Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ping: Karl Townsend - .308

Well?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Karl Townsend - .308

Well?

I got the reloader as ready to go as i could yesterday. With no powder that
is. "The Kid" found me a pound of AA2520. I stopped by his job for the first
time today and saw where he works - got the 25 cent tour. Turkey day
tommorrow no reload, black friday day next - no reload. Maybe I'll make a
few rounds Saturday and start trials with powder amounts.

Being the anal engineer type, and afraid a **** up can have dire
consequences, I'm moving real slow. If i paid myself for reloading, the cost
would be about $10 a round.

Say, I promised "the kid" I'd load some 9MM. He got brass, primers, and
powder locally. Couldn't find a fair price on bullets. A quick look at
wideners showed they were out of stock on most 9MM with the exception of
large lots. Where do you go for 9MM?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Well?

I got the reloader as ready to go as i could yesterday. With no powder that
is. "The Kid" found me a pound of AA2520. I stopped by his job for the first
time today and saw where he works - got the 25 cent tour. Turkey day
tommorrow no reload, black friday day next - no reload. Maybe I'll make a
few rounds Saturday and start trials with powder amounts.

Being the anal engineer type, and afraid a **** up can have dire
consequences, I'm moving real slow. If i paid myself for reloading, the cost
would be about $10 a round.

I was pretty careful when I started reloading. 7mm Rem Mag is plenty
potent, so I didn't want any overloads there. I loaded the primers into
the feed tube a bit gingerly the first time too. Once setup for the
first couple dozen rounds I pulled them off the press after the powder
station and weighed each charge to check consistency before putting them
back in line and completing them. I haven't done a huge amount of
reloading, but so far no problems.

Say, I promised "the kid" I'd load some 9MM. He got brass, primers, and
powder locally. Couldn't find a fair price on bullets. A quick look at
wideners showed they were out of stock on most 9MM with the exception of
large lots. Where do you go for 9MM?

I don't know about where you are, but here in N. TX the ammo
availability seems to be improving a little bit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 20:43:55 -0600, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Well?

I got the reloader as ready to go as i could yesterday. With no powder that
is. "The Kid" found me a pound of AA2520. I stopped by his job for the first
time today and saw where he works - got the 25 cent tour. Turkey day
tommorrow no reload, black friday day next - no reload. Maybe I'll make a
few rounds Saturday and start trials with powder amounts.

Being the anal engineer type, and afraid a **** up can have dire
consequences, I'm moving real slow. If i paid myself for reloading, the cost
would be about $10 a round.

Say, I promised "the kid" I'd load some 9MM. He got brass, primers, and
powder locally. Couldn't find a fair price on bullets. A quick look at
wideners showed they were out of stock on most 9MM with the exception of
large lots. Where do you go for 9MM?

Karl

Bingo! Now you understand why I was talking about bullet moulds...no?

The jacketed bullet supply will start clearing up in about 4-5 months.

Same time as the primer supply.

You can buy bullets on the web of course. But price carefully

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Well?

I got the reloader as ready to go as i could yesterday. With no powder that
is. "The Kid" found me a pound of AA2520. I stopped by his job for the first
time today and saw where he works - got the 25 cent tour. Turkey day
tommorrow no reload, black friday day next - no reload. Maybe I'll make a
few rounds Saturday and start trials with powder amounts.

Being the anal engineer type, and afraid a **** up can have dire
consequences, I'm moving real slow. If i paid myself for reloading, the cost
would be about $10 a round.

Say, I promised "the kid" I'd load some 9MM. He got brass, primers, and
powder locally. Couldn't find a fair price on bullets. A quick look at
wideners showed they were out of stock on most 9MM with the exception of
large lots. Where do you go for 9MM?

Karl

I get my 9mm plated bullets from Berry.
http://www.berrysmfg.com/products.aspx?c=11

Also, check Ranier bullets at MidwayUSA.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...ber=1050111171

Looks like they have boxes of 100 and 1000 in stock and they ship
quickly. Bullets usually come flat rate priority mail. Berry doesn't
charge shipping on orders over $50, but your order may come in four
days or four weeks.

500 or 1000 is not a "large lot" of handgun bullets. It's not unusual
to go thru 100 rounds in an hour of shooting.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 20:31:15 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

The jacketed bullet supply will start clearing up in about 4-5 months.

My last order of 1000 from Berry arrived a couple of weeks ago in
something like 6 days ARO. That's unusual, but it happened.

