Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Attn. Tom Gardner, injuries from cheap grill brushes,

On 3/30/2012 7:34 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In ,
"Tom wrote:

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

Tom, you should publicize this to customers who have switched or are
thinking of switching to cheap imported grill brushes. They can seriously
harm customers. One emergency room saw six cases in 18 months

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0328142807.htm

Makes you want to chew your burger very well before swallowing.

All good restaurants have strict protocols to prevent food from getting
contaminated with wire from brushes. Even the best brushes wear and shed
wire but imports shed much worse. Home grillers need to be aware of this
issue and take precautions but most people have no clue and there are no
warnings on consumer brushes.

This may be heresy, but I don't use a brush to clean the grill any more.
Not that I ever had bristles coming loose. I cook burgers very hot,
usually 450 F, and quick (larger burgers get cooler longer), and find
that if I scrub the brill bars with a stainless steel curly scour pad
while thr grill is still that hot, the grum comes right off. The scour
pad is held with 18" long tongs, so my fingers don't cook.

I got the idea when I was a kid working at McDonalds, watching the
short-order cook, who was a pro. He used a steel scraper followed by a
wet rag swirled around with tongs. The grill was a big (3' by 4', if
memory serves) heavy (1/2") sheet of mild steel.

Joe Gwinn

You've got the ticket! But, I do have a consumer grill brush in
prototype and testing stage that the likes of which has never been
imagined before! However, at $30+ retail price it's going to be tough
unless I can get costs down. Also, I will last for a very, very long
time...another negative, be dishwasher safe and versions for work on
porcelain, stainless and cast iron grills. It's a spin on a brush
especially developed for "Outback Steakhouse" wood-burning grills.