Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default One Tonne Gold Coin

With the recent ton vs tonne debate, here it is: the ultimate gold
coin. 1000Kg of 99.99% pure gold.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=923_1322908267

1000Kg = 2200 lbs.
2200 lbs. x 16 oz./lb. = 35,200 oz.
Gold is currently $1745 US per oz.
Coin is worth $61,424,000 US

I am sure, since this coin is so large, it is for all practical uses
valueless. So if you Aussie guys are looking to get rid of this
albatross, you may feel free to drop ship it to my house.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/3/2011 7:15 AM, lid wrote:
With the recent ton vs tonne debate, here it is: the ultimate gold
coin. 1000Kg of 99.99% pure gold.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=923_1322908267

1000Kg = 2200 lbs.
2200 lbs. x 16 oz./lb. = 35,200 oz.
Gold is currently $1745 US per oz.
Coin is worth $61,424,000 US

I am sure, since this coin is so large, it is for all practical uses
valueless. So if you Aussie guys are looking to get rid of this
albatross, you may feel free to drop ship it to my house.
Dave

OOOPS!!!! Gold is measured in avoirdupois units. There are 12 ounces per
pound. Go figure again!

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul Drahn" wrote in message
On 12/3/2011 7:15 AM, lid wrote:
With the recent ton vs tonne debate, here it is: the ultimate gold
coin. 1000Kg of 99.99% pure gold.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=923_1322908267

1000Kg = 2200 lbs.
2200 lbs. x 16 oz./lb. = 35,200 oz.
Gold is currently $1745 US per oz.
Coin is worth $61,424,000 US

I am sure, since this coin is so large, it is for all practical uses
valueless. So if you Aussie guys are looking to get rid of this
albatross, you may feel free to drop ship it to my house.
Dave

OOOPS!!!! Gold is measured in avoirdupois units. There are 12 ounces per
pound. Go figure again!

Paul

Still wrong.
Gold is measured in Troy units
There are 31.1035 grams to the Troy oz
32150.7225 Troy oz coin
$56,103,015 US

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It is interesting to note how small it is, for one ton of weight. Gold
is so dense.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 10:15:15 -0500, lid wrote:

With the recent ton vs tonne debate, here it is: the ultimate gold
coin. 1000Kg of 99.99% pure gold.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=923_1322908267

1000Kg = 2200 lbs.
2200 lbs. x 16 oz./lb. = 35,200 oz.
Gold is currently $1745 US per oz.
Coin is worth $61,424,000 US

I am sure, since this coin is so large, it is for all practical uses
valueless. So if you Aussie guys are looking to get rid of this
albatross, you may feel free to drop ship it to my house.
Dave

Its no more valueless than a large safe filled with $100
bills...well..humm...ah...err....eeep...lets change that to a large safe
filled with $61,424,000 worth of diamonds

Its just gonna be really hard to get change if you buy something.

And the value seems to be rising at a significant rate..unlike
diamonds....

VBG

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 10:08:44 -0600, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

"Paul Drahn" wrote in message
OOOPS!!!! Gold is measured in avoirdupois units. There are 12 ounces per
pound. Go figure again!
Paul

Still wrong.
Gold is measured in Troy units
There are 31.1035 grams to the Troy oz
32150.7225 Troy oz coin
$56,103,015 US
Paul K. Dickman

Hmmmm......so there is some confusion about how to value this thing
(me not an expert in the gold biz). I tried to tell them Aussies, it's
worthless. Send it to me....right away. I'll even pay shipping.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, December 3, 2011 7:15:15 AM UTC-8, (unknown) wrote:
With the recent ton vs tonne debate, here it is: the ultimate gold
coin. 1000Kg of 99.99% pure gold.

