Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Charles Lessig Charles Lessig is offline

Default Yankee push drill #50 three jaw chuck dis-assembly.

Here is a link to repairing these screwdrivers. The sleeve on the very
end
of the chuck may be a press fit that holds the chuck together.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Yank...r-Maintenance/

On May 7, 3:49*pm, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Sun, 6 May 2012 20:41:26 -0400

"Machinist60" wrote:
I was cleaning a recently acquired North Bros. Yankee No 50 push drill. When
washing the crud out of the chuck with solvent it seems that some debris has
jammed it. Does any one know how to disassemble this chuck or a more
appropriate forum on which to post this question?

Photos he
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r.../P1000365e.jpg
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r.../P1000361e.jpg
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r.../P1000371e.jpg

There isn't any way to open the casing, the slot in the inside on the end of
the spindle cannot be turned either way with reasonable force. I am not sure
of the purpose of the pin, it does not appear to hold the threaded portion
to the Archimedes spindle, it appears to be one piece.

Hi John,

Don't know if this will help or not, but I believe the patent number
for that chuck is #693,256. See:

http://www.google.com/patents/US693256

some more info on the patent/company he

http://www.datamp.org/patents/advance.php?pn=693256

There is a decent diagram with the patent. Don't know if it is exactly
like yours though. Sometimes there are subtle changes made after
the patent to aid in manufacture (shrug).

That said, it looks like there maybe a screw inside your chuck as in
the patent diagram. The pin may be for attaching the chuck assembly to
the spiral shank. The said screw (labeled I in the patent) may have a
left hand thread. The patent didn't seem to say, but I only skimmed
over it briefly...

Mr. Zachry T. Furbish seems to have had several other patents too. Don't
know if they may be of any help but see:

http://www.datamp.org/patents/search...ny.php?id=1778

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids *MI/Zone 5b