Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ... Grill brushes,

On 4/1/2012 11:49 AM, James Waldby wrote:

Tom, you apparently mean that $30+ retail is an already-decided
price, and that it will be difficult to make a profit. Is the
problem due to materials costs, or complicated assembly process,
or tight pricing? (I realize that as manufacturer you only get a
fraction of the retail price, but don't know if that fraction is
close to 2/3 or closer to 1/3.) Regarding manufacturing, is
assembly technically but not economically (at this point) feasible
to automate? Or not feasible technically?

Material is expensive! Stainless steel, brass or bronze wire is three
time what it cost a few years ago...and they were expensive then! The
assembly costs are dependent on quantity and until volume justifies
better methods, it'll cost more than it should. Yep, typically I get
about a third to half of retail price so I have to make this for $10-15
including OH and profit. Pricing has to fit what the market is willing
to pay. Typically, a cheepie grill brush for consumers sells for $5-10.