Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solder pot

I have a lot of brass terminals (up to 100mm long) that have to be
soldered to 3mm solid copper wire. I have a solder pot 30mm wide that
has to be heated by a gas torch.
I'd like to heat the pot with some kind of small element, but a stove
element is rather large. Any ideas on what I could use instead?
I don't think I can get a commercial solder pot around here. I need it
by tomorrow!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2010 22:51, Matty F wrote:
I have a lot of brass terminals (up to 100mm long) that have to be
soldered to 3mm solid copper wire. I have a solder pot 30mm wide that
has to be heated by a gas torch.
I'd like to heat the pot with some kind of small element, but a stove
element is rather large. Any ideas on what I could use instead?
I don't think I can get a commercial solder pot around here. I need it
by tomorrow!

Get the pot within the jaws of a antex pipemaster type thing?

or

http://hackaday.com/2009/06/26/home-made-solder-pot/

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 1, 12:00 pm, Adrian C wrote:
On 28/02/2010 22:51, Matty F wrote:

I have a lot of brass terminals (up to 100mm long) that have to be
soldered to 3mm solid copper wire. I have a solder pot 30mm wide that
has to be heated by a gas torch.
I'd like to heat the pot with some kind of small element, but a stove
element is rather large. Any ideas on what I could use instead?
I don't think I can get a commercial solder pot around here. I need it
by tomorrow!

Get the pot within the jaws of a antex pipemaster type thing?

or

http://hackaday.com/2009/06/26/home-made-solder-pot/

That looks horrible! It needs to be like that but safer.

Here are some of the terminals:
http://i50.tinypic.com/34o3lfk.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 28, 10:51*pm, Matty F wrote:
I have a lot of brass terminals (up to 100mm long) that have to be
soldered to 3mm solid copper wire. I have a solder pot 30mm wide that
has to be heated by a gas torch.
I'd like to heat the pot with some kind of small element, but a stove
element is rather large. Any ideas on what I could use instead?
I don't think I can get a commercial solder pot around here. I need it
by tomorrow!

resistance wire, with a layer of eg glass fibre both sides, and a low
v psu. I forget what wattage is needed for a 3" pot, somewhere in the
40-100w region. I doubt you'd get that set up by tomrrow though, at
that level of rush all I could suggest is to put some EML on a gas hob
and sit the solder pot on it, and set it as low as it can go.

Solder pots are a serious danger if not totally stable, molten toxic
metal can cause horrendous burns. I'm always wary of them unless
theyre bolted down.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message

That looks horrible! It needs to be like that but safer.

Can't you just heat it from a 100-500w lamp and use a dimmer to control it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

natty F wrote:
I have a lot of brass terminals (up to 100mm long) that have to be
soldered to 3mm solid copper wire. I have a solder pot 30mm wide that
has to be heated by a gas torch.
I'd like to heat the pot with some kind of small element, but a stove
element is rather large. Any ideas on what I could use instead?
I don't think I can get a commercial solder pot around here. I need it
by tomorrow!

Hi,
Try here
http://www.rapidonline.com/searchres...&kw=solder+pot and
you will get it by Tuesday. For that kind of work you might be able to
use
http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fas...74034/kw/wsp80

There is a nice wide chisel tip, was able to solder 4mm2 wire to 2" wide
brass shim tape.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 1, 1:17 pm, James Salisbury nntp.dsl.pipex.com wrote:
natty F wrote:
I have a lot of brass terminals (up to 100mm long) that have to be
soldered to 3mm solid copper wire. I have a solder pot 30mm wide that
has to be heated by a gas torch.
I'd like to heat the pot with some kind of small element, but a stove
element is rather large. Any ideas on what I could use instead?
I don't think I can get a commercial solder pot around here. I need it
by tomorrow!

Hi,
Try herehttp://www.rapidonline.com/searchresults.aspx?style=0&kw=solder+potand
you will get it by Tuesday. For that kind of work you might be able to
usehttp://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fasteners-Production-Equipment/Solde...

There is a nice wide chisel tip, was able to solder 4mm2 wire to 2" wide
brass shim tape.

I'm in New Zealand and it's Monday afternnon already!
I have a good large soldering iron that can tin the wire. I just want
to tin the terminals.
I have a solid electric element with a Simmerstat.
Perhaps the solder pot can be attached to a block of copper surrounded
by a conical shield that goes to the edge of the element.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 16:29:33 -0800 (PST), Matty F
wrote:

I'm in New Zealand and it's Monday afternoon already!

New Zealand? ...Now you tell us !!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Usenet Nutter
writes
wrote:

I'm in New Zealand and it's Monday afternoon already!

