Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default Solder

Why don't Americans pronounce the L in SOLDER?

They say SODER which sounds almost like SOD HER.

Weird.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Posted to alt.electronics

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 22:43:29 +0100, "Brian Gregory [UK]"
wrote:

Why don't Americans pronounce the L in SOLDER?

They say SODER which sounds almost like SOD HER.

Weird.

Because the 'L' is silent? And how do you pronounce your last name?
Posted to alt.electronics

"PeterD" wrote in message
And how do you pronounce your last name?

Just sound all the letters.

Like the actor Gregory Peck.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Posted to alt.electronics

Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:
Why don't Americans pronounce the L in SOLDER?
They say SODER which sounds almost like SOD HER.
Weird.

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache...ish.Dictionary
Posted to alt.electronics

"Brian Gregory [UK]" wrote in message
Why don't Americans pronounce the L in SOLDER?

They say SODER which sounds almost like SOD HER.

Weird.

--

Yes, quite right too. And their spelling is awful. Colour for one, and
they have a thing about the letter 'z'. I had thought it was ignorance but

Posted to alt.electronics

"Brian Gregory [UK]" wrote in message
Why don't Americans pronounce the L in SOLDER?

They say SODER which sounds almost like SOD HER.

Weird.

What is weird (as just one example) is the Brit pronunciation of "Thames."
"Temz", indeed! Shame on you!

The Brits have destroyed the English language and they should be apologetic,
and certainly not aggressive about this issue! :)

Great countries divided by a common language and all of that which no longer
means much.

Posted to alt.electronics

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 19:48:35 -0400, Charles wrote:

"Brian Gregory [UK]" wrote in message
Why don't Americans pronounce the L in SOLDER?

They say SODER which sounds almost like SOD HER.

Weird.

What is weird (as just one example) is the Brit pronunciation of
"Thames." "Temz", indeed! Shame on you!

The Brits have destroyed the English language and they should be
apologetic, and certainly not aggressive about this issue! :)

Great countries divided by a common language and all of that which no
longer means much.

Although we were speaking it long before your country even *existed*. So
how are *we* destroying *our* language again?

Oh yes, 'Great' countries? Racing to the bottom, more like. Both of 'em.

Posted to alt.electronics

"PCPaul" wrote in message
om...
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 19:48:35 -0400, Charles wrote:

"Brian Gregory [UK]" wrote in message
Why don't Americans pronounce the L in SOLDER?

They say SODER which sounds almost like SOD HER.

Weird.

What is weird (as just one example) is the Brit pronunciation of
"Thames." "Temz", indeed! Shame on you!

The Brits have destroyed the English language and they should be
apologetic, and certainly not aggressive about this issue! :)

Great countries divided by a common language and all of that which no
longer means much.

Although we were speaking it long before your country even *existed*. So
how are *we* destroying *our* language again?

I was KIDDING. Check out the emoticon.

Oh yes, 'Great' countries? Racing to the bottom, more like. Both of 'em.

Seems that way.

Posted to alt.electronics

wrote:

Why don't Americans pronounce the L in SOLDER?

They say SODER which sounds almost like SOD HER.

Weird.

Because the 'L' is silent? And how do you pronounce your last name?

Thing is, it's always the yanks who think the rest of the world is out of
step !

Most of the English-speaking world says "sol-der".

geoff

Posted to alt.electronics

"Charles" wrote in message

Oh yes, 'Great' countries? Racing to the bottom, more like. Both of 'em.

Seems that way.

Unfortunately yes. You and us both.

You know, it's quite a rarity these days to encounter people who are
practical and think for themselves. No, really.

Posted to alt.electronics

"Aly" wrote in message
"Charles" wrote in message

Oh yes, 'Great' countries? Racing to the bottom, more like. Both of 'em.

Seems that way.

Unfortunately yes. You and us both.

You know, it's quite a rarity these days to encounter people who are
practical and think for themselves. No, really.

Yes, I agree. Interacting on the Internet can be very discouraging, but one
sometimes finds that other decent and analytical folk are also alive and
well.

We might be the first killed, however ;)

Posted to alt.electronics

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 18:13:38 -0400, "Charles"
wrote:

"Aly" wrote in message
"Charles" wrote in message

Oh yes, 'Great' countries? Racing to the bottom, more like. Both of 'em.

Seems that way.

Unfortunately yes. You and us both.

You know, it's quite a rarity these days to encounter people who are
practical and think for themselves. No, really.

Yes, I agree. Interacting on the Internet can be very discouraging, but one
sometimes finds that other decent and analytical folk are also alive and
well.

We might be the first killed, however ;)

---
It's not that bad yet, I think, and you both seem to be rational
entities.

May I join you in your discussion?

JF
Posted to alt.electronics

"John Fields" wrote in message

May I join you in your discussion?

Please do, but be kind ;)

Posted to alt.electronics

"Charles" wrote in message
. ..

We might be the first killed, however ;)

Oh wouldn't it be wonderful. I do hope so. ;-)

Saying that though, if the world does go thermo then we'd end up being the
ones repairing everything. Mmmmm. Nahhh, first paragraph.

Apparently we're all going to die at the hands of an artificial black hole
centred in Geneva in 7-days time.

:-)

Posted to alt.electronics

Aly wrote:
"Charles" wrote in message
. ..

We might be the first killed, however ;)

Oh wouldn't it be wonderful. I do hope so. ;-)

Saying that though, if the world does go thermo then we'd end up
being the ones repairing everything. Mmmmm. Nahhh, first paragraph.

Apparently we're all going to die at the hands of an artificial black

That's if the stay planet Niribu ( or whatever) doesn't smack into us first.
And all the other things...

geoff

why 60-40 solder? [email protected] Electronics Repair 73 February 21st 08 08:06 PM
Solder? Pop` Home Repair 84 December 27th 06 01:15 AM
Old Solder Phillip944 Home Repair 23 December 13th 05 03:21 PM
SMD Solder Sunny Electronics Repair 0 January 10th 04 04:49 AM
Solder Bryan Electronics 2 August 23rd 03 07:37 PM