Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Cutting iron with embedded gravel

"David Billington" wrote

Could it be some sort of slag left over from iron or steel making. I've
seen shots of small pieces of slag produced by cupola furnaces that
sometimes have significant quantities of iron mixed in.

I saw a very interesting PBS program about an ancient copper smelting
operation, where slag pieces were left in football field sized refuse heaps.
This bears investigation to at least identify what the source was. Perhaps
it may be a meteorite. Perhaps, it may be a piece of ancient slag from an
ancient smelting process, which may invite further investigation from the
educated crowd.

Steve