Yeah, OK, but (obligatory metalworking content) it's just a disk
unless it was shaped by die pressure (coined). So, it's not
really a coin, unless one of those stamp-out-tank-turret
bits of heavy machinery was employed to shape it, against
a carefully sculpted reverse-carved die.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
With the recent ton vs tonne debate, here it is: the ultimate gold
coin. 1000Kg of 99.99% pure gold.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=923_1322908267

1000Kg = 2200 lbs.
2200 lbs. x 16 oz./lb. = 35,200 oz.
Gold is currently $1745 US per oz.
Coin is worth $61,424,000 US

I am sure, since this coin is so large, it is for all practical uses
valueless. So if you Aussie guys are looking to get rid of this
albatross, you may feel free to drop ship it to my house.
Dave

I would Dave, but it won't fit im my tinnie. ( that's Aussie for aluminium
row boat)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
With the recent ton vs tonne debate, here it is: the ultimate gold
coin. 1000Kg of 99.99% pure gold.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=923_1322908267

1000Kg = 2200 lbs.
2200 lbs. x 16 oz./lb. = 35,200 oz.
Gold is currently $1745 US per oz.
Coin is worth $61,424,000 US

I am sure, since this coin is so large, it is for all practical uses
valueless. So if you Aussie guys are looking to get rid of this
albatross, you may feel free to drop ship it to my house.
Dave

I would Dave, but its too heavy for my tinnie. That's Strine ( Australian)
for alluminium row boat)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm curious as to why, for a 1-off, they went to the trouble & expense
of a steel mould. Why not lost wax, for example? I know it would have
been a challenge supporting it, but wouldn't it have still been
easier/cheaper that that HUGE steel mould?

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 18:55:29 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I'm curious as to why, for a 1-off, they went to the trouble & expense
of a steel mould. Why not lost wax, for example? I know it would have
been a challenge supporting it, but wouldn't it have still been
easier/cheaper that that HUGE steel mould?

Bob

When you have 64 million bux worth of gold, spending 50 or 100 grand
on a mold is chump change.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 10:41:14 +1100, "Grumpy"
wrote:

I would Dave, but its too heavy for my tinnie. That's Strine ( Australian)
for alluminium row boat)

If the rest of the English speaking world cuts Oz some slack, speaking
Strine will allow you to keep your probationary status as a member of
the English speaking countries. Too many additional funny words for
things, and your probation will be revoked.

BTW, I thought a "tinnie" was Strine for a can of beer. I would be
lost in Oz without some quick lessons in the local dialect.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I'm curious as to why, for a 1-off, they went to the trouble & expense
of a steel mould. Why not lost wax, for example? I know it would have
been a challenge supporting it, but wouldn't it have still been
easier/cheaper that that HUGE steel mould?

I bet the steel was needed to handle the sheer weight ofthe coin, and
the hydraulic pressure at the bottom of the mold.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I would Dave, but its too heavy for my tinnie. That's Strine (
Australian)
for alluminium row boat)

If the rest of the English speaking world cuts Oz some slack, speaking
Strine will allow you to keep your probationary status as a member of
the English speaking countries. Too many additional funny words for
things, and your probation will be revoked.

BTW, I thought a "tinnie" was Strine for a can of beer. I would be
lost in Oz without some quick lessons in the local dialect.
Dave

I reckon we used to call them "tinnies" 30+ years ago - probably when the
cans were steel.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm curious as to why, for a 1-off, they went to the trouble & expense
of a steel mould. Why not lost wax, for example? I know it would have
been a challenge supporting it, but wouldn't it have still been
easier/cheaper that that HUGE steel mould?

Bob

It looked like the outside body of the mold was steel, but the facings
were in some sort of black carbon like material, not steel.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm curious as to why, for a 1-off, they went to the trouble & expense
of a steel mould. Why not lost wax, for example? I know it would have
been a challenge supporting it, but wouldn't it have still been
easier/cheaper that that HUGE steel mould?

Bob

It looked like the outside body of the mold was steel, but the facings
were in some sort of black carbon like material, not steel.

