Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Attn. Tom Gardner, injuries from cheap grill brushes,

Tom, you should publicize this to customers who have switched or are
thinking of switching to cheap imported grill brushes. They can seriously
harm customers. One emergency room saw six cases in 18 months

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0328142807.htm

Makes you want to chew your burger very well before swallowing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/28/2012 12:52 PM, anorton wrote:
Tom, you should publicize this to customers who have switched or are
thinking of switching to cheap imported grill brushes.

Your story link doesn't say anything about the brushes being either
"cheap" or "imported", asshole.

They can
seriously harm customers. One emergency room saw six cases in 18 months

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0328142807.htm

Makes you want to chew your burger very well before swallowing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/28/2012 11:52 AM, anorton wrote:

Makes you want to chew your burger very well before swallowing.

Makes me want to inspect the grill after brushing.... I'd rather find
bristles there than in a mouthful of burger!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

Tom, you should publicize this to customers who have switched or are
thinking of switching to cheap imported grill brushes. They can seriously
harm customers. One emergency room saw six cases in 18 months

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0328142807.htm

Makes you want to chew your burger very well before swallowing.

All good restaurants have strict protocols to prevent food from getting
contaminated with wire from brushes. Even the best brushes wear and shed
wire but imports shed much worse. Home grillers need to be aware of this
issue and take precautions but most people have no clue and there are no
warnings on consumer brushes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/28/2012 2:18 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

Tom, you should publicize this to customers who have switched or are
thinking of switching to cheap imported grill brushes. They can seriously
harm customers. One emergency room saw six cases in 18 months

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0328142807.htm

Makes you want to chew your burger very well before swallowing.

All good restaurants have strict protocols to prevent food from getting
contaminated with wire from brushes. Even the best brushes wear and shed
wire but imports shed much worse. Home grillers need to be aware of this
issue and take precautions but most people have no clue and there are no
warnings on consumer brushes.

I have brushed the grills of Weber kettle barbecues countless times, and
have never once seen a fragment of wire adhere to the grill following
brushing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Delvin Benet" ýt wrote in message
On 3/28/2012 12:52 PM, anorton wrote:
Tom, you should publicize this to customers who have switched or are
thinking of switching to cheap imported grill brushes.

Your story link doesn't say anything about the brushes being either
"cheap" or "imported", asshole.

I think by definition, grill brushes that shed wires are cheap even if not
inexpensive. Given that this is a recent phenomenon and Tom has been
complaining of cheap imported grill brushes flooding the market, am I really
an asshole to make this assumption?

I dislike Tom's politics and general attitudes towards society as much
anyone here, but if his company makes brushes that do not injure people,
then I see it as a public service to help keep them on the market.

They can
seriously harm customers. One emergency room saw six cases in 18 months

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0328142807.htm

Makes you want to chew your burger very well before swallowing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

George Plimpton fired this volley in
:

I have brushed the grills of Weber kettle barbecues countless times,

and
have never once seen a fragment of wire adhere to the grill following
brushing.

A lot of this is the "Two Democrats on an Escalator" syndrome.

If one brushes the grill, one would _ordinarily_ inspect the work --
maybe to find bristles, but at least to see if it was clean. Doing so
would divulge if there were bristles left there.

But, like the video mentioned above, once brushed, "There's nothing else
we can do" if you're a typical "let the gov'mint take care of it" pap
swiller. It's _always_ someone else's fault.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Should the government be empowered to warn us about everything dangerous?

Do not use grille brush while grille is hot, and the burner is turned on!

Do not use grille brush while driving in Los Angeles rush hour traffic!

Do not use grille brush to do baby's hair!

Do not use grille brush to wipe baby's butt!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

All good restaurants have strict protocols to prevent food from getting
contaminated with wire from brushes. Even the best brushes wear and shed
wire but imports shed much worse. Home grillers need to be aware of this
issue and take precautions but most people have no clue and there are no
warnings on consumer brushes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .

Should the government be empowered to warn us about everything dangerous?

Do not use grille brush while grille is hot, and the burner is turned on!

Do not use grille brush while driving in Los Angeles rush hour traffic!

Do not use grille brush to do baby's hair!

Do not use grille brush to wipe baby's butt!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

That's EXACTLY the sticker I use!
..

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

All good restaurants have strict protocols to prevent food from getting
contaminated with wire from brushes. Even the best brushes wear and shed
wire but imports shed much worse. Home grillers need to be aware of this
issue and take precautions but most people have no clue and there are no
warnings on consumer brushes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think I might have used one of your grille brushes last week. That's where
I read the warning. Fortunately, the metal piece got Scooter, and he's not
worth saving. All he does is preschool, and he's not even reading Dr. Seuss
yet.

Sad part, is that there are probably 100 attorneys reading this list, and
think the sticker you put on, doesn't go far enough.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .

