Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Harbor Freight

I needed two hoists like the ones you use to hang up and gut a deer. I saw
them on Harbor Freight's sight, but was going to Vegas. So, I went to their
store there. They were totally lost, and were hell bent on selling me a $99
electric hoist.

I want these to hang up vertical 9.5' sheets with some degree of control to
get them on straight. So, I came home, and ordered them online.

I'm not a big fan of HF stuff, but for some of the cheaper tools, and stuff
that you use once in a while, they are good. I needed a 200' tape to do
some property measurements. Hoo, boy, are they expensive. Then, I was at
HF, and they had a fiberglass tape on sale for $10. Needless to say, I got
it. It is about six years old now, and as long as it's kept inside, should
last a long time. Others were upwards to $100.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 2, 1:40*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

Years ago Sears used to have three grades of tools. If you were going
to use a tool a lot, then you looked at Sears Best. But if you only
expected to use the tool once or maybe twice in 20 years then you
looked at Sears worst.

Harbor Freight is kind of like that. They do have a few things that
are of good quality, but a lot is good value for the money. Not a lot
of money, but also not a tool that you will pass on to your
grandchildren.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote

Since I tend to be rough on my tools..and I had ALL of the tools stolen
out of my service truck some years ago..Ive been using HF end and
combination wrenches for the past 10 yrs. Their better ones. Pittsburg
Made in India ones. Work well enough to not have to replace them, still
havent busted one yet...though I am careful about cheaters..shrug

Tools at home...Proto, SK, Snapon.

And they dont get used nearly as much

Gunner

I get a lot of good tools at yard sales. You have to look through a lot of
crap to find the one or two good ones, tho.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 3, 2:24*am, Gunner Asch wrote:

Since I tend to be rough on my tools..and I had ALL of the tools stolen
out of my service truck some years ago..Ive been using HF end and
combination wrenches for the past 10 yrs. Their better ones. *Pittsburg
Made in India ones. *Work well enough to not have to replace them, still
havent busted one yet...though I am careful about cheaters..shrug

Gunner

I have two sets of those wrenches. One set is in the garage and the
other in the basement. It saves a lot of time running back and forth.

Today I took the blades off the mower deck for the first time. My
air impact wrench is not a heavy duty one and it did not budge the
bolts. So had to go to a breaker bar with a four foot cheater. Could
have used a slightly shorter cheater, but a four foot piece of pipe
was handy.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-03, Steve B wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote

Since I tend to be rough on my tools..and I had ALL of the tools stolen
out of my service truck some years ago..Ive been using HF end and
combination wrenches for the past 10 yrs. Their better ones. Pittsburg
Made in India ones. Work well enough to not have to replace them, still
havent busted one yet...though I am careful about cheaters..shrug

Tools at home...Proto, SK, Snapon.

And they dont get used nearly as much

Gunner

I get a lot of good tools at yard sales. You have to look through a lot of
crap to find the one or two good ones, tho.

So do I, it works great. That said, I have no complaints about HF
sockets and wrenches, and I used them for years. Their electrical
tools, though, were mostly bad for me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-03, Steve B wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote

Since I tend to be rough on my tools..and I had ALL of the tools stolen
out of my service truck some years ago..Ive been using HF end and
combination wrenches for the past 10 yrs. Their better ones. Pittsburg
Made in India ones. Work well enough to not have to replace them, still
havent busted one yet...though I am careful about cheaters..shrug

Tools at home...Proto, SK, Snapon.

And they dont get used nearly as much

Gunner

I get a lot of good tools at yard sales. You have to look through a lot of
crap to find the one or two good ones, tho.

So do I, it works great. That said, I have no complaints about HF
sockets and wrenches, and I used them for years. Their electrical
tools, though, were mostly bad for me.

The hydraulic crimpers and hydraulic KO punch set they have are
exceptions to the "bad" thing, they are very good values especially on
sale and with the 20% coupon. Their $3 DMMs inhabit every one of my
dozen or so toolboxes and have never let me down for quick measurements
and saving chasing after my good Fluke 87. Their mini clamp on DMM/amp
probe also works quite well when I don't need to get out my Hall effect
AC/DC clamp for the Fluke.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Steve B" wrote in message
I needed two hoists like the ones you use to hang up and gut a deer. I saw
them on Harbor Freight's sight, but was going to Vegas. So, I went to
their store there. They were totally lost, and were hell bent on selling
me a $99 electric hoist.

I want these to hang up vertical 9.5' sheets with some degree of control
to get them on straight. So, I came home, and ordered them online.

I'm not a big fan of HF stuff, but for some of the cheaper tools, and
stuff that you use once in a while, they are good. I needed a 200' tape
to do some property measurements. Hoo, boy, are they expensive. Then, I
was at HF, and they had a fiberglass tape on sale for $10. Needless to
say, I got it. It is about six years old now, and as long as it's kept
inside, should last a long time. Others were upwards to $100.

