Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Ping Karl T. -Hydraulic Gear Puller

On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 19:44:20 -0500
Karl Townsend wrote:

snip
Yep, I'm sure I was WAY over five ton. If I see it, I'll get a 20 ton
unit. The local dealer charges $250 to pull rear wheel bearings on my
Ford tractors. I need two done on one tractor for sure. Its a
recurring job, probably paid to have this done ten times over the
years.

I'm sure it is more work than you care to do... Take a look at the
manual, pdf file for either of these (same manual). The parts diagram
shows what appears to be a hydraulic jack with the outside barrel
threaded. The ram is what pushes on the end of a shaft. The pulling
spider threads onto the outside barrel of the "jack". Kind of
interesting to see how it is made/works.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b