Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby[_3_] James Waldby[_3_] is offline

Default ... Grill brushes,

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 05:46:36 -0400, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 3/30/2012 7:34 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

This may be heresy, but I don't use a brush to clean the grill any
more. Not that I ever had bristles coming loose. I cook burgers very
hot, usually 450 F, and quick (larger burgers get cooler longer), and
find that if I scrub the brill bars with a stainless steel curly scour
pad while the grill is still that hot, the grum comes right off. The
scour pad is held with 18" long tongs, so my fingers don't cook.

I got the idea when I was a kid working at McDonalds, watching the
short-order cook, who was a pro. He used a steel scraper followed by a
wet rag swirled around with tongs. The grill was a big (3' by 4', if
memory serves) heavy (1/2") sheet of mild steel.

You've got the ticket! But, I do have a consumer grill brush in
prototype and testing stage that the likes of which has never been
imagined before! However, at $30+ retail price it's going to be tough
unless I can get costs down. Also, I will last for a very, very long
time...another negative, be dishwasher safe and versions for work on
porcelain, stainless and cast iron grills. It's a spin on a brush
especially developed for "Outback Steakhouse" wood-burning grills.

Tom, you apparently mean that $30+ retail is an already-decided
price, and that it will be difficult to make a profit. Is the
problem due to materials costs, or complicated assembly process,
or tight pricing? (I realize that as manufacturer you only get a
fraction of the retail price, but don't know if that fraction is
close to 2/3 or closer to 1/3.) Regarding manufacturing, is
assembly technically but not economically (at this point) feasible
to automate? Or not feasible technically?

--
jiw