Should the government be empowered to warn us about everything dangerous?

Do not use grille brush while grille is hot, and the burner is turned on!

Do not use grille brush while driving in Los Angeles rush hour traffic!

Do not use grille brush to do baby's hair!

Do not use grille brush to wipe baby's butt!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

That's EXACTLY the sticker I use!
..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Should the government be empowered to warn us about everything dangerous?

Do not use grille brush while grille is hot, and the burner is turned on!

Do not use grille brush while driving in Los Angeles rush hour traffic!

Do not use grille brush to do baby's hair!

Do not use grille brush to wipe baby's butt!

Do use a grille brush on liberal trolls! Use two!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/28/2012 5:22 PM, George Plimpton wrote:
On 3/28/2012 2:18 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

Tom, you should publicize this to customers who have switched or are
thinking of switching to cheap imported grill brushes. They can seriously
harm customers. One emergency room saw six cases in 18 months

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0328142807.htm

Makes you want to chew your burger very well before swallowing.

All good restaurants have strict protocols to prevent food from getting
contaminated with wire from brushes. Even the best brushes wear and shed
wire but imports shed much worse. Home grillers need to be aware of this
issue and take precautions but most people have no clue and there are no
warnings on consumer brushes.

I have brushed the grills of Weber kettle barbecues countless times, and
have never once seen a fragment of wire adhere to the grill following
brushing.

Commercial grills are very different and cooks are grilling under
pressure to get the food out. Brushing is supposed to be only part of
the cleaning protocol.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Should the government be empowered to warn us about everything dangerous?

Do not use grille brush while grille is hot, and the burner is turned on!

Do not use grille brush while driving in Los Angeles rush hour traffic!

Do not use grille brush to do baby's hair!

Do not use grille brush to wipe baby's butt!

Do use a grille brush on liberal trolls! Use two!

....and throw both away and buy new ones!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oh, gosh, don't want to catch liberalism.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tom Gardner" mars@tacks wrote in message

Do use a grille brush on liberal trolls! Use two!

....and throw both away and buy new ones!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

Tom, you should publicize this to customers who have switched or are
thinking of switching to cheap imported grill brushes. They can seriously
harm customers. One emergency room saw six cases in 18 months

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0328142807.htm

Makes you want to chew your burger very well before swallowing.

All good restaurants have strict protocols to prevent food from getting
contaminated with wire from brushes. Even the best brushes wear and shed
wire but imports shed much worse. Home grillers need to be aware of this
issue and take precautions but most people have no clue and there are no
warnings on consumer brushes.

This may be heresy, but I don't use a brush to clean the grill any more.
Not that I ever had bristles coming loose. I cook burgers very hot,
usually 450 F, and quick (larger burgers get cooler longer), and find
that if I scrub the brill bars with a stainless steel curly scour pad
while thr grill is still that hot, the grum comes right off. The scour
pad is held with 18" long tongs, so my fingers don't cook.

I got the idea when I was a kid working at McDonalds, watching the
short-order cook, who was a pro. He used a steel scraper followed by a
wet rag swirled around with tongs. The grill was a big (3' by 4', if
memory serves) heavy (1/2") sheet of mild steel.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/30/2012 7:34 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In ,
"Tom wrote:

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

[...]

You've got the ticket! But, I do have a consumer grill brush in
prototype and testing stage that the likes of which has never been
imagined before! However, at $30+ retail price it's going to be tough
unless I can get costs down. Also, I will last for a very, very long
time...another negative, be dishwasher safe and versions for work on
porcelain, stainless and cast iron grills. It's a spin on a brush
especially developed for "Outback Steakhouse" wood-burning grills.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Anyone can take anything and hurt themselves. I've picked out dozens of
pieces of wire from all over my body from the small $20 cup knot Makita
brushes, and I'd call that a "decent" brush.

Oh, did I mention that I have the presence of mind to use my face shield
every time I use a high rpm brush?

Others can and will do as they want. I don't wish blindness on anyone, even
an asshole.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ... Grill brushes,

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 05:46:36 -0400, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 3/30/2012 7:34 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

This may be heresy, but I don't use a brush to clean the grill any
more. Not that I ever had bristles coming loose. I cook burgers very
hot, usually 450 F, and quick (larger burgers get cooler longer), and
find that if I scrub the brill bars with a stainless steel curly scour
pad while the grill is still that hot, the grum comes right off. The
scour pad is held with 18" long tongs, so my fingers don't cook.

I got the idea when I was a kid working at McDonalds, watching the
short-order cook, who was a pro. He used a steel scraper followed by a
wet rag swirled around with tongs. The grill was a big (3' by 4', if
memory serves) heavy (1/2") sheet of mild steel.

