Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gardner Gardner is offline

Default Solder question

On 08-Oct-2011 10:14, Steve W. wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I'm making a wort chiller. That's just a spiral of copper tubing to
cool boiling hot beer brew to put into the fermenter. I need to join
the ends, and in the configuration it's in, it would be easier to use
a sweat fitting than a compression. Is there any problem with that
small amount of solder regarding lead?

Steve

Just use lead free solder, lot's of it out there.

In fact if you go looking, that is virtually all you will find.

The only applications for 60/40 or 50/50 in plumbing any more is
for drains, and copper and wiped lead and such are rarely being
repaired, just ripped out and replaced with plastic.

Gardner Buchanan gbuchana(a)teksavvy(dot)com
FreeBSD: Where you want to go. Today.