Steve

I don't mind paying for decent tools, for example, Klein electrical tools
are worth it when you're working in the trade. Unfortunately many of the
tools available off the shelf locally are made in China and no better than
HF at twice the price.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
YES!! That little $3 DMM ...is simply marvelous!! Ive bought at
least
20 of them over the years, give them out to people who want to
borrow
one of my decent Flukes or others, keep one in every vehicle etc
etc.

Those $3 meters have a gain adjustment pot inside. If you have a more
accurate meter and a stable low-noise voltage source (a battery) you
can set then to within one digit. Before adjusting them mine were off
as much as 50mV at 12.8V.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I also really like the cheapie multi meters. They
seem to be fairly accurate, but who can tell?
And, if I fry one, who cares. Toss and get another.
"Gonna need another Timmy" (line from the old
TV show, Dinosaurs)

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Pete C." wrote in message
. com...

Their $3 DMMs inhabit every one of my dozen
or so toolboxes and have never let me down for
quick measurements and saving chasing after my
good Fluke 87. Their mini clamp on DMM/amp
probe also works quite well when I don't need
to get out my Hall effect AC/DC clamp for the
Fluke.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I also really like the cheapie multi meters. They
seem to be fairly accurate, but who can tell?
And, if I fry one, who cares. Toss and get another.
"Gonna need another Timmy" (line from the old
TV show, Dinosaurs)

I've tested the $3 specials side by side with my Fluke 87 and not found
any discrepancies. Their update rate is a bit slow, but other than that
they are just fine. The only drawback to the HF mini clamp meter is it's
use of three CR2032 batteries, but I have yet to replace the originals
several years on so it isn't much of a drawback. Again I've compared
that meter with my hall effect AC/DC clamp and Fluke with good
correlation.

"Pete C." wrote in message
. com...

Their $3 DMMs inhabit every one of my dozen
or so toolboxes and have never let me down for
quick measurements and saving chasing after my
good Fluke 87. Their mini clamp on DMM/amp
probe also works quite well when I don't need
to get out my Hall effect AC/DC clamp for the
Fluke.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Harbor Freight accuracy report for $3 multi meters

Thanks. I had to replace batteries in my mini clamp on, left it turned on.
Since then, I took my yellow marker thingie (liquid yellow enamel paint pen
from Napa, like the auto wrecking yard guys use) and marked the rotary
switch, so I can better see if it's turned off.

I also mark the rotary switches of my $3 DMM.

Thank you for the field report, I'm glad they are reasonably accurate. I've
seen the adjuster pot inside, but never adjusted one.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Pete C." wrote in message
. com...

I've tested the $3 specials side by side with my Fluke 87 and not found
any discrepancies. Their update rate is a bit slow, but other than that
they are just fine. The only drawback to the HF mini clamp meter is it's
use of three CR2032 batteries, but I have yet to replace the originals
several years on so it isn't much of a drawback. Again I've compared
that meter with my hall effect AC/DC clamp and Fluke with good
correlation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 08:13:10 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote

Since I tend to be rough on my tools..and I had ALL of the tools stolen
out of my service truck some years ago..Ive been using HF end and
combination wrenches for the past 10 yrs. Their better ones. Pittsburg
Made in India ones. Work well enough to not have to replace them, still
havent busted one yet...though I am careful about cheaters..shrug

Tools at home...Proto, SK, Snapon.

And they dont get used nearly as much

Gunner

I get a lot of good tools at yard sales. You have to look through a lot of
crap to find the one or two good ones, tho.

Steve

SK sockets 7/16 to 1 1/4", ratchet and extension in 1/2" drive, plus
Crapsman 9mm - 19mm, plus 27 combination wrenches and misc.
screwdrivers, extensions etc. in a good plastic tool box for 10 bux.
Junior is jealous!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 11:05:55 -0500, "Pete C."

On 2012-06-03, Steve B wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote

[...]

My last DMM and a neon test lamp stayed in Spain a year ago to help
senior son avoid shocks when washing dishes - I told him to at least
unplug the garbage disposal before filling the sink but I hear from
Junior that he was still getting shocks four months latter. All
grounded outlets but no ground wires in the service panel (box
containing misc. collection of breakers). Wiring there consists of
single conductors direct burried in plaster walls, exposed for
connection to fixture wires.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shocking dishes

What? Drain pipe or water pipes don't
provide grounding?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

My last DMM and a neon test lamp stayed in Spain
a year ago to help senior son avoid shocks when
washing dishes - I told him to at least unplug the
garbage disposal before filling the sink but I hear from
Junior that he was still getting shocks four months latter.
All grounded outlets but no ground wires in the service
panel (box containing misc. collection of breakers).
Wiring there consists of single conductors direct
burried in plaster walls, exposed for connection to
fixture wires.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-03, Gunner Asch wrote:

[ ... ]

Ive got at least 4 1/2 impact guns (air) and the ones I drag out the
most often..are the Black and Decker/Harbor freight 110vt impact guns.

