Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Yankee push drill #50 three jaw chuck dis-assembly.

I was cleaning a recently acquired North Bros. Yankee No 50 push drill. When
washing the crud out of the chuck with solvent it seems that some debris has
jammed it. Does any one know how to disassemble this chuck or a more
appropriate forum on which to post this question?

Photos he
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r.../P1000365e.jpg
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r.../P1000361e.jpg
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r.../P1000371e.jpg

There isn't any way to open the casing, the slot in the inside on the end of
the spindle cannot be turned either way with reasonable force. I am not sure
of the purpose of the pin, it does not appear to hold the threaded portion
to the Archimedes spindle, it appears to be one piece.

Thanks, John.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Machinist60" wrote in message
I was cleaning a recently acquired North Bros. Yankee No 50 push drill. When washing
the crud out of the chuck with solvent it seems that some debris has jammed it. Does
any one know how to disassemble this chuck or a more appropriate forum on which to
post this question?

Photos he
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r.../P1000365e.jpg
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r.../P1000361e.jpg
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r.../P1000371e.jpg

There isn't any way to open the casing, the slot in the inside on the end of the
spindle cannot be turned either way with reasonable force. I am not sure of the
purpose of the pin, it does not appear to hold the threaded portion to the
Archimedes spindle, it appears to be one piece.

Thanks, John.

You may find a clue here http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/yankeeratcheting.html
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 6 May 2012 20:41:26 -0400
"Machinist60" wrote:

I was cleaning a recently acquired North Bros. Yankee No 50 push drill. When
washing the crud out of the chuck with solvent it seems that some debris has
jammed it. Does any one know how to disassemble this chuck or a more
appropriate forum on which to post this question?

Photos he
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r.../P1000365e.jpg
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r.../P1000361e.jpg
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r.../P1000371e.jpg

There isn't any way to open the casing, the slot in the inside on the end of
the spindle cannot be turned either way with reasonable force. I am not sure
of the purpose of the pin, it does not appear to hold the threaded portion
to the Archimedes spindle, it appears to be one piece.

Hi John,

Don't know if this will help or not, but I believe the patent number
for that chuck is #693,256. See:

http://www.google.com/patents/US693256

some more info on the patent/company he

http://www.datamp.org/patents/advance.php?pn=693256

There is a decent diagram with the patent. Don't know if it is exactly
like yours though. Sometimes there are subtle changes made after
the patent to aid in manufacture (shrug).

That said, it looks like there maybe a screw inside your chuck as in
the patent diagram. The pin may be for attaching the chuck assembly to
the spiral shank. The said screw (labeled I in the patent) may have a
left hand thread. The patent didn't seem to say, but I only skimmed
over it briefly...

Mr. Zachry T. Furbish seems to have had several other patents too. Don't
know if they may be of any help but see:

http://www.datamp.org/patents/search...ny.php?id=1778

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here is a link to repairing these screwdrivers. The sleeve on the very
end
of the chuck may be a press fit that holds the chuck together.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Yank...r-Maintenance/

On May 7, 3:49*pm, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Sun, 6 May 2012 20:41:26 -0400

"Machinist60" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-05-07, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Sun, 6 May 2012 20:41:26 -0400
"Machinist60" wrote:

I was cleaning a recently acquired North Bros. Yankee No 50 push drill. When
washing the crud out of the chuck with solvent it seems that some debris has
jammed it. Does any one know how to disassemble this chuck or a more
appropriate forum on which to post this question?

[ ... ]

There is a decent diagram with the patent. Don't know if it is exactly
like yours though. Sometimes there are subtle changes made after
the patent to aid in manufacture (shrug).

Indeed so.

That said, it looks like there maybe a screw inside your chuck as in
the patent diagram. The pin may be for attaching the chuck assembly to
the spiral shank. The said screw (labeled I in the patent) may have a
left hand thread. The patent didn't seem to say, but I only skimmed
over it briefly...

Not much point to a left-hand thread there since it is
bi-directional in operation, and does not keep the chuck from unscrewing
as do the ones in the hand-held electric drills. But remove the screw
and you should then be able to unscrew the front bell of the chuck to
get to everything else. (Hope that nothing has been poured down that
which resulted in rust in there.

The Yankee screwdrivers (and drills) are intersting tools, and
I've admired them since I first saw one being used by a handyman in
elemetary school working on a door. I think that I was in either the
first grade or the third at that time.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:

(...)

The Yankee screwdrivers (and drills) are intersting tools, and
I've admired them since I first saw one being used by a handyman in
elemetary school working on a door. I think that I was in either the
first grade or the third at that time.

I vaguely recall seeing a miniature version for
sale somewhere. It would've been very useful in
rewiring Data Acquisition probes.

--Winston-- Yes, I thought it was adorable. What of it?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 08 May 2012 09:02:57 -0700, Winston
wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:

(...)

The Yankee screwdrivers (and drills) are intersting tools, and
I've admired them since I first saw one being used by a handyman in
elemetary school working on a door. I think that I was in either the
first grade or the third at that time.

I vaguely recall seeing a miniature version for
sale somewhere. It would've been very useful in
rewiring Data Acquisition probes.

My neighbor built an entire plywood boat with one of those, using
brass screws, back when they screwed boats together rather than gluing
them. I watched him work for hours when I was a kid.

They're very slick. I still have two of them, and used one to assemble
the 1/2" seat decking on my son's luxury sandbox 20 years ago.

But I've never taken one apart, so I can't answer the OP's question.

--
Ed Huntress

--Winston-- Yes, I thought it was adorable. What of it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
On Tue, 08 May 2012 09:02:57 -0700,
wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:

(...)

