Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ping Karl T. -Hydraulic Gear Puller

I remember you wanting something like this last summer, just happened
to see Harbor Freight has a self contained model:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-ton-t...ler-95326.html

===
5 Ton Three Jaw Hydraulic Gear Puller

Item # 95326 Manufacturer: U.S. General

Only:$59.99

Description

Delivers up to 10,000 lbs. of pulling force
Three reversible forged jaws for inside or outside pulling
16" handle with rubber grip
Organized storage case
Overall dimensions: 17.32" L x 5.9" W x 5.9" H
Shipping Weight: 15.00 lbs.
===

There is a coupon for it in their Inside Track Club for, $45.99 good
till 12/31/2011. I couldn't find anyway to use these though online
without a membership...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 15:26:16 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

I remember you wanting something like this last summer, just happened
to see Harbor Freight has a self contained model:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-ton-t...ler-95326.html

===
5 Ton Three Jaw Hydraulic Gear Puller

Item # 95326 Manufacturer: U.S. General

Only:$59.99

Description

Delivers up to 10,000 lbs. of pulling force
Three reversible forged jaws for inside or outside pulling
16" handle with rubber grip
Organized storage case
Overall dimensions: 17.32" L x 5.9" W x 5.9" H
Shipping Weight: 15.00 lbs.
===

There is a coupon for it in their Inside Track Club for, $45.99 good
till 12/31/2011. I couldn't find anyway to use these though online
without a membership...

It would sure be nice if they had put on a 4th tab for setting it up as
a 2 jaw puller.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

There is a coupon for it in their Inside Track Club for, $45.99 good
till 12/31/2011. I couldn't find anyway to use these though online
without a membership...

I have to pay $29.99 a year to be able to use those ITC coupons, and
sure as hell don't want people to be able to use them for free. If you
join them right now you get a $10 gift card, making a one cent savings
on the regular price, plus the lower sales tax.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I remember you wanting something like this last summer, just happened
to see Harbor Freight has a self contained model:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-ton-t...ler-95326.html

===
5 Ton Three Jaw Hydraulic Gear Puller

Item # 95326 Manufacturer: U.S. General

Only:$59.99

Description

Delivers up to 10,000 lbs. of pulling force
Three reversible forged jaws for inside or outside pulling
16" handle with rubber grip
Organized storage case
Overall dimensions: 17.32" L x 5.9" W x 5.9" H
Shipping Weight: 15.00 lbs.
===

There is a coupon for it in their Inside Track Club for, $45.99 good
till 12/31/2011. I couldn't find anyway to use these though online
without a membership...

Thanks for the heads up. I indeed need something like this.

I've got an ebay search for "enerpac puller". I won a ten ton a month
ago but the vendor wanted $60 ship and handle so I cancelled the sale.
http://www.enerpac.com/en/product/554

If eBay doesn't come through, I'll get the horrible fright unit

Thanks

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 08:46:33 -0500
Karl Townsend wrote:

snip
If eBay doesn't come through, I'll get the horrible fright unit

I didn't spot it yesterday until later, but they have a 12 ton version
too:

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-...ler-66657.html

===
12 Ton Hydraulic Gear Puller
Item # 66657
Manufacturer: Central Hydraulics
Only:$79.99

Description

Easily removes the most stubborn gears, pulleys and flywheels.
12 ton maximum pull
Heavy duty steel construction
Jaws are reversible for inside or outside pulling
Handles pulleys up to 9-3/4" outside diameter
16" pump handle with cushion grip
Jaw spread: 9-3/4"
Ram travel: 2"
Shipping Weight: 25.56 lbs.
===

If I remember right, the bigger version would have worked out better
last summer...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 20:42:36 -0500
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote:

There is a coupon for it in their Inside Track Club for, $45.99 good
till 12/31/2011. I couldn't find anyway to use these though online
without a membership...

I have to pay $29.99 a year to be able to use those ITC coupons, and
sure as hell don't want people to be able to use them for free. If you
join them right now you get a $10 gift card, making a one cent savings
on the regular price, plus the lower sales tax.

I can appreciate what you're saying, but I was just passing on that
there was a better deal if you happened to have an ITC membership.

While mucking about looking for coupons, discounts I saw where several
people mentioned that the stores don't always ask for your ITC
membership card and the coupon works okay. Other people said that they
"Photoshop" the coupon and remove the "ITC" part and the store still
takes it (shrug).

I don't do enough business with HF to warrant getting one (ITC). Between
sale prices and coupons I do okay enough. The most frustrating thing
with HF is going to the store and finding out they don't have it in
stock. That happens to me at least half the time. The store is a 40
mile drive there and back and almost always a special trip. That blows
$8 in fuel costs alone, not to mention annoyance...

Right now they are offering flat rate shipping for $6.99 on most items
that aren't deemed "overweight" (through 12/31/2011). So I tried
ordering a couple things. I'll find out if that works or not. Noticed
several people complaining that they couldn't ship items in a
satisfactory manner either. Thin box, one swipe of tape, missing items
from box, damaged items... But there really isn't any other inexpensive
game-in-town so we all put up with it

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote:

There is a coupon for it in their Inside Track Club for, $45.99 good
till 12/31/2011. I couldn't find anyway to use these though online
without a membership...

I have to pay $29.99 a year to be able to use those ITC coupons, and
sure as hell don't want people to be able to use them for free. If you
join them right now you get a $10 gift card, making a one cent savings
on the regular price, plus the lower sales tax.

I can appreciate what you're saying, but I was just passing on that
there was a better deal if you happened to have an ITC membership.

