Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Bagwell William Bagwell is offline

Default Cutting iron with embedded gravel

On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 08:49:09 -0800, "Steve B" wrote:

I would go to any local lapidary shop, advertise for a lapidary hobbyist, or
perhaps take it to a local university, and see if they would cut it if you
would let them have a slice, too, for their samples.

If only it were real there is a mineral museum near me that would probably do
just what you suggest. Still waiting to hear back from the local meteorite
club. Got some good response from the mailing list, just no specifics on
cutting. (Other than expensive wire saws...)

If you are going to get into this seriously, I'd invest in a saw, or at
least find someone to cut future specimens.

For the part slices I may go this route. Investing in something that will cut
full slices is way out of my league.

I, too, am a meteorite searcher. Nothing yet, but it really is a thing of
persistence, and spending a lot of time searching. I got a metal detector
and a super magnet. I've found lots of little pieces, which have yet to be
evaluated.

Oddly I have had mine since 1973 and only cut two small viewing 'windows' just
a few weeks ago. Had my hopes up for a week until I got the bad news from the
lab:-(

Link here if anyone wants to see pictures.
http://alt-config.net/rustyrock.html
--
William