Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Removing chuck from Reed-Prentice lathe

On 5/15/2012 6:05 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:
"Tom wrote in message
The 3-jaw chuck has been on for at least a year.
I need to change chucks. It mounts on a taper
and is drawn in and pushed off with a threaded
collar. The taper is holding tight after beating
the spanner wrench for an hour with a BFH. I
even heated the collar. I'll try to get some
Kroil in there but it looks like a tough road.
Any ideas from someone familiar with a RP?

Here's a pix of one like mine.
http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mn...?091006/8905/2

I don't have a RP but why not pass a large bar in
from the
tailstock and clamp on it with the chuck. Then try
the bfh
that way? maybe..... :)
phil k.

It took me a while but I see what you mean! If I can shock the chuck on
the taper, maybe the collar will budge. Good idea Phil, thanks.