Berry's are plated rather than FMJ but they seem to shoot about the
same as WWB FMJ factory ammo with 6.8 grains of HS-6. (115 gn RN
9mmp). The plating is about the same thickness as the copper on a FMJ
bullet -- I sliced a couple of bullets in half and measured the copper
on each.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Being the anal engineer type, and afraid a **** up can have dire
consequences, I'm moving real slow. If i paid myself for reloading, the cost
would be about $10 a round.

It's definitely good to go slowly and feel your way at first. After
you've loaded a few hundred rounds you'll find that you can crank 'em
out like jellybeans with that Dillon.

Where did the kid find the 2520 locally, pray tell?

I've asked my good neighbor to grab me a pound of IMR3031 if he can
while he's visiting rellies for TG in Council Bluffs. He's had good
luck at the Bass Pro and Gander Mountain there. I'm taking care of
their dog while they're gone and I think Mary's doing some sewing on
their kitchen curtains.

When you have bullets, be sure to seat and crimp a dummy round and
check COL (cartridge overall length). A small difference in that can
make a significant difference in pressure in 9mmp. When making ammo,
spot check your product for COL. I make mine about 1.156 because
that's what WWB (Winchester White Box) factory ammo is, a bit shorter
than SAAMI max spec. I don't have a Glock 9mm but I have a friend
who does and he likes my recipe. Zero feed problems. Glocks are not
fussy feeders. Both of my nines like it too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
Well?

I got the reloader as ready to go as i could yesterday. With no powder
that is. "The Kid" found me a pound of AA2520. I stopped by his job for
the first time today and saw where he works - got the 25 cent tour. Turkey
day tommorrow no reload, black friday day next - no reload. Maybe I'll
make a few rounds Saturday and start trials with powder amounts.

Being the anal engineer type, and afraid a **** up can have dire
consequences, I'm moving real slow. If i paid myself for reloading, the
cost would be about $10 a round.

Say, I promised "the kid" I'd load some 9MM. He got brass, primers, and
powder locally. Couldn't find a fair price on bullets. A quick look at
wideners showed they were out of stock on most 9MM with the exception of
large lots. Where do you go for 9MM?

Karl

Here's the mold I bought:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=340779
I haven't cast any yet and probably wont get to them for a few weeks. .38
then .45 in the casting order, I still have several hundred rounds of 9mm in
stock. I'll send you some to try when I cast them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the tips on where to get bullets. I see "the Kid" was playing his
usual game. He knows dad will buy them. I'll order a box of 1000. AA2520 is
available at Cabellas in Rogers(??). He got 9MM bullets and primers there
the for the same price as completed ammo. "The Kid" only bought 100 -
thinks dad will pop for 1000. I think I'll play his game too - order the
bullets and make 100 then tell him I'm shut down for stock out on primers.

I'm not there yet, but it looks like I flair brass in the powder station on
pistol but not on rifle. Correct??? How much is enough flair? For that
matter, in the last station where the bullet is crimped in how much is
enough crimp on both rifle and pistol. Measuring here or just looking for
marks from the crimp die?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The jacketed bullet supply will start clearing up in about 4-5 months.

My last order of 1000 from Berry arrived a couple of weeks ago in
something like 6 days ARO. That's unusual, but it happened.

Berry's are plated rather than FMJ but they seem to shoot about the
same as WWB FMJ factory ammo with 6.8 grains of HS-6. (115 gn RN
9mmp). The plating is about the same thickness as the copper on a FMJ
bullet -- I sliced a couple of bullets in half and measured the copper
on each.

They are indeed good bullets. But...they are damned near the same price
as jacketed slugs....cringe.

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I was given a few thousand of these

http://www.berrysmfg.com/product.asp...&pp=8&sb=0&p=0

And they are very good bullets indeed. But Im not sure Id ever buy
em....they are pretty damned near the same price I can get jacketed
slugs.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Glocks arent supposed to use anything other than jacketed bullets either

VBG

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 01:47:13 -0500, "Buerste"
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
tanews.com...
[...]

Thats a good design.

