Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solder?

Kind of silly I suppose, but I was just wondering:

1. Does code allow soldering for residential wiring where you live?
2. Where do you live?

Please, I'm not trying to start a debate over the science/physics/howto's of
soldering or its relative pros/cons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article CyVih.19$%M1.14@trnddc08, "Pop`" wrote:
Kind of silly I suppose, but I was just wondering:

1. Does code allow soldering for residential wiring where you live?
2. Where do you live?

The answer to question #1 depends on exactly what you mean.

The (US) National Electrical Code explicitly approves the use of solder in
splices, provided that the splice is both mechanically and electrically secure
_without_ solder.

IOW... it's ok to make a splice with solder, but it's *not* ok to make a
splice *only* with solder.

Another way to look at it is that solder is approved under the NEC for making
splices, but only in places where it isn't needed. g

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree with Doug. Crimp first, then solder just to seal out the
envirnment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Another way to look at it is that solder is approved under the NEC for
making
splices, but only in places where it isn't needed. g

Interesting perspective but makes a lot of sense.

How about welding where its both mechanically and electrically secure? We
already use Cadweld for grounding and spot weld in appliances.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pop`" wrote in message
Kind of silly I suppose, but I was just wondering:

1. Does code allow soldering for residential wiring where you live?
2. Where do you live?

Please, I'm not trying to start a debate over the science/physics/howto's
of soldering or its relative pros/cons.

Solder has gone the way of the blacksmiths.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "# Fred #" wrote:

Another way to look at it is that solder is approved under the NEC for
making
splices, but only in places where it isn't needed. g

Interesting perspective but makes a lot of sense.

How about welding where its both mechanically and electrically secure? We
already use Cadweld for grounding and spot weld in appliances.

I seem to remember reading that welding was ok, but I can't find a citation in
the Code for that right now, so I may be wrong.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pop` wrote:
Kind of silly I suppose, but I was just wondering:

1. Does code allow soldering for residential wiring where you live?
2. Where do you live?

Please, I'm not trying to start a debate over the
science/physics/howto's of soldering or its relative pros/cons.

There are no "pros." Some "cons" that come to mind a

1. Skill required,
2. Extra equipment,
3. Need source of electricity,
4. Too easy to do it wrong,
5. Too easy to mistake a solder joint for a physical connection,
6. Deadly fumes,
7. Extra expense,
8. Extra labor

Heck, after looking over my list, soldering should be outlawed!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pop` spake thus:

Kind of silly I suppose, but I was just wondering:

1. Does code allow soldering for residential wiring where you live?
2. Where do you live?

Please, I'm not trying to start a debate over the science/physics/howto's of
soldering or its relative pros/cons.

Can't answer the question (a good one, by the way), but it brings up
another, even more interesting, question in my mind: assuming it is
legal (I'd suspect it is), what about insulation for the joint? Is
electrician's tape sufficient?

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Pop` wrote:
Kind of silly I suppose, but I was just wondering:

1. Does code allow soldering for residential wiring where you live?
2. Where do you live?

Please, I'm not trying to start a debate over the
science/physics/howto's of soldering or its relative pros/cons.

There are no "pros." Some "cons" that come to mind a

1. Skill required,
2. Extra equipment,
3. Need source of electricity,
4. Too easy to do it wrong,
5. Too easy to mistake a solder joint for a physical connection,
6. Deadly fumes,
7. Extra expense,
8. Extra labor

Heck, after looking over my list, soldering should be outlawed!

Actually if I wired up my own house I would not hesitate to use solder. Its
just make the connections stronger, less resistance and reliable if its done
right. Over the years I've seen mechanical joints failed much more than
mechanical joints with solder. You have solder used on copper pipes that
outlasted the pipes itself. You have silver solder on the bike joints (light
steel tube with tensile strength somewhere around 150,000psi) that would
take a fair amount of stresses. And there would not be any electricity
generated without solder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can't answer the question (a good one, by the way), but it brings up
another, even more interesting, question in my mind: assuming it is legal
(I'd suspect it is), what about insulation for the joint? Is electrician's
tape sufficient?

Don't see why not, tape is used on high voltage splices and you see a lot of
it in old houses too. BTW, the best high voltage splices are done with lead
(solder) - its a dying art form much like using lead on auto body repair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "HeyBub" wrote:

Please, I'm not trying to start a debate over the
science/physics/howto's of soldering or its relative pros/cons.

There are no "pros." Some "cons" that come to mind a

1. Skill required,
2. Extra equipment,
3. Need source of electricity,
4. Too easy to do it wrong,
5. Too easy to mistake a solder joint for a physical connection,
6. Deadly fumes,
7. Extra expense,
8. Extra labor

Heck, after looking over my list, soldering should be outlawed!

But then all of your copper plumbing would be leaking ;-)

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Pop` spake thus:

Kind of silly I suppose, but I was just wondering:

1. Does code allow soldering for residential wiring where you live?
2. Where do you live?

Please, I'm not trying to start a debate over the science/physics/howto's of
soldering or its relative pros/cons.

Can't answer the question (a good one, by the way), but it brings up
another, even more interesting, question in my mind: assuming it is
legal (I'd suspect it is), what about insulation for the joint? Is
electrician's tape sufficient?