New Zealand? ...Now you tell us !!!

Matty F

The "nz" was a bit of a clue.......................
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Feb, 22:51, Matty F wrote:

I'd like to heat the pot with some kind of small element, but a stove
element is rather large. Any ideas on what I could use instead?

BTDT

Big soldering iron (stained glass, 100W or so), spare bit (copper rod)
for it, 22mm copper pipe end cap and a spot of silver solder to join
them. Place in iron stand, fill end cap with solder. Dip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm in New Zealand and it's Monday afternoon already!

New Zealand? ...Now you tell us !!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 00:51:04 +0000, Bill
wrote:

In message , Usenet Nutter
writes
wrote:

I'm in New Zealand and it's Monday afternoon already!

New Zealand? ...Now you tell us !!!

Matty F

The "nz" was a bit of a clue.......................

If you read such parts of messages as a routine .I certainly don't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2010 22:51, Matty F wrote:
I have a lot of brass terminals (up to 100mm long) that have to be
soldered to 3mm solid copper wire. I have a solder pot 30mm wide that
has to be heated by a gas torch.
I'd like to heat the pot with some kind of small element, but a stove
element is rather large. Any ideas on what I could use instead?
I don't think I can get a commercial solder pot around here. I need it
by tomorrow!

If pushed for time, I would get a billet of solder and a coarse file.

Put the solder into a vice and a clean piece of paper underneath.

File the solder to make a pile of solder filings.

Mix the solder filings with flux.

Thoroughly clean the terminals (finishing with IPA or acetone to get rid
of grease)

'Paint' the terminals with the solder filings/flux.

Use a blowtorch to melt the solder.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Osborne wrote:
On 28/02/2010 22:51, Matty F wrote:
I have a lot of brass terminals (up to 100mm long) that have to be
soldered to 3mm solid copper wire. I have a solder pot 30mm wide that
has to be heated by a gas torch.
I'd like to heat the pot with some kind of small element, but a stove
element is rather large. Any ideas on what I could use instead?
I don't think I can get a commercial solder pot around here. I need it
by tomorrow!

If pushed for time, I would get a billet of solder and a coarse file.

Put the solder into a vice and a clean piece of paper underneath.

File the solder to make a pile of solder filings.

Mix the solder filings with flux.

Thoroughly clean the terminals (finishing with IPA or acetone to get rid
of grease)

'Paint' the terminals with the solder filings/flux.

Use a blowtorch to melt the solder.

I'd crimp them. ;-) Better and faster. If you have the correct tool.

--
*Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Adrian C formulated :
On 28/02/2010 22:51, Matty F wrote:
I have a lot of brass terminals (up to 100mm long) that have to be
soldered to 3mm solid copper wire. I have a solder pot 30mm wide that
has to be heated by a gas torch.
I'd like to heat the pot with some kind of small element, but a stove
element is rather large. Any ideas on what I could use instead?
I don't think I can get a commercial solder pot around here. I need it
by tomorrow!

Get the pot within the jaws of a antex pipemaster type thing?

or

http://hackaday.com/2009/06/26/home-made-solder-pot/

That looks very unstable and extremely dangerous to use.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 1, 2:41 pm, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 28 Feb, 22:51, Matty F wrote:

I'd like to heat the pot with some kind of small element, but a stove
element is rather large. Any ideas on what I could use instead?

BTDT

Big soldering iron (stained glass, 100W or so), spare bit (copper rod)
for it, 22mm copper pipe end cap and a spot of silver solder to join
them. Place in iron stand, fill end cap with solder. Dip.

I turned up a steel pot on the lathe and put it on a solid element
with a shield made from a large tin can:
http://i47.tinypic.com/2yyqq6w.jpg
It works perfectly!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 2, 5:26 pm, Matty F wrote:

I turned up a steel pot on the lathe and put it on a solid element
with a shield made from a large tin can:http://i47.tinypic.com/2yyqq6w.jpg
It works perfectly!

For the record, here is my solder pot sitting on the element.
It's very stable, as it needs to be:
http://i45.tinypic.com/33a9aqh.jpg

solder pot solder jasee Electronics Repair 9 August 11th 09 08:50 AM
Solder Brian Gregory [UK] Electronics 14 September 2nd 08 02:13 AM
why 60-40 solder? [email protected] Electronics Repair 73 February 21st 08 08:06 PM
Solder? Pop` Home Repair 84 December 27th 06 01:15 AM
Old Solder Phillip944 Home Repair 23 December 13th 05 03:21 PM