Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting iron with embedded gravel

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 10:45:07 -0500, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

On 12/7/2011 8:45 AM, William Bagwell wrote:
Yes, iron of an unknown alloy with embedded gravel. Sort of like a stony iron
meteorite only far less valuable. Not totally worthless either, which is why I
want to cut it. Google "Plateau Putorano", Shirokovsky and Mendota if your
curious what I might have.

Approximately 11" X 16" X 23" but with all roughness would need a horizontal
saw with a 12" X 17" capacity. Looking for blade / cutting fluid
recommendations before I take it to a big shop and end up with a huge bill and
an uncut bolder. Real meteorites are typically cut on a diamond wire saw.
Prices I have found run over $100 per slice. Ouch! Well worth it if mine were
real which sadly it is not. Yes, I have had it tested...

If I can get one thick slice out of the center I have a small local shop that
can cut hand sized specimens for me. Practice a bit and know for sure which
blade(s) will work before bothering a large machine shop to cut full slices.
Suggestions on how butcher the one thick slice would be appreciated too. I'm
thinking cutting from both sides with a large abrasive blade might work since I
managed to get a small chunk off this way.

Primacord!

Hummm...no. Now TrimStick might do it..but detcord..it wont be very
clean

Gunner

Gunner Asch