The Yankee screwdrivers (and drills) are intersting tools, and
I've admired them since I first saw one being used by a handyman in
elemetary school working on a door. I think that I was in either the
first grade or the third at that time.

I vaguely recall seeing a miniature version for
sale somewhere. It would've been very useful in
rewiring Data Acquisition probes.

My neighbor built an entire plywood boat with one of those, using
brass screws, back when they screwed boats together rather than gluing
them. I watched him work for hours when I was a kid.

They're very slick. I still have two of them, and used one to assemble
the 1/2" seat decking on my son's luxury sandbox 20 years ago.

But I've never taken one apart, so I can't answer the OP's question.

I noted that one 'net article patiently explained
that the Yankee could be used to drive screws
"(...) just like you do with your drill".

That made me smile.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 08 May 2012 10:12:16 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
On Tue, 08 May 2012 09:02:57 -0700,
wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:

(...)

[...]

Actually, I have three of them: two Yankee screwdrivers, and one
Yankee drill. The drill has a chrome handle and a set of
straight-flute bits in the handle. The screwdrivers are bigger, and
have wooden handles.

The ones I was referring do actually were Yankee screwdrivers. I use
my drill around the house for making little holes. It's much lighter
and handier than a cordless drill for small jobs.

Until I got my cordless, I used it for drilling pilot holes in the
cedar siding (80 years old, each piece removed, glued where necessary,
and belt-sanded before replacing) on one side of my house.
It did get to my wrist after a while, which is why I got the cordless
drill.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

(...)

Actually, I have three of them: two Yankee screwdrivers, and one
Yankee drill. The drill has a chrome handle and a set of
straight-flute bits in the handle. The screwdrivers are bigger, and
have wooden handles.

The ones I was referring do actually were Yankee screwdrivers. I use
my drill around the house for making little holes. It's much lighter
and handier than a cordless drill for small jobs.

Until I got my cordless, I used it for drilling pilot holes in the
cedar siding (80 years old, each piece removed, glued where necessary,
and belt-sanded before replacing) on one side of my house.
It did get to my wrist after a while, which is why I got the cordless
drill.

Ah, that's right.
The Yankee drill was the 'little Yankee screwdriver' I misremembered.

The Yankee 133H & 233H both look like very nice tools, though.
http://www.oldtoolsnstuff.com/yankeescrewdriverpage.htm

I doubt they *ever* need recharging.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 08 May 2012 12:08:15 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

(...)

[...]

That depends on what you ate for breakfast. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 7 May 2012 21:41:47 -0400
"Machinist60" wrote:

big snip
Many thanks for your reply Leon. I had checked a little but am not as good
at finding stuff as you are.

Patents US693256 and US701195 appear to describe this tool pretty closely.
You are right I think about the minor mods to save cost or manufacturing
time. My chuck is definitely one piece (F & C). I did think screw may be
left handed but I see nothing in the patent to indicate this but it would
make sense. I thought this screw may have been a riveted nut from its
appearance but I now think its more likely that the centre of its head has
been damaged by someone try to remove it or by tools slipping in the chuck.
My next step is to apply heat, but not so much as to spoil the springs G and
make/modify a common screwdriver that will fit inside the chuck.

Hi John,

Just got lucky finding the patent, I've learned some too searching for
"What is it?" items...

I tend to agree with Don's thought that a left hand thread isn't needed
there. But I've been burned too many times with them not keep that
possibility in mind.

You may be able to use a 1/4 inch insert bit for that screw. Carefully
grind it down to fit nice and snug. Another thought is to try using one
of the hand impact wrenches with said bit. Like one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-...ase-37530.html

I would try clamping the spiral and lower part of the chuck between
something like 2x4's in a large vice and then try the impact
screwdriver if you can't budge it by hand.

Good luck!

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 May 2012 21:41:47 -0400
"Machinist60" wrote:

[...]

Turns out that the screw inside the chuck is right handed and was not at all
tight after a little heat. The jamming turned out to be galling in the main
chuck thread when a bit of debris got in. It was a very tight fitting
thread so I cut the male section a little deeper and now all is well. The
assembly of the jaws inside the chuck is still a mystery to me, the parts D,
b and I do not come out, the body must be pressed together but I cannot tell
exactly where.

Any ways it will function and thanks for your help and enlightening
discussion everyone.

John.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 8 May 2012 22:12:19 -0400
"Machinist60" wrote:

big snip
Turns out that the screw inside the chuck is right handed and was not at all
tight after a little heat. The jamming turned out to be galling in the main
chuck thread when a bit of debris got in. It was a very tight fitting
thread so I cut the male section a little deeper and now all is well. The
assembly of the jaws inside the chuck is still a mystery to me, the parts D,
b and I do not come out, the body must be pressed together but I cannot tell
exactly where.

Any ways it will function and thanks for your help and enlightening
discussion everyone.

Nice to read your follow-up and that surgery was successful

I try to quit while I'm ahead nowadays... been burned too many times
trying to get that last little bit of something apart and then end up
ruining said item. Curiosity can be a two-bladed sword for sure.

In reading the info for patent 693,256 I began to wonder what kept parts
C and F from working loose during use. I suspect that was a problem in
design or I misunderstood something. There was a comment in the text
near line 75 saying that "The sleeve (F) is forced tightly against the
flange c of the ring C, so that the ring and sleeve move as a unit."
Your picture didn't look the same in that area, no flange on c. I
suspect the parts separate in that area, but if you got it working
without going any farther I would think it prudent to call it good, as
you did ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b