Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting iron with embedded gravel

Yes, iron of an unknown alloy with embedded gravel. Sort of like a stony iron
meteorite only far less valuable. Not totally worthless either, which is why I
want to cut it. Google "Plateau Putorano", Shirokovsky and Mendota if your
curious what I might have.

Approximately 11" X 16" X 23" but with all roughness would need a horizontal
saw with a 12" X 17" capacity. Looking for blade / cutting fluid
recommendations before I take it to a big shop and end up with a huge bill and
an uncut bolder. Real meteorites are typically cut on a diamond wire saw.
Prices I have found run over $100 per slice. Ouch! Well worth it if mine were
real which sadly it is not. Yes, I have had it tested...

If I can get one thick slice out of the center I have a small local shop that
can cut hand sized specimens for me. Practice a bit and know for sure which
blade(s) will work before bothering a large machine shop to cut full slices.
Suggestions on how butcher the one thick slice would be appreciated too. I'm
thinking cutting from both sides with a large abrasive blade might work since I
managed to get a small chunk off this way.
--
William

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Bagwell fired this volley in
:

Approximately 11" X 16" X 23" but with all roughness would need a
horizontal saw with a 12" X 17" capacity. Looking for blade / cutting
fluid recommendations before I take it to a big shop and end up with a
huge bill and an uncut bolder

A gullet-style carbide grit blade should cut it.

I have a saw that would cut more than halfway through in one stroke G.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 7, 8:45*am, William Bagwell
wrote:

Real meteorites are typically cut on a diamond wire saw.
Prices I have found run over $100 per slice. Ouch! Well worth it if mine were
real which sadly it is not. Yes, I have had it tested...

William

A mud saw will do it. A brief search on the internet finds two
designs. One using a cord , the other an iron disk. I expect the one
with the iron disk would wear the disk at about the same rate as it
cut your specimen.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 10:45:07 -0500, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

[...]

Good answer! smoky grinne

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Bagwell" wrote in message
[...]

I would go to any local lapidary shop, advertise for a lapidary hobbyist, or
perhaps take it to a local university, and see if they would cut it if you
would let them have a slice, too, for their samples.

If you are going to get into this seriously, I'd invest in a saw, or at
least find someone to cut future specimens.

I, too, am a meteorite searcher. Nothing yet, but it really is a thing of
persistence, and spending a lot of time searching. I got a metal detector
and a super magnet. I've found lots of little pieces, which have yet to be
evaluated.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Hummm...no. Now TrimStick might do it..but detcord..it wont be very
clean

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 07:54:03 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

A gullet-style carbide grit blade should cut it.

Thanks. A bit pricey, but I might get lucky and find a shop that bought one for
another job and never used the blade again. Think I might have a grit style
hole saw I can play with.

I have a saw that would cut more than halfway through in one stroke G.

Pictures please!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 06:52:14 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

A mud saw will do it. A brief search on the internet finds two
designs. One using a cord , the other an iron disk. I expect the one
with the iron disk would wear the disk at about the same rate as it
cut your specimen.

Ah, something else to research. A quick look showed one link that might include
plans. Thanks!
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 10:45:07 -0500, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

Primacord!

Sounds like fun! How about I secure the necessary permits and You, Larry and
Gunner get to watch in exchange for polishing the resulting pieces to a mirror
finish. Sound like fair deal? ;-)
--
William

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote

Hummm...no. Now TrimStick might do it..but detcord..it wont be very
clean

Gunner

We used a lot of that stuff diving. It was a lot of fun. And of course,
you always wanted to be sure the parts would part, so what the hell, a few
extra wraps .............. and two more just for sure................

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 08:49:09 -0800, "Steve B" wrote:

I would go to any local lapidary shop, advertise for a lapidary hobbyist, or
perhaps take it to a local university, and see if they would cut it if you
would let them have a slice, too, for their samples.

If only it were real there is a mineral museum near me that would probably do
just what you suggest. Still waiting to hear back from the local meteorite
club. Got some good response from the mailing list, just no specifics on
cutting. (Other than expensive wire saws...)

If you are going to get into this seriously, I'd invest in a saw, or at
least find someone to cut future specimens.

For the part slices I may go this route. Investing in something that will cut
full slices is way out of my league.

I, too, am a meteorite searcher. Nothing yet, but it really is a thing of
persistence, and spending a lot of time searching. I got a metal detector
and a super magnet. I've found lots of little pieces, which have yet to be
evaluated.