Personally..Im not a fan of "tumble lube" bullets...shrug..but it seems
to work well enough for most folks. And it can be MUCH faster than
lubrisizing them.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 05:38:11 -0600, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Pistol cases need just a tiny tiny bit of opening (belling) the case
mouths..you want to bell them as little as you can and still get a
bullet started without tearing or crumpling a case when you put the
bullet in. And you crimp as little as possible as well most of the
time.. Brass of course hardenes when its worked so after a while...you
may start getting cracks in your mouths if they are worked too much.
Its hard to simply say how much bell you need..but try to find a happy
medium where the bullet will stand in the mouth..barely. Crimping is
often unecessary if using jacketed bullets or copper clad..but you need
to get rid of that bell you put in in the previous step. Revolvers tend
to need a smidge more crimp..if the cartridge recoils a lot..in the
magnums for example...and generally with cast bullets. "Taper crimp" is
good for most self loaders..Lee makes good dies for taper crimping and
as far as I know..most self loader dies from Lee use a taper crimp mode.

Rifles when shot with cast bullets may or may not need a crimp as
well...if carried all day with a loaded STACK magazine and fired a
lot..but its rare to find a slug moving in the case mouth.
Tubular magazines may indeed require a crimp..but crimp as little as
possible. Ive several Marlin..and when loading 44 Mag for an 1894...I
will indeed put a slight crimp in the mouths, generally in the first
crimp groove...but this is also dependant on the bullet style. Some
bullets have a crimp groove cast into them.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata.../bullmol2.html

If you scroll down to the 44 Mag section (for example)..you will note
that the very top groove, closest to the bullet nose is much smaller
than the rest of the lube grooves..and thats where you crimp. If you
look at the self loader bullets, such as the 9mms/45 ACP..you will note
that nearly none of them have such crimp grooves.

And of course...most of the rifle bullets use a crimp groove as well..if
you scroll down a bit farther into the rifle slugs. But its not a
requirement. Most times..when Im out in the field..I have one in the
mag, one in the chamber. Shrug. On the rare chance I miss or score a
poor hit with the first one...the second one takes care of business.

Shrug

How and what to do....some info below.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/adjust_reloading_dies.htm
http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/bul..._crimping.html
http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/...ic.php?t=53790
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=381948

Lots more info on the net..google is your friend

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

I'm not there yet, but it looks like I flair brass in the powder
station on pistol but not on rifle. Correct??? How much is enough
flair? For that matter, in the last station where the bullet is
crimped in how much is enough crimp on both rifle and pistol.
Measuring here or just looking for marks from the crimp die?

Karl

I bell the mouth just enough to start the bullet - my dies flare them at the
decapping stage . Be careful about crimping on pistol cartridges that
headspace on the case mouth - .45 ACP , 9mm , etc . You also need to watch
case length on those cartridges . I DO crimp cases that space on the rim ,
..357 & .44 mag , etc . Heavy recoiling loads can cause bullet creep , lock
up the cylinder on revolvers .
I seldom crimp rifle cases , but then I don't load for anything that has a
tubular magazine .
--
Snag
45 years reloading w/o an overload ...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

snip
Thats a good design.

Personally..Im not a fan of "tumble lube" bullets...shrug..but it seems
to work well enough for most folks. And it can be MUCH faster than
lubrisizing them.

Gunner

But have you tried them? All of your molds are designed to cast boolits
that have to be sized. The Lee molds are designed with microbands designed
to be tumble lubed. It's a whole different technology. If you had to size
them it would be senseless not to lube them at that time. I took the three
6-banger Lee molds to work and put then under the video microscope then
carefully deburred the cavities and vent lines. I'm not casting in quantity
yet because the garage is still full of stuff from the move. (I DO MEAN
FULL!!!) But I tested the molds after a spray of mold release and all three
turned out perfect boolits that were bang-on dimension...NO sizing needed!
I've only got 22 pounds of ingots from wheel weights, I figure I need at
least another 20 to have a real casting session..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 08:18:13 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

[...]

Yah..Ive tried em. They work "ok" for most applications.

They dont work worth a **** in a Marlin with Microgroove rifling. Shrug

As for bore diameter...chuckle..ever slug your rifle barrels and pistol
forcing cones? You will be AMAZED at the differences. Ive got .30 cals
that run from .303-314....and Im NOT talking about Brit Enfields....G

Im currently looking for a .41 Mag mould that will dump a bullet at
least .412. Smith tends to have a larger than normal forcing cone and
they shoot best with a slightly larger bullet.

Im getting "old fashioned" in my advancing years.

Its even getting hard to find parts for my Model T.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

You could hone the cavities to .412 with a bit of clover

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 22:18:06 -0500, "Buerste"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 08:18:13 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
om
[...]

Indeed..and thats what I may have to do. In the past..Ive opened .308
moulds up to .314 for the Brits..but much more than that and its
possible to get a out of round bullet..and even then one has to be
damned careful