O.K. I'm reading that two ways. I presume that you mean:

"Four 1/2 inch impact guns"

and not

"Four-and-one-half impact guns"

:-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 21:26:31 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

What? Drain pipe or water pipes don't
provide grounding?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

wrote in message
.. .

My last DMM and a neon test lamp stayed in Spain
a year ago to help senior son avoid shocks when
washing dishes - I told him to at least unplug the
garbage disposal before filling the sink but I hear from
Junior that he was still getting shocks four months latter.
All grounded outlets but no ground wires in the service
panel (box containing misc. collection of breakers).
Wiring there consists of single conductors direct
burried in plaster walls, exposed for connection to
fixture wires.

ABS conducts **** but not electrons.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-03, Gunner Asch wrote:

[ ... ]

Ive got at least 4 1/2 impact guns (air) and the ones I drag out the
most often..are the Black and Decker/Harbor freight 110vt impact guns.

O.K. I'm reading that two ways. I presume that you mean:

"Four 1/2 inch impact guns"

and not

"Four-and-one-half impact guns"

I once bought and resold a two and a half inch impact gun. Bought it
on ebay and sold on ebay.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

And, he's got a 110 Vermont impact gun?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm shocked!
(would be nice if he had copper drain.)

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

ABS conducts **** but not electrons.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 22:57:53 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I'm shocked!
(would be nice if he had copper drain.)

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

wrote in message
.. .

ABS conducts **** but not electrons.

Having no specific knowledge in the matter, I suspect that the ground
conductivity in the mountain villages south of Granada would be quite
low. I do know that, in the purchase of property, water right is a
major concern. This is the right to tap into a source of water for
whatever use, such as crop irrigation. Non irrigated land supports
very little growth of anything other than scrub brush and weed cover.
Any drain plumbing beyond the confines of a building is most likey
through clay tile o,r more recently, plastic pipe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
Christopher A. Young
On 2012-06-03, Gunner Asch wrote:

Ive got at least 4 1/2 impact guns (air) and the ones I drag out
the
most often..are the Black and Decker/Harbor freight 110vt impact
guns.

O.K. I'm reading that two ways. I presume that you mean:

"Four 1/2 inch impact guns"
and not
"Four-and-one-half impact guns"
:-)
Enjoy,
DoN.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_45-45_mk5.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-03, Gunner Asch wrote:

[ ... ]

Ive got at least 4 1/2 impact guns (air) and the ones I drag out the
most often..are the Black and Decker/Harbor freight 110vt impact guns.

O.K. I'm reading that two ways. I presume that you mean:

"Four 1/2 inch impact guns"

and not

"Four-and-one-half impact guns"

:-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Biggest ones I saw was a 2", but it was hydraulic. It was to put on 6" or
thereabouts nuts on a BOP stack or a Hydril on an oilrig. It was rigged up
like drilling tongs, hanging from a chain, and having a chain dead manned
off so it wouldn't send the holder of the device into orbit. They were few
and far between, it was usually a BIG hammer and a hammer wrench. A long
process for two guys, any way you cut it.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-03, Gunner Asch wrote:

[ ... ]

Ive got at least 4 1/2 impact guns (air) and the ones I drag out the
most often..are the Black and Decker/Harbor freight 110vt impact guns.

O.K. I'm reading that two ways. I presume that you mean:

"Four 1/2 inch impact guns"

and not

"Four-and-one-half impact guns"

:-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Biggest ones I saw was a 2", but it was hydraulic. It was to put on 6" or
thereabouts nuts on a BOP stack or a Hydril on an oilrig. It was rigged up
like drilling tongs, hanging from a chain, and having a chain dead manned
off so it wouldn't send the holder of the device into orbit. They were few
and far between, it was usually a BIG hammer and a hammer wrench. A long
process for two guys, any way you cut it.

This is a 2.5 inch impact that I sold:

http://yabe.chudov.com/Ingersoll-Ran...nch-Impactool/

This very impact wrench is also pictured in the Wikipedia article on
Impact Wrenches. I uploaded its picture compared to a small impact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_wrench

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:La...nd-Impacts.jpg

Harbor Freight Jim in Milwaukee Woodworking 4 October 20th 10 02:35 PM
Off to Harbor Freight [email protected] Woodworking 19 April 4th 09 10:17 PM
Harbor Freight tmurf.1 Home Repair 30 May 26th 06 07:31 PM
Harbor Freight does it again... Pete C. Metalworking 58 January 11th 06 04:36 AM
Harbor Freight DC Jimmy Woodworking 12 November 18th 05 05:11 PM