one is open on both ends.

I was tossing around the idea of three 40 footers U shaped on a 6" slab
with steel trusses. Figured if you put anchors in the ground, welded the
containers to those, then welded the trusses in place it would take some
serious wind to move it.

The problem is zoning. The county has a lot of restrictions on what
can be built & used. I would also have to dig up and move a lot of
underground wiring, as well. I wanted to just add a 40' next to the
garage, and found that the drain field was in the way. No building can
be closer to the road than the house under current regulations, and I
have a 12' x 12' laundry building that was the original pump house. Any
major damage, and I won't be allowed to replace it. Four other
buildings are too close to the property lines now, but not when they
were built. I'd like to replace all the beams & put up new metal, then
have it foamed with that UV resistant coating but can't afford it on my
pension. I'll have to see if I can path the holes with scrap steel and
splice the damaged beams for now. Gunner suggested roll roofing but it
isn't legal, because it can't meet hurricane requirements. If the edge
comes up, the entire roof can peel off. Oh well, it looks like I have a
use for _all_ of those heavy old PC cases that I had saved for sheet
steel. The old maxi towers are almost three feet tall.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 26 Nov 2012
13:35:55 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
pyotr filipivich wrote:
They wouldn't fit through the doors, or between the support posts,
and there is a dividing wall 19.5 feet from the front. The only way I
could use them would be to tear down the garage, set four of them and
cover the outside with the old aluminum skin to hide that they are
containers. That leaves another problem. The power to two other
buildings run from that building in conduit run along the ceiling and
down both far walls.

Okay, that's "simple". All you have to do is "just" jack up the
roof, slide the shipping containers in, and set the roof back down.
Tada - all done!

Then have the old road repaved after all that weight is dragged in?

Dragging them is definitively going to cause problems, yes. I
think you'll find the roads last longer (and the containers will be in
better shape) if you put them on wheeled trailers and roll them in.
B-)

OTOH, with enough trash bags and hydrogen, you could air lift hem
in. Yeah, that's the ticket. B-) Hey, you are in Florida, maybe
you can borrow the Mickey Mouse balloons?

Maybe someone has war surplus Hind you can use ...

(I'd love to help but I have to take the cat to dance classes.)

Don't blame me that you bought a defective cat.

Oh the lack of tail doesn't make him defective, and besides he was
a gift.

And he's the one teaching the class.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 26 Nov 2012
13:37:16 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

No, but he was terrified of the two star general who spent over half
a day to personally put my E4 pins on my uniform, and have lots of
photos taken as he gave me a letter of commendation.

Two star Generals have that ability.

A lot of old E-8s tend to leak, just from knowing one is in the
building. ;-)

"and I say to this one go, and he goes, and to the other come and
he comes. Just say the word and it will be done."

tschus
pyotr

My Dad was on a first name basis with the Generals. They called him
"Phil" and he called them "General".
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

No, but he was terrified of the two star general who spent over half
a day to personally put my E4 pins on my uniform, and have lots of
photos taken as he gave me a letter of commendation.

Two star Generals have that ability.

A lot of old E-8s tend to leak, just from knowing one is in the
building. ;-)

"and I say to this one go, and he goes, and to the other come and
he comes. Just say the word and it will be done."

tschus
pyotr

My Dad was on a first name basis with the Generals. They called him
"Phil" and he called them "General".

They called me and complained. For all the good it did them! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Then have the old road repaved after all that weight is dragged in?

Dragging them is definitively going to cause problems, yes. I
think you'll find the roads last longer (and the containers will be in
better shape) if you put them on wheeled trailers and roll them in.
B-)

You should see the damage that did when they brought in a doublewide
modular a few years ago. The wheels didn't really help, since the
county doesn't maintain the road. My dad & I used to take care of it,
but when everyone claimed they couldn't even kick in $20 each, we quit.
he sold his place next door and left. Now I hear complaints that
someone should fix the roads.

OTOH, with enough trash bags and hydrogen, you could air lift hem
in. Yeah, that's the ticket. B-) Hey, you are in Florida, maybe
you can borrow the Mickey Mouse balloons?