Gunner

Good catch. Maybe a graphite mold. We have used those for short-run
die castings.

http://www.graphitesupplies.com/serv...lds/Categories

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I suspect Carbide like the carbide vessels sold to melt metal in.
Graphite might burn off - oxidize and loose 'face' ! :-)

The fact that it is on the graphite supplies.com site might tell.
But gold is a hot metal 1064 to melt I don't know combustion - likely
much higher. Maybe I'm worrying over nothing.

I know when doing metal molds one always 'smokes' the faces - put carbon
on it - as a release material. Otherwise the metal might try to flux
and amalgamate with the mold.

So it might be steel or bronze coated with a good layer of carbon black.

Martin

wrote:

I'm curious as to why, for a 1-off, they went to the trouble& expense
of a steel mould. Why not lost wax, for example? I know it would have
been a challenge supporting it, but wouldn't it have still been
easier/cheaper that that HUGE steel mould?

Bob

It looked like the outside body of the mold was steel, but the facings
were in some sort of black carbon like material, not steel.

Gunner

Good catch. Maybe a graphite mold. We have used those for short-run
die castings.

http://www.graphitesupplies.com/serv...lds/Categories

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I would Dave, but its too heavy for my tinnie. That's Strine (
Australian)
for alluminium row boat)

If the rest of the English speaking world cuts Oz some slack, speaking
Strine will allow you to keep your probationary status as a member of
the English speaking countries. Too many additional funny words for
things, and your probation will be revoked.

BTW, I thought a "tinnie" was Strine for a can of beer. I would be
lost in Oz without some quick lessons in the local dialect.
Dave

Yep. Tinnie is also used for a beer. True Aussies prefer the beerincans as
its easier to cool down quickly. If you have access to a buld propane truck
a couple of squirts of liquid propane will cool a tinnie, but it will break
a bottle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dennis" wrote in message
. au...

wrote:

I would Dave, but its too heavy for my tinnie. That's Strine (
Australian)
for alluminium row boat)

If the rest of the English speaking world cuts Oz some slack, speaking
Strine will allow you to keep your probationary status as a member of
the English speaking countries. Too many additional funny words for
things, and your probation will be revoked.

BTW, I thought a "tinnie" was Strine for a can of beer. I would be
lost in Oz without some quick lessons in the local dialect.
Dave

I reckon we used to call them "tinnies" 30+ years ago - probably when the
cans were steel.

Ya, that's a fact. Too many good Aussie words have been lost. Kids spend
all their time watching international television

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 22:46:59 -0600, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

And speaking of pressure - what is the needed pressure
for that monster?

32 feet per second/per second.

Normal gravity.

Bob wrote:

I'm curious as to why, for a 1-off, they went to the trouble& expense
of a steel mould. Why not lost wax, for example? I know it would have
been a challenge supporting it, but wouldn't it have still been
easier/cheaper that that HUGE steel mould?

I bet the steel was needed to handle the sheer weight ofthe coin, and
the hydraulic pressure at the bottom of the mold.

Joe Gwinn

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 23:14:06 -0600, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

I suspect Carbide like the carbide vessels sold to melt metal in.
Graphite might burn off - oxidize and loose 'face' ! :-)

The fact that it is on the graphite supplies.com site might tell.
But gold is a hot metal 1064 to melt I don't know combustion - likely
much higher. Maybe I'm worrying over nothing.

I know when doing metal molds one always 'smokes' the faces - put carbon
on it - as a release material. Otherwise the metal might try to flux
and amalgamate with the mold.

So it might be steel or bronze coated with a good layer of carbon black.

Martin

If you watch the video..they show a CNC router doing the cutouts for the
lettering and so forth..all in a black substance.

wrote:

I'm curious as to why, for a 1-off, they went to the trouble& expense
of a steel mould. Why not lost wax, for example? I know it would have
been a challenge supporting it, but wouldn't it have still been
easier/cheaper that that HUGE steel mould?

Bob

It looked like the outside body of the mold was steel, but the facings
were in some sort of black carbon like material, not steel.