Oddly I have had mine since 1973 and only cut two small viewing 'windows' just
a few weeks ago. Had my hopes up for a week until I got the bad news from the
lab:-(

Link here if anyone wants to see pictures.
http://alt-config.net/rustyrock.html
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Bagwell fired this volley in
:

Sounds like fun! How about I secure the necessary permits and You,
Larry and Gunner get to watch in exchange for polishing the resulting
pieces to a mirror finish. Sound like fair deal? ;-)
--

My wife is a licensed blaster, and I am a licensed fireworks manufacturer.

Maybe we can get Gunner to light the fuse! G

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Bagwell fired this volley in
:

Sounds like fun! How about I secure the necessary permits and You,
Larry and Gunner get to watch in exchange for polishing the resulting
pieces to a mirror finish. Sound like fair deal? ;-)
--

ACTUALLY... that brought up an idea. How about feather and wedge
splitting, followed by grinding? You're not going to get a "mirror

You could split, mill with carbide to a flat surface (light cuts, lest
you yank out pieces of the iron), and polish on a jeweler's lap.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Bagwell wrote:
[...]

Could it be some sort of slag left over from iron or steel making. I've
seen shots of small pieces of slag produced by cupola furnaces that
sometimes have significant quantities of iron mixed in.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 11:27:55 -0800, "Steve B" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote

Hummm...no. Now TrimStick might do it..but detcord..it wont be very
clean

Gunner

We used a lot of that stuff diving. It was a lot of fun. And of course,
you always wanted to be sure the parts would part, so what the hell, a few
extra wraps .............. and two more just for sure................

Steve

I couldn't find anything googling TrimStick... But that might be the
Nanny State saving us from ourselves.

I'm betting that's the copper angle style Linear Shaped Charge that
the Loizeaux Brothers like to strap to the sides and web of a heavy
I-beam column and slice it like a hot knife through butter...

But that cube is rather thick for that. I'd stat thinking the diamond
wire saw or gang saw angle, go find a Marble Slab finishing plant.
They deal with that stuff every day.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 20:40:15 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

William Bagwell wrote:
On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 08:49:09 -0800, "Steve B" wrote:

Link here if anyone wants to see pictures.
http://alt-config.net/rustyrock.html

Could it be some sort of slag left over from iron or steel making. I've
seen shots of small pieces of slag produced by cupola furnaces that
sometimes have significant quantities of iron mixed in.

Industrial accident is high on my list of guesses as to how this thing came to
exist. Ordinary slag typically has holes and voids. This has none and the two
windows I have made are 14" apart and both show 'basaltic' looking solid rocks
perfectly imbedded in solid metal. Also no holes visible any where on the rusty
old surface.
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)"
fired this volley in
:

I'm betting that's the copper angle style Linear Shaped Charge that
the Loizeaux Brothers like to strap to the sides and web of a heavy
I-beam column and slice it like a hot knife through butter...

"Monroe charge", I think (Mom's the expert). I believe the TrimStick is a
pre-built Monroe charge.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Billington" wrote

Could it be some sort of slag left over from iron or steel making. I've
seen shots of small pieces of slag produced by cupola furnaces that
sometimes have significant quantities of iron mixed in.

I saw a very interesting PBS program about an ancient copper smelting
operation, where slag pieces were left in football field sized refuse heaps.
This bears investigation to at least identify what the source was. Perhaps
it may be a meteorite. Perhaps, it may be a piece of ancient slag from an
ancient smelting process, which may invite further investigation from the
educated crowd.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 14:31:27 -0800, "Steve B" wrote:

"David Billington" wrote

Could it be some sort of slag left over from iron or steel making. I've
seen shots of small pieces of slag produced by cupola furnaces that
sometimes have significant quantities of iron mixed in.

I saw a very interesting PBS program about an ancient copper smelting
operation, where slag pieces were left in football field sized refuse heaps.
This bears investigation to at least identify what the source was. Perhaps
it may be a meteorite. Perhaps, it may be a piece of ancient slag from an
ancient smelting process, which may invite further investigation from the
educated crowd.

Steve

If it has gravel in it, it's not slag. The crud from the bottom of a
cupula furncace has hard bits of slag in it, but you wouldn't mistake
it for gravel.

They used those dregs to cast junk items like window sash weights. You
can't saw them because the slag is hard as rocks, but it doesn't look
like rocks.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You need a Rock slab saw. These are 36" diamond blades running on a
fine screw that advances the work into the blade while a strong spray is
cooling the cut and blade.

