Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Removing chuck from Reed-Prentice lathe

On 5/15/2012 11:00 PM, azotic wrote:

On 2012-05-15, Tom wrote:
The 3-jaw chuck has been on for at least a year. I need to change
chucks.
It mounts on a taper and is drawn in and pushed off with a threaded
collar.
The taper is holding tight after beating the spanner wrench for an
hour with
a BFH. I even heated the collar. I'll try to get some Kroil in there
but
it looks like a tough road. Any ideas from someone familiar with a RP?

Here's a pix of one like mine.
http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mn...?091006/8905/2

O.K. That looks like a L-00 (or likely larger) spindle nose.
Of course no photo shows the spindle nose with no chuck installed, but
at least one view from the back shows the notched collar.

I don't have a RP, but my 12x24" Clausing has a L-00 spindle so
I am familiar with removing and installing chucks and collet closers.

Which way are you trying to drive the collar? The threaded part
is on the back of the chuck, not on the spindle, and it is a normal
right-hand thread, so you want to drive the top of the ring towards the
back of the lathe to loosen it. Put a piece of wood (thick plywood or
thicker non-plywood shaped to cradle the chuck on top of the bed before
you start driving. If that is as big as it looks, you certainly don't
want to find yourself having to catch that chuck in a hurry.

Good Luck,
DoN.

Oh, the collar IS on the spindle, the chuck has threads.

Here ya go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Armstrong-33...em43afad 8a2d

Where's Altoooovez when you need him?

Best Regards
Tom.

Yea BABY! That and a twenty foot pipe...