Gunner

Good catch. Maybe a graphite mold. We have used those for short-run
die castings.

http://www.graphitesupplies.com/serv...lds/Categories

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Why bother with converting from metric units?
The current price of gold here in UK is £35.835/gm. 1000Kg is
,1000,000gms, so the amount of gold is worth £35,835,000. At the current
exchange rate (today is 4 Dec 2011) that is $55,884,681.77

--
Regards, Gary Wooding
(To reply by email, change gug to goog in my address)

On 03/12/2011 16:08, Paul K. Dickman wrote:
"Paul wrote in message
On 12/3/2011 7:15 AM, lid wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 15:16:44 +0000, the renowned lemel_man
wrote:

Why bother with converting from metric units?

Mostly because the price of gold as reported on the daily news is
quoted in US dollars per troy ounce.

Maybe some day we'll have to convert from CNY (kuai) per gram, but not
yet.

The current price of gold here in UK is £35.835/gm. 1000Kg is
,1000,000gms, so the amount of gold is worth £35,835,000. At the current
exchange rate (today is 4 Dec 2011) that is $55,884,681.77

Type in 1000kg in troy oz into Google:

1000 kilograms = 32150.7466 troy oz

Gold price from kitco.com: http://www.kitco.com/market/
1745.8 US $/troy oz (halfway between bid & ask price) & we get
56,128,(772.4)

Google also says from 56128772.4 USD in GBP

35.9869029 million British pounds

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 22:18:19 +1100, "Grumpy"
wrote:

"Dennis" wrote in message
.au...

wrote:

I would Dave, but its too heavy for my tinnie. That's Strine (
Australian)
for alluminium row boat)

If the rest of the English speaking world cuts Oz some slack, speaking
Strine will allow you to keep your probationary status as a member of
the English speaking countries. Too many additional funny words for
things, and your probation will be revoked.

BTW, I thought a "tinnie" was Strine for a can of beer. I would be
lost in Oz without some quick lessons in the local dialect.
Dave

I reckon we used to call them "tinnies" 30+ years ago - probably when the
cans were steel.

Ya, that's a fact. Too many good Aussie words have been lost. Kids spend
all their time watching international television

Not lost, just in somewhat more disuse, ya silly sandgroper.

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html Alive and well.
(2 other links I had are now gone, proving my point.)

--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 11:36:28 -0800 (PST), whit3rd
wrote:

On Saturday, December 3, 2011 7:15:15 AM UTC-8, (unknown) wrote:
With the recent ton vs tonne debate, here it is: the ultimate gold
coin. 1000Kg of 99.99% pure gold.

Yeah, OK, but (obligatory metalworking content) it's just a disk
unless it was shaped by die pressure (coined). So, it's not
really a coin, unless one of those stamp-out-tank-turret
bits of heavy machinery was employed to shape it, against
a carefully sculpted reverse-carved die.

Good point it's a casting, so that would make it bullion, correct? A
coin needs to be "coined" in a press.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Saturday, December 3, 2011 7:15:15 AM UTC-8, (unknown) wrote:
With the recent ton vs tonne debate, here it is: the ultimate gold
coin. 1000Kg of 99.99% pure gold.

Yeah, OK, but (obligatory metalworking content) it's just a disk
unless it was shaped by die pressure (coined). So, it's not
really a coin, unless one of those stamp-out-tank-turret
bits of heavy machinery was employed to shape it, against
a carefully sculpted reverse-carved die.

Good point it's a casting, so that would make it bullion, correct? A
coin needs to be "coined" in a press.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

That's a really interesting question, but the answer isn't that clear.
"Coin" derives from a word for "wedge," and some sources say that the
earliest stamping dies were wedge-shaped. This is a misreading; the
fact is, the earliest coins were shaped like a bronze ax-head, which
is where the "wedge" comes in.

The next step was flat coins with a stamped image of an ax-head struck
into them. So striking, or stamping, became an accepted part of what a
"coin" was.