We have chunks of that around here - the size of houses. Ours are from
an old (now gone) forge - been running since the republic days - making
everything from horse shoes to manhole covers, engine blocks for engines
used across the country and the latest thing that killed the company -
dealing with GM. Same the famous foundry is now gone at the greed and
miss-deeds leading them down the wrong path.

Martin

On 12/7/2011 7:45 AM, William Bagwell wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 21:00:58 -0600, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

[...]

Aha! Now that you mention it, this could be the mess that's left after
the end of the pour, when the air is shut off and they knock the props
out from under the cupola floor. Under the floor is a sand bed; the
remaining iron and slag falls down into that; and then the chunks of
crud are poked out after the cupola cools down. There's probably a lot
of sand or gravel in the mix. I never actually saw that stuff, so I
don't know what it looks like.

Not having seen a full run of a big cupola, I forgot about that part.
I hope that everyone interested in metalworking gets to see a big
cupola furnace in operation before they're all gone. There are a lot
of very small ones being run by hobbyists.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yep - weights in some curtain (movie, play) that counterbalance
are also so-so.

Consider this - you dump all sorts of scrap and ore into the pot and
pour out the good stuff. The crud on the bottom builds up until it
is dumped. They dump it hot as can be and out on a scrap area floor
covered in stone so the hot metal won't boil the cement on the floors.

Now just what is in that junk. Often it is stuff that won't melt
on the temperatures they are using. Like cobalt and other fancy stuff.

Kinda like getting a sheet of 1/4" HRS and cutting it nicely and then
whack - the cut goes crappy - then back good. I've mapped a region
on a sheet that had a bearing or balls and races pressed into the steel.
No cold but were in the scrap and didn't melt well - maybe mushy not
liquid. They are rolled out while the steel is red hot and under high
pressure. It smears the junk flat into the sheet as the sheet gets
thinner and thinner.

So it might be a hidden treasure of different kind, only not much.

Martin

On 12/7/2011 4:37 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 14:31:27 -0800, "Steve wrote:

"David wrote

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 14:26:43 -0500, William Bagwell
wrote:

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 10:45:07 -0500, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

Primacord!

Sounds like fun! How about I secure the necessary permits and You, Larry and
Gunner get to watch in exchange for polishing the resulting pieces to a mirror
finish. Sound like fair deal? ;-)

Sure! You're supplying all the HF grinders and wheels, right? I'll
grind, Gunner'll buff, and Tawm will polish for the exercise.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the
existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of
the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 21:22:35 -0600, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Yep - weights in some curtain (movie, play) that counterbalance
are also so-so.

Consider this - you dump all sorts of scrap and ore into the pot and
pour out the good stuff. The crud on the bottom builds up until it
is dumped. They dump it hot as can be and out on a scrap area floor
covered in stone so the hot metal won't boil the cement on the floors.

Now just what is in that junk. Often it is stuff that won't melt
on the temperatures they are using. Like cobalt and other fancy stuff.

Yeah, in a later post I remembered the part about dumping the ash,
slag, and last dregs of iron onto the sand bed under the cupola. Maybe
that's what the material is.

Kinda like getting a sheet of 1/4" HRS and cutting it nicely and then
whack - the cut goes crappy - then back good. I've mapped a region
on a sheet that had a bearing or balls and races pressed into the steel.
No cold but were in the scrap and didn't melt well - maybe mushy not
liquid. They are rolled out while the steel is red hot and under high
pressure. It smears the junk flat into the sheet as the sheet gets
thinner and thinner.

Some years ago i mentioned that we ran into that very thing in the
shop I worked in, back in the '70s. We had slabbed off some disks from
a piece of steel bar and were milling them in the Bridgeport when we
hit a nearly intact tap. g I don't recall if it was HSS, but I think
it was.

That's why some critical items demand electroslag remelt, or
vacuum-arc remelt. Even carbide goes away when you do it that way.

--
Ed Huntress

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 14:35:37 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

William Bagwell fired this volley in
:

Sounds like fun! How about I secure the necessary permits and You,
Larry and Gunner get to watch in exchange for polishing the resulting
pieces to a mirror finish. Sound like fair deal? ;-)
--

My wife is a licensed blaster, and I am a licensed fireworks manufacturer.

Maybe we can get Gunner to light the fuse! G

Lloyd

I used to have a Class B when I worked for Atlas Powder Co.

Gunner

Gunner Asch