Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Ping Karl T. -Hydraulic Gear Puller

On 12/1/2011 6:44 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

... The local dealer charges $250 to pull rear wheel bearings on my
Ford tractors. I need two done on one tractor for sure. Its a
recurring job, probably paid to have this done ten times over the
years.

????

Why? What kind/size of tractor? This is incredible unless they're
antiques but then wouldn't think get that kind of hours...

Have multiple tractors from 30hp to 250hp (drawbar) of up to 30 yr old
and 10000+ field hours and never replaced a rear wheel bearing.

The old Farmalls (early/mid-60s 450/460/560, etc.) were notorious for
rear ends but that wasn't the wheel bearings but torque converters
weren't stout enough). Some later red Case-IH have had similar problems
but I can't recall hearing of anybody having rear axle bearing problems
repetitively.

Time to go green.

I'm really curious what these are and how they're used/why there's an
apparent weak point...will admit the only Ford tractor have ever been
around was a neighbor had an 8N when I was a kid used around the house
that was kinda' cute and handy. We had an old Cat 22 (22 drawbar hp)
that had a retrofit scoop on it that we used in those days until got the
Allis D17 which was also a fairly low-center straddle tranny design
similar to the Ford and was a nice small loader tractor. Would like to
have one of them again as nostalgia/collector item altho the height w/
current trucks and would make it almost useless for actual work; it just
doesn't have the lift. The JD 4440 w/ the 148 loader will barely reach
second level large bales on hay hauler; the 158 loader has about another
6-8" reach that is more than handy but so far haven't found one was will
to pay the difference for to swap it out...