Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Removing chuck from Reed-Prentice lathe

The 3-jaw chuck has been on for at least a year. I need to change chucks.
It mounts on a taper and is drawn in and pushed off with a threaded collar.
The taper is holding tight after beating the spanner wrench for an hour with
a BFH. I even heated the collar. I'll try to get some Kroil in there but
it looks like a tough road. Any ideas from someone familiar with a RP?

Here's a pix of one like mine.
http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mn...?091006/8905/2

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 May 2012 16:13:41 -0400, "Tom Gardner" wrote:

The taper is holding tight after beating the spanner wrench for an hour with
a BFH. I even heated the collar. I'll try to get some Kroil in there but
it looks like a tough road.

First put some heavy duty padding on the ways but make sure you're
wearing good quality steel toed boots just in case. Next get the BFH
and the heat source and any other tools you've used so far out of the
way. Then at a convenient predetermined time have RogerN pray the
chuck onto the padding.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
The 3-jaw chuck has been on for at least a year.
I need to change chucks. It mounts on a taper
and is drawn in and pushed off with a threaded
collar. The taper is holding tight after beating
the spanner wrench for an hour with a BFH. I
even heated the collar. I'll try to get some
Kroil in there but it looks like a tough road.
Any ideas from someone familiar with a RP?

Here's a pix of one like mine.
http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mn...?091006/8905/2

I don't have a RP but why not pass a large bar in
from the
tailstock and clamp on it with the chuck. Then try
the bfh
that way? maybe..... :)
phil k.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/15/2012 6:05 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:
"Tom wrote in message
The 3-jaw chuck has been on for at least a year.
I need to change chucks. It mounts on a taper
and is drawn in and pushed off with a threaded
collar. The taper is holding tight after beating
the spanner wrench for an hour with a BFH. I
even heated the collar. I'll try to get some
Kroil in there but it looks like a tough road.
Any ideas from someone familiar with a RP?

Here's a pix of one like mine.
http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mn...?091006/8905/2

I don't have a RP but why not pass a large bar in
from the
tailstock and clamp on it with the chuck. Then try
the bfh
that way? maybe..... :)
phil k.

It took me a while but I see what you mean! If I can shock the chuck on
the taper, maybe the collar will budge. Good idea Phil, thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
The 3-jaw chuck has been on for at least a year. I need to change chucks.
It mounts on a taper and is drawn in and pushed off with a threaded collar.
The taper is holding tight after beating the spanner wrench for an hour with
a BFH. I even heated the collar. I'll try to get some Kroil in there but
it looks like a tough road. Any ideas from someone familiar with a RP?

Here's a pix of one like mine.
http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mn...?091006/8905/2

Sounds like an L fitting as I have a lathe with a L00 but have never had
a problem with it sticking. I think in the circumstance I would tighten
the collar to try and remove it, maybe even pound on the C spanner a bit
to make sure it's tensioned, then warm the chuck to try and break the
grip and hopefully it'll pop free. I've suggested this to my neighbour
to free the rear axle hubs on his Morgan, IIRC a 5 degree included angle
taper on the end off the half shaft, and once the puller was done up
tight and the hub warmed they just popped off.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
The 3-jaw chuck has been on for at least a year. I need to change chucks.
It mounts on a taper and is drawn in and pushed off with a threaded collar.
The taper is holding tight after beating the spanner wrench for an hour with
a BFH. I even heated the collar. I'll try to get some Kroil in there but
it looks like a tough road. Any ideas from someone familiar with a RP?

Here's a pix of one like mine.
http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mn...?091006/8905/2

Are you turning it the right way? The wrench handle goes over the top
pushing it to the back.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-05-15, Tom Gardner wrote:
The 3-jaw chuck has been on for at least a year. I need to change chucks.
It mounts on a taper and is drawn in and pushed off with a threaded collar.
The taper is holding tight after beating the spanner wrench for an hour with
a BFH. I even heated the collar. I'll try to get some Kroil in there but
it looks like a tough road. Any ideas from someone familiar with a RP?

Here's a pix of one like mine.
http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mn...?091006/8905/2

O.K. That looks like a L-00 (or likely larger) spindle nose.
Of course no photo shows the spindle nose with no chuck installed, but
at least one view from the back shows the notched collar.

I don't have a RP, but my 12x24" Clausing has a L-00 spindle so
I am familiar with removing and installing chucks and collet closers.

Which way are you trying to drive the collar? The threaded part
is on the back of the chuck, not on the spindle, and it is a normal
right-hand thread, so you want to drive the top of the ring towards the
back of the lathe to loosen it. Put a piece of wood (thick plywood or
thicker non-plywood shaped to cradle the chuck on top of the bed before
you start driving. If that is as big as it looks, you certainly don't
want to find yourself having to catch that chuck in a hurry.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/15/2012 9:27 PM, John wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
The 3-jaw chuck has been on for at least a year. I need to change chucks.
It mounts on a taper and is drawn in and pushed off with a threaded
collar.
The taper is holding tight after beating the spanner wrench for an
hour with
a BFH. I even heated the collar. I'll try to get some Kroil in there but
it looks like a tough road. Any ideas from someone familiar with a RP?

Here's a pix of one like mine.
http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mn...?091006/8905/2

Are you turning it the right way? The wrench handle goes over the top
pushing it to the back.

John

Yep! Every time I change the chuck I have to look at the thread and
make sure that I'm turning it right. I've even used a .401 air chissle
with a bit I made just for the collar. Even though the chucks are a
bitch, that is the sweetest lathe in the world!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/15/2012 9:58 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2012-05-15, Tom wrote:
[...]

As soon as the taper hold is broken there is 4 or 5 inches to go to get
the chuck off the nose. We have a winch over the lathe, those chucks
are heavy and I'm old(er). It's still the sweetest lathe in the world
and at 7.5 or 10 hp (I forget) it's got all the balls I ever needed and
it's accurate. I need to change the chuck to trepan 4" holes in twelve
8"x 1" rounds of D-2 for circular shear blades. I sold the design to
a company in Germany 20 years ago for $20k, they couldn't get theirs to
work properly. They make cutting equipment among other things.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-05-15, Tom wrote:
[...]

Oh, the collar IS on the spindle, the chuck has threads.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-05-15, Tom wrote:
[...]

Here ya go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Armstrong-33...em43afad 8a2d

Where's Altoooovez when you need him?

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-05-15, Tom wrote:
[...]

Yea BABY! That and a twenty foot pipe...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"whoyakidding" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 May 2012 16:13:41 -0400, "Tom Gardner" wrote:

The taper is holding tight after beating the spanner wrench for an hour
with
a BFH. I even heated the collar. I'll try to get some Kroil in there but
it looks like a tough road.

First put some heavy duty padding on the ways but make sure you're
wearing good quality steel toed boots just in case. Next get the BFH
and the heat source and any other tools you've used so far out of the
way. Then at a convenient predetermined time have RogerN pray the
chuck onto the padding.

Probably he can't tie his own shoes, either..

Reed Prentice on Craigslist (Taunton MA) $300 Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 3 August 13th 07 06:16 AM
Reed lathe -- looking for comments ni1d Metalworking 2 July 19th 07 05:32 PM
F.E. Reed Lathe shtechie Metalworking 7 November 15th 05 02:04 PM
collet drawbar -Reed Prentice Lathe J.S. Reed Metalworking 3 January 18th 05 09:49 AM
Reed Prentice 14 x 30 lathe questions hambone Metalworking 0 January 6th 05 10:10 AM