Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Ping Karl T. -Hydraulic Gear Puller

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 13:26:04 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 12/1/2011 6:44 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

... The local dealer charges $250 to pull rear wheel bearings on my
Ford tractors. I need two done on one tractor for sure. Its a
recurring job, probably paid to have this done ten times over the
years.

????

Why? What kind/size of tractor? This is incredible unless they're
antiques but then wouldn't think get that kind of hours...

This is a weak point on my Ford tractors, I have an 8N, an NAA, a 2000
three cylinder, and a 3600 three cylinder. After a few years of hard
use the rear seal leaks oil onto the brakes and you got no brakes. The
bearing isn't shot, but it is loose letting the wheel rock a bit
sideways. Its a very slow leak, just enough to oil the brakes after
about 100 hours or so. I pull the brakes apart once a year and
pressure wash when it first starts, then bite the bullet and spend the
$500 to have the bearing pressed off and replaced when it gets worse.

NOTE:These tractors get rode hard and put away wet. Hobby use won't do
this.

Karl