Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Solder question

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 20:36:21 -0700, Steve B wrote:

I'm making a wort chiller. That's just a spiral of copper tubing to
cool boiling hot beer brew to put into the fermenter. I need to join
the ends, and in the configuration it's in, it would be easier to use a
sweat fitting than a compression. Is there any problem with that small
amount of solder regarding lead?

I believe that if you use Plumber's solder (50-50) you're supposed to be
OK -- but then, the rules have been a-changing, and wort is going to be
more acidic than water.

What happens when you Google "food safe solder" or "potable solder"?

--
www.wescottdesign.com