Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Solder question

I'm making a wort chiller. That's just a spiral of copper tubing to cool
boiling hot beer brew to put into the fermenter. I need to join the ends,
and in the configuration it's in, it would be easier to use a sweat fitting
than a compression. Is there any problem with that small amount of solder
regarding lead?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/7/2011 11:36 PM, Steve B wrote:
I'm making a wort chiller. That's just a spiral of copper tubing to cool
boiling hot beer brew to put into the fermenter. I need to join the ends,
and in the configuration it's in, it would be easier to use a sweat fitting
than a compression. Is there any problem with that small amount of solder
regarding lead?

Steve

There are billions of leaded solder joints on potable supply lines in
the world. But...my blood/lead level is high, maybe I'm dismissive.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/7/2011 8:36 PM, Steve B wrote:
I'm making a wort chiller. That's just a spiral of copper tubing to cool
boiling hot beer brew to put into the fermenter. I need to join the ends,
and in the configuration it's in, it would be easier to use a sweat fitting
than a compression. Is there any problem with that small amount of solder
regarding lead?

Steve

if it worries you, use silver solder or use the no-lead solder now sold
for plumbing
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 20:36:21 -0700, Steve B wrote:

I'm making a wort chiller. That's just a spiral of copper tubing to
cool boiling hot beer brew to put into the fermenter. I need to join
the ends, and in the configuration it's in, it would be easier to use a
sweat fitting than a compression. Is there any problem with that small
amount of solder regarding lead?

I believe that if you use Plumber's solder (50-50) you're supposed to be
OK -- but then, the rules have been a-changing, and wort is going to be
more acidic than water.

What happens when you Google "food safe solder" or "potable solder"?

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 7, 10:36*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I'm making a wort chiller. *That's just a spiral of copper tubing to cool
boiling hot beer brew to put into the fermenter. *I need to join the ends,
and in the configuration it's in, it would be easier to use a sweat fitting
than a compression. *Is there any problem with that small amount of solder
regarding lead?

Steve

The last time I bought solder from a home store, it was lead free,
this was over 20 years ago.
I don't think you can get leaded solder unless it's for electronic
use. Even that has gone to RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances)
in electronic manufacture to non lead as pure tin.
Ignator

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

I'm making a wort chiller. That's just a spiral of copper tubing to cool
boiling hot beer brew to put into the fermenter. I need to join the ends,
and in the configuration it's in, it would be easier to use a sweat fitting
than a compression. Is there any problem with that small amount of solder
regarding lead?

Use lead-free silver-tin solder:

http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixC.html

http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixB-2.html

The google search string that yielded the above was "wort copper solder".

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
I'm making a wort chiller. That's just a spiral of copper tubing to cool
boiling hot beer brew to put into the fermenter. I need to join the ends,
and in the configuration it's in, it would be easier to use a sweat fitting
than a compression. Is there any problem with that small amount of solder
regarding lead?

Steve

Just use lead free solder, lot's of it out there.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 08-Oct-2011 10:14, Steve W. wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I'm making a wort chiller. That's just a spiral of copper tubing to
cool boiling hot beer brew to put into the fermenter. I need to join
the ends, and in the configuration it's in, it would be easier to use
a sweat fitting than a compression. Is there any problem with that
small amount of solder regarding lead?

Steve

Just use lead free solder, lot's of it out there.

In fact if you go looking, that is virtually all you will find.

The only applications for 60/40 or 50/50 in plumbing any more is
for drains, and copper and wiped lead and such are rarely being
repaired, just ripped out and replaced with plastic.

Gardner Buchanan gbuchana(a)teksavvy(dot)com
FreeBSD: Where you want to go. Today.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 20:36:21 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I'm making a wort chiller. That's just a spiral of copper tubing to cool
boiling hot beer brew to put into the fermenter. I need to join the ends,
and in the configuration it's in, it would be easier to use a sweat fitting
than a compression. Is there any problem with that small amount of solder
regarding lead?

Yes, there would be a problem with food contact, since it's too easy
to over do it and have big drips and runs of solder on the inside you
can't see - but that's okay, when you go looking for plumbing solder
it's ALL going to be lead-free now by law, mostly Tin with a little
Silver alloyed in.

Even electronics is being forced to get rid of the lead. They're
going to get burned with $1 Billion satellites dying and falling from
the sky due to Tin Whiskers causing shorts on circuit boards, but the
few Rocket Scientists can't out-shout the many Enviro-Nuts.

There is also Silver-Braze if you need to stay away from Tin too -
that's mostly Copper and Silver. You need a little more heat, but
MAPP and Air-Acetylene will get there for smaller sizes.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The problem is the heat increases the amount of lead dissolving in the
brew. I remember as a kid in the early 50's my father explicitly
telling me do not use the hot tap water for anything you eat or drink.

John

Steve B wrote:
I'm making a wort chiller. That's just a spiral of copper tubing to cool
boiling hot beer brew to put into the fermenter. I need to join the ends,
and in the configuration it's in, it would be easier to use a sweat fitting
than a compression. Is there any problem with that small amount of solder
regarding lead?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Aerospace, military and medical applications are exempt from ROHS
lead free solder. They know that it's worthless ****, and that it will
kill people in mission critical applications. It was the idea of idiot
bureaucrats in Brussels with no science to back it up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

john wrote:

The problem is the heat increases the amount of lead dissolving in the
brew. I remember as a kid in the early 50's my father explicitly
telling me do not use the hot tap water for anything you eat or drink.

Was the water distilled or acidic? If not, the minerals in the water
build up a layer over the walls of the pipe that covered the solder and
the copper. If it didn't, the water would dissolve not only the lead,
but the copper pipe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 17:54:58 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Even electronics is being forced to get rid of the lead. They're
going to get burned with $1 Billion satellites dying and falling from
the sky due to Tin Whiskers causing shorts on circuit boards, but the
few Rocket Scientists can't out-shout the many Enviro-Nuts.

Aerospace, military and medical applications are exempt from ROHS
lead free solder. They know that it's worthless ****, and that it will
kill people in mission critical applications. It was the idea of idiot
bureaucrats in Brussels with no science to back it up.

Thank Lord for that. That lead-free stuff just does not flow nearly as
well.

OTOH maybe I shall start hoarding just in case.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Solder question Willie The Wimp Home Repair 16 December 18th 10 12:09 AM
Solder pot Matty F UK diy 16 March 2nd 10 09:31 PM
Solder Brian Gregory [UK] Electronics 14 September 2nd 08 02:13 AM
why 60-40 solder? [email protected] Electronics Repair 73 February 21st 08 08:06 PM
newbie solder question Dave Electronics Repair 27 February 15th 06 09:00 PM