Today, we have fully integrated the idea of stamping or striking into
our definition of "coin" (the verb), but it is not a necessary part of
"coin" (the noun).

Still, I think that most people would agree with you that this "coin"
is not "coined," so it's not a "coin." Bullion (from "boiling")
generally is just simple cast blocks or sticks, sometimes with a
weight and/or a certifying stamp struck into it. So much of the
bullion in the world is coined. d8-)

(metalworking trivia impulse "off")

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
And speaking of pressure - what is the needed pressure
for that monster?

32 feet per second/per second.

Normal gravity.

That's not a unit of pressure. It's a unit of acceleration.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 10:23:40 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

The video (as at http://1tonnegoldcoin.com/) appears to show handwork
stippling, ie stamping small marks into the surface. See particularly
http://1tonnegoldcoin.com/img/gallery/full/18.jpeg and
http://1tonnegoldcoin.com/img/gallery/full/22.jpeg.

Some pictures selected from slide show at
http://1tonnegoldcoin.com/ include: Edge machining with a
router: http://1tonnegoldcoin.com/img/gallery/full/21.jpeg
The mold blanks: http://1tonnegoldcoin.com/img/gallery/full/4.jpeg
Obverse moldface: http://1tonnegoldcoin.com/img/gallery/full/6.jpeg
Reverse moldface: http://1tonnegoldcoin.com/img/gallery/full/7.jpeg
Both faces: http://1tonnegoldcoin.com/img/gallery/full/8.jpeg
Gold pouring: http://1tonnegoldcoin.com/img/gallery/full/12.jpeg
After pouring: http://1tonnegoldcoin.com/img/gallery/full/15.jpeg
Demolding: http://1tonnegoldcoin.com/img/gallery/full/16.jpeg

Re pressure in mold, it would have been ca. 22 psi near most of the
bottom edge of the mold (~ 31.5" diameter * 0.698 pounds/cubic inch)
and ~ 28 psi in the bottom tab extension of the casting.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
James Waldby wrote:

Re pressure in mold, it would have been ca. 22 psi near most of the
bottom edge of the mold (~ 31.5" diameter * 0.698 pounds/cubic inch)
and ~ 28 psi in the bottom tab extension of the casting.

That's actually a lot. What's the total force trying to push the mold
halves apart? About (22/2)(Pi (31.2/2)^2)= 8,572 pounds, with max force
at bottom and zero force at the top of the sprue.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 18:41:02 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

I would Dave, but its too heavy for my tinnie. That's Strine (
Australian)
for alluminium row boat)

If the rest of the English speaking world cuts Oz some slack, speaking
Strine will allow you to keep your probationary status as a member of
the English speaking countries. Too many additional funny words for
things, and your probation will be revoked.

BTW, I thought a "tinnie" was Strine for a can of beer. I would be
lost in Oz without some quick lessons in the local dialect.
Dave

Yep. Tinnie is also used for a beer. True Aussies prefer the beerincans as
its easier to cool down quickly. If you have access to a buld propane truck
a couple of squirts of liquid propane will cool a tinnie, but it will break
a bottle.

Why does that strike me as quintessentially Australian?

It's marginally safer to use a truck with bulk Carbon Dioxide or
Liquid Nitrogen, but Propane works fine if done with a bit of care

Liquid Oxygen would work too, but any loose oil or grease and it could
also get real exciting, real fast. Heck, you can light asphalt paving
on fire... Let's not, and say we did.

-- Bruce --

Removing Lead Solder From Gold Coin (2nd try) Joe Metalworking 8 October 14th 12 07:37 AM
Tonne bags. mark UK diy 24 October 28th 10 09:28 PM
1 tonne bag of aggregate John Anderton[_2_] UK diy 8 May 7th 09 06:53 PM
hot tub -v- 60 tonne crane [email protected] UK diy 23 October 5th 05 10:56 PM
Polyethylene terephthalate price per tonne roy davidson UK diy 3 December 15th 04 02:41 PM