You've got the ticket! But, I do have a consumer grill brush in
prototype and testing stage that the likes of which has never been
imagined before! However, at $30+ retail price it's going to be tough
unless I can get costs down. Also, I will last for a very, very long
time...another negative, be dishwasher safe and versions for work on
porcelain, stainless and cast iron grills. It's a spin on a brush
especially developed for "Outback Steakhouse" wood-burning grills.

Tom, you apparently mean that $30+ retail is an already-decided
price, and that it will be difficult to make a profit. Is the
problem due to materials costs, or complicated assembly process,
or tight pricing? (I realize that as manufacturer you only get a
fraction of the retail price, but don't know if that fraction is
close to 2/3 or closer to 1/3.) Regarding manufacturing, is
assembly technically but not economically (at this point) feasible
to automate? Or not feasible technically?

--
jiw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

On 3/30/2012 7:34 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In ,
"Tom wrote:

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

Tom, you should publicize this to customers who have switched or are
thinking of switching to cheap imported grill brushes. They can seriously
harm customers. One emergency room saw six cases in 18 months

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0328142807.htm

Makes you want to chew your burger very well before swallowing.

All good restaurants have strict protocols to prevent food from getting
contaminated with wire from brushes. Even the best brushes wear and shed
wire but imports shed much worse. Home grillers need to be aware of this
issue and take precautions but most people have no clue and there are no
warnings on consumer brushes.

This may be heresy, but I don't use a brush to clean the grill any more.
Not that I ever had bristles coming loose. I cook burgers very hot,
usually 450 F, and quick (larger burgers get cooked cooler for longer), and find
[...]

Are photos yet available?

If there is any plastic used, it must not be much damaged by accidental
contact with metal at 550 F.

My other shop-made grill tool is a scraper with a blade custom made to
fit (by shape and spacing) the grill bars on my Weber grill. I bought a
Hyde paint scraper, the kind with a square steel blade screwed to the
flat end of a steel rod handle for that handle, and made an aluminum
scraper plate that has a tooth that is shaped to fit between adjacent
bars, making full contact on the facing sides of adjacent bars. This is
used to get big deposits off, right down the flanks of the bars. Only
one of the four corners is cut into a tooth, as I have only one grill,
but if produced for a wider market, each corner could be shaped for a
specific common grill type.

There are two problems with this scraper design. First is that it would
be better if the tooth blade were at an angle to the handle axis, so the
blade could be perpendicular to the grill bars without causing knuckles
to touch hot metal. Second is that aluminum on steel makes for loud
screeching noises. Steel on steel would be less obnoxious, I bet.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/1/2012 11:49 AM, James Waldby wrote:

Tom, you apparently mean that $30+ retail is an already-decided
price, and that it will be difficult to make a profit. Is the
problem due to materials costs, or complicated assembly process,
or tight pricing? (I realize that as manufacturer you only get a
fraction of the retail price, but don't know if that fraction is
close to 2/3 or closer to 1/3.) Regarding manufacturing, is
assembly technically but not economically (at this point) feasible
to automate? Or not feasible technically?

Material is expensive! Stainless steel, brass or bronze wire is three
time what it cost a few years ago...and they were expensive then! The
assembly costs are dependent on quantity and until volume justifies
better methods, it'll cost more than it should. Yep, typically I get
about a third to half of retail price so I have to make this for $10-15
including OH and profit. Pricing has to fit what the market is willing
to pay. Typically, a cheepie grill brush for consumers sells for $5-10.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/1/2012 3:41 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In articlel_Cdnck8xsSdueXSnZ2dnUVZ_o2dnZ2d@giganews. com,
Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

On 3/30/2012 7:34 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In ,
"Tom wrote:

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

[...]

There is no plastic or wood just plated steel. We are working on
getting a patent-pending before we show it. I keep getting my products
stolen and made in China. (I think our Government encourages this!)

I've seen the scalloped scrapers like yours, they are grill-specific and
don't seem to hold up well, nobody make them very well.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Oh, gosh, don't want to catch liberalism.

Is THAT how it's spread?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I dunno, but I'm not taking chances. Gloves, gown, and Rush Limbaugh on
earbuds.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Oh, gosh, don't want to catch liberalism.

Is THAT how it's spread?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

On 4/1/2012 3:41 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In articlel_Cdnck8xsSdueXSnZ2dnUVZ_o2dnZ2d@giganews. com,
Tom Gardnermars@tacks wrote:

On 3/30/2012 7:34 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In ,
"Tom wrote:

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

[...]

It's first to file now, so don't tarry.

I'm assuming that you seek a design patent, versus a utility patent.

I've seen the scalloped scrapers like yours, they are grill-specific and
don't seem to hold up well, nobody make them very well.

I've seen them. The steel is too thin and springy and oddly angled, and
it's on the back of a brush, making use a bit awkward.

The other difference is that they try to fit over two or three adjacent
bars, versus a single cleverly shaped tooth that fits between any pair
of adjacent bars.

Joe Gwinn