While mucking about looking for coupons, discounts I saw where several
people mentioned that the stores don't always ask for your ITC
membership card and the coupon works okay. Other people said that they
"Photoshop" the coupon and remove the "ITC" part and the store still
takes it (shrug).

The discount doesn't show up without a card at the local store, so
they may be dealing with older stores, or are lying. I know several
people who tried to get the ITC discount without a card here, and all of
them complained that they were 'cheated' out of the discount. I buy
enough to at least cover the card, but not as many tools as I used to.

I don't do enough business with HF to warrant getting one (ITC). Between
sale prices and coupons I do okay enough. The most frustrating thing
with HF is going to the store and finding out they don't have it in
stock. That happens to me at least half the time. The store is a 40
mile drive there and back and almost always a special trip. That blows
$8 in fuel costs alone, not to mention annoyance...

It's about a 25-30 mile round trip for me, so I make other stops in
the area when I go to HF.

Right now they are offering flat rate shipping for $6.99 on most items
that aren't deemed "overweight" (through 12/31/2011). So I tried
ordering a couple things. I'll find out if that works or not. Noticed
several people complaining that they couldn't ship items in a
satisfactory manner either. Thin box, one swipe of tape, missing items
from box, damaged items... But there really isn't any other inexpensive
game-in-town so we all put up with it

I also have two independent cheap tool dealers that started at the
flea market, and now have small stores. They have some good things, but
a lot is higher priced than HF, or lower quality. I bought a floor
stand 1'2" rill press from one of them about 10 years ago. The casting
that holds the gear to raise & lower the table was only partially
machined, so I spent four hours with mill ******* files to finish the
notches to fit over the rack. They said I should have returned it for a
refund, but it was the last one the had, and I had already assembled the
rest of the tool. The owner's wife had thrown in a 14" chop saw for the
same price, so I only had about $60 in the DP.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If I remember right, the bigger version would have worked out better
last summer...

Yep, I'm sure I was WAY over five ton. If I see it, I'll get a 20 ton
unit. The local dealer charges $250 to pull rear wheel bearings on my
Ford tractors. I need two done on one tractor for sure. Its a
recurring job, probably paid to have this done ten times over the
years.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 19:44:20 -0500
Karl Townsend wrote:

snip
Yep, I'm sure I was WAY over five ton. If I see it, I'll get a 20 ton
unit. The local dealer charges $250 to pull rear wheel bearings on my
Ford tractors. I need two done on one tractor for sure. Its a
recurring job, probably paid to have this done ten times over the
years.

I'm sure it is more work than you care to do... Take a look at the
manual, pdf file for either of these (same manual). The parts diagram
shows what appears to be a hydraulic jack with the outside barrel
threaded. The ram is what pushes on the end of a shaft. The pulling
spider threads onto the outside barrel of the "jack". Kind of
interesting to see how it is made/works.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/1/2011 6:44 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

... The local dealer charges $250 to pull rear wheel bearings on my
Ford tractors. I need two done on one tractor for sure. Its a
recurring job, probably paid to have this done ten times over the
years.

????

Why? What kind/size of tractor? This is incredible unless they're
antiques but then wouldn't think get that kind of hours...

Have multiple tractors from 30hp to 250hp (drawbar) of up to 30 yr old
and 10000+ field hours and never replaced a rear wheel bearing.

The old Farmalls (early/mid-60s 450/460/560, etc.) were notorious for
rear ends but that wasn't the wheel bearings but torque converters
weren't stout enough). Some later red Case-IH have had similar problems
but I can't recall hearing of anybody having rear axle bearing problems
repetitively.

Time to go green.

I'm really curious what these are and how they're used/why there's an
apparent weak point...will admit the only Ford tractor have ever been
around was a neighbor had an 8N when I was a kid used around the house
that was kinda' cute and handy. We had an old Cat 22 (22 drawbar hp)
that had a retrofit scoop on it that we used in those days until got the
Allis D17 which was also a fairly low-center straddle tranny design
similar to the Ford and was a nice small loader tractor. Would like to
have one of them again as nostalgia/collector item altho the height w/
current trucks and would make it almost useless for actual work; it just
doesn't have the lift. The JD 4440 w/ the 148 loader will barely reach
second level large bales on hay hauler; the 158 loader has about another
6-8" reach that is more than handy but so far haven't found one was will
to pay the difference for to swap it out...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 13:26:04 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 12/1/2011 6:44 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

... The local dealer charges $250 to pull rear wheel bearings on my
Ford tractors. I need two done on one tractor for sure. Its a
recurring job, probably paid to have this done ten times over the
years.

????

Why? What kind/size of tractor? This is incredible unless they're
antiques but then wouldn't think get that kind of hours...

This is a weak point on my Ford tractors, I have an 8N, an NAA, a 2000
three cylinder, and a 3600 three cylinder. After a few years of hard
use the rear seal leaks oil onto the brakes and you got no brakes. The
bearing isn't shot, but it is loose letting the wheel rock a bit
sideways. Its a very slow leak, just enough to oil the brakes after
about 100 hours or so. I pull the brakes apart once a year and
pressure wash when it first starts, then bite the bullet and spend the
$500 to have the bearing pressed off and replaced when it gets worse.

NOTE:These tractors get rode hard and put away wet. Hobby use won't do
this.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:

Why? What kind/size of tractor? This is incredible unless they're
antiques but then wouldn't think get that kind of hours...

On the subject of antique machines, the city of Orlando is offering
the famous 1911 Steam train, the 'Orange Blossom Special' for free. If
no one takes it, it will be cut up and hauled away as scrap metal. It
is the entire train, not just the locomotive.