Maybe someone has war surplus Hind you can use ...

(I'd love to help but I have to take the cat to dance classes.)

Don't blame me that you bought a defective cat.

Oh the lack of tail doesn't make him defective, and besides he was
a gift.

Beware of gift cats, with missing parts!!!

And he's the one teaching the class.

He's lying. He's just looking for a gullible girl cat and is too
lazy to roam the neighborhood. ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 26 Nov 2012
14:54:16 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

OTOH, with enough trash bags and hydrogen, you could air lift hem
in. Yeah, that's the ticket. B-) Hey, you are in Florida, maybe
you can borrow the Mickey Mouse balloons?

Maybe someone has war surplus Hind you can use ...

(I'd love to help but I have to take the cat to dance classes.)

Don't blame me that you bought a defective cat.

Oh the lack of tail doesn't make him defective, and besides he was
a gift.

Beware of gift cats, with missing parts!!!

And he's the one teaching the class.

He's lying. He's just looking for a gullible girl cat and is too
lazy to roam the neighborhood. ;-)

We're both looking for gullible girls. Unfortunately, he attracts
the human sort, and I get the feline sort. Something is not right wit
hg our techniques. Or mine...
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"Steve W." wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Where is the dividing line between repair/replace?

In my area you can get a permit to do "renovations" which allows you to
tear down everything BUT one corner post and minimum of 10 square feet
of wall.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

We're both looking for gullible girls. Unfortunately, he attracts
the human sort, and I get the feline sort. Something is not right wit
hg our techniques. Or mine...

Learn to double date. ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

Around here? It depends on who throws the darts at their 'Rules &
regulations chart' and how soon their next party.

Ohio had a Repair/remodel rules. One corner and part of one wall was
a repair. Anything more was a remodel.

I am going to try to find some 16' 'Five Vee' panels, and enough 2" *
10" * 12' pressure treated boards enough to do a little over one bay
this winter. I also want to use some 1" foam insulation under the roof
as it's replaced to stop the condensation problems. That will go over
the main work bench, breaker box & parts room. Then I may be able to
cover the rest with a tarp. The problem is that the county compares
updated sat maps and aerial surveys with current files to look for every
thing you do.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 26 Nov 2012
16:41:08 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

We're both looking for gullible girls. Unfortunately, he attracts
the human sort, and I get the feline sort. Something is not right with
our techniques. Or mine...

Learn to double date. ;-)

I'll ask him about that.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers
does it take to change a lightbulb.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had a friend in California that had a 40x40 metal shop and had two
containers attached to the side.

They measured the containers themselves - determined the heavy piers
and flew them between four piers. They use two wheelers and shop carts
in and out of them. One is raw stock and the other is finished.
He was in business and shipped both special metal out and machines out.
(a crane came and met the transport truck to drop the containers in
place. ) As I recall, another was in the parking lot intended to be
added some day but was used where it was to store stuff.

The store house one kept the doors on the inside of the shop - so it
could be locked up so no one would pilfer it if not with trusted
workers. The other had heavy racks built into the walls and upon the
floor. Both were insulated all around and sheeted as well with ply.
(He would go off and train people using his machines spending weeks from
home)

In the shop were massive lathes - a barrel (cannon) lathe and mill pair
that was capable to work on cannon mounts. It was once a specialized
set of hardware - business long gone from World War II work. He turned
the shop around and made other items completely.

Martin

On 11/26/2012 1:17 PM, Steve W. wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

We're both looking for gullible girls. Unfortunately, he attracts
the human sort, and I get the feline sort. Something is not right with
our techniques. Or mine...

Learn to double date. ;-)

I'll ask him about that.

Don't be catty, make him share the girls with you!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin Eastburn wrote:

[...]

Sounds like he made good use of them.

Those rental warehouses are popular around here. I think shipping
containers would be perfect for one, but of course they don't satisfy
the idiots in charge. Pour three concrete strips so they can be set
back to back, with a narrow work are to run wiring. Replace the swing
out doors with roll ups as needed. You could offer storage for half
what anyone else charges and still make the same money.