Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Removing chuck from Reed-Prentice lathe

On 5/15/2012 9:27 PM, John wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
The 3-jaw chuck has been on for at least a year. I need to change chucks.
It mounts on a taper and is drawn in and pushed off with a threaded
collar.
The taper is holding tight after beating the spanner wrench for an
hour with
a BFH. I even heated the collar. I'll try to get some Kroil in there but
it looks like a tough road. Any ideas from someone familiar with a RP?

Here's a pix of one like mine.
http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mn...?091006/8905/2

Are you turning it the right way? The wrench handle goes over the top
pushing it to the back.

John

Yep! Every time I change the chuck I have to look at the thread and
make sure that I'm turning it right. I've even used a .401 air chissle
with a bit I made just for the collar. Even though the chucks are a
bitch, that is the sweetest lathe in the world!