Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More fun

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sun, 25 Nov 2012
13:14:47 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sat, 24 Nov 2012
21:17:09 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

On 2012-11-25, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I went out to the main shop today, to discover that several beams had
cracked. The roof leak, and desroyed most of the parts & shelving. My
parts room is a disaster. The door delaminated and the window fell out.
How can so much damage happen in a couple months? I'm tempted to sell
the few tools that survived and hire a bulldozer to remove the whole
damned mess.

So, what happened is that you did not know that it was leaking?

It was dry during a heavy rain a few months ago. The building has a
#$%^&* Pittsburgh flat steel roof that can spring a leak in a
heartbeat. The structure is 48 years old, and I was trying to get a new
roof before this happened. Only one roofing company responded with a
price of over $10,000, and that didn't include cleanup when they were
finished. It's a 1200 Sq. ft building with nine foot ceilings. I guess
that if I do keep it, I'll have to start at the worst end and work from
there. Of course, the worst end has all the electrical equipment.

It would probably be cheaper to get 4, 40' freight containers set
there, if I could get the permits. I may not even be able to get a
permit to repair the building. That makes two of the four shop
buildings unusable now.

What's the possibility of moving a shipping container or two into
the building?
Okay, what is the Realistic Possibility of doing that?

They wouldn't fit through the doors, or between the support posts,
and there is a dividing wall 19.5 feet from the front. The only way I
could use them would be to tear down the garage, set four of them and
cover the outside with the old aluminum skin to hide that they are
containers. That leaves another problem. The power to two other
buildings run from that building in conduit run along the ceiling and
down both far walls.

Okay, that's "simple". All you have to do is "just" jack up the
roof, slide the shipping containers in, and set the roof back down.
Tada - all done!
(I'd love to help but I have to take the cat to dance classes.)
B-)

tschus
pyotr

"Youse the Force, Luke!"
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the