Use several layers and keep the tape under just enough tension to
stretch and mold itself to the joint. Only things better would be
spaghetti tubing or heat shrink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
Pop` spake thus:

Kind of silly I suppose, but I was just wondering:

1. Does code allow soldering for residential wiring where you live?
2. Where do you live?

Please, I'm not trying to start a debate over the science/physics/howto's
of soldering or its relative pros/cons.

Can't answer the question (a good one, by the way), but it brings up
another, even more interesting, question in my mind: assuming it is legal
(I'd suspect it is), what about insulation for the joint? Is electrician's
tape sufficient?

Dunno what the NEC says but experience says tape is completely unacceptable.
Over time it loses it's stickiness and if it's in a box above an
incandescent light, it will get baked, becoming dry & brittle.

Skip the solder, use wire nuts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob M. spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

Pop` spake thus:

Kind of silly I suppose, but I was just wondering:

1. Does code allow soldering for residential wiring where you live?
2. Where do you live?

Please, I'm not trying to start a debate over the science/physics/howto's
of soldering or its relative pros/cons.

Can't answer the question (a good one, by the way), but it brings up
another, even more interesting, question in my mind: assuming it is legal
(I'd suspect it is), what about insulation for the joint? Is electrician's
tape sufficient?

Dunno what the NEC says but experience says tape is completely unacceptable.
Over time it loses it's stickiness and if it's in a box above an
incandescent light, it will get baked, becoming dry & brittle.

OK, then how about cloth electrician's tape? That's what they used way
back when, when soldering was the way it was done. I've seen some
tape-wrapped joints that were intact to about this day.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

FWIW, my parents house (built in 1957, we bought it in 1961) has
soldered connections wrapped with the old friction tape they used back
then, and haven't had the least problem with any of them. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

Dunno what the NEC says but experience says tape is completely
unacceptable. Over time it loses it's stickiness and if it's in a box
above an incandescent light, it will get baked, becoming dry & brittle.

OK, then how about cloth electrician's tape? That's what they used way
back when, when soldering was the way it was done. I've seen some
tape-wrapped joints that were intact to about this day.

Same answer. Stay with wire nuts.

My 50-year-old house has soldered/taped joints and as I come across them, I
peel the tape off and put a wire nut on it. If I'm wiring up something,
I'll break the solder joint, add the new wire and wire nut them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob M. wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

Dunno what the NEC says but experience says tape is completely
unacceptable. Over time it loses it's stickiness and if it's in a box
above an incandescent light, it will get baked, becoming dry & brittle.

OK, then how about cloth electrician's tape? That's what they used way
back when, when soldering was the way it was done. I've seen some
tape-wrapped joints that were intact to about this day.

Same answer. Stay with wire nuts.

My 50-year-old house has soldered/taped joints and as I come across them, I
peel the tape off and put a wire nut on it. If I'm wiring up something,
I'll break the solder joint, add the new wire and wire nut them.

Do you tape the wire nuts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 18:34:10 GMT, "Pop`"
wrote:

Kind of silly I suppose, but I was just wondering:

1. Does code allow soldering for residential wiring where you live?
2. Where do you live?

Please, I'm not trying to start a debate over the science/physics/howto's of
soldering or its relative pros/cons.

Why would you want to?
Too much work when a wirenut works fine. And you'd need about 500 to
1000 watts of soldering iron to solder a bundle of 4 or 5 #12 wires.
By the time you do it, you'd probably melt the insulation back about 6
inches and would have to tape all of that. The old cloth covered K&T
wires were intended to handle the heat of soldering. New plastic
coated wires will melt the coating.
Posted to alt.home.repair

# Fred # wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Pop` wrote:
Kind of silly I suppose, but I was just wondering:

1. Does code allow soldering for residential wiring where you live?
2. Where do you live?

Please, I'm not trying to start a debate over the
science/physics/howto's of soldering or its relative pros/cons.

There are no "pros." Some "cons" that come to mind a

1. Skill required,
2. Extra equipment,
3. Need source of electricity,
4. Too easy to do it wrong,
5. Too easy to mistake a solder joint for a physical connection,
6. Deadly fumes,
7. Extra expense,
8. Extra labor

Heck, after looking over my list, soldering should be outlawed!

Actually if I wired up my own house I would not hesitate to use
solder. Its just make the connections stronger, less resistance and
reliable if its done right.

"If it's done right." It is easy to mistake a solder-only joint for a
physical joint that's soldered. Lay one wire atop another and join with
solder. Electrical connectivity is great, but the joint has no stuctural
strength. As to resistance and reliability, when both are done right, there
is no difference between a solder joint and a wire-nut joint.

Those two being equal, the choice comes down to other factors: Ease of
"doing it right," expense, tools, power, noxious fumes, equipment,
experience, time and labor, etc.

Over the years I've seen mechanical
joints failed much more than mechanical joints with solder. You have
solder used on copper pipes that outlasted the pipes itself. You have
silver solder on the bike joints (light steel tube with tensile
strength somewhere around 150,000psi) that would take a fair amount
of stresses. And there would not be any electricity generated without
solder.

Granted, soldering copper pipes works well (it has to). But why are copper
pipes being replaced (union rules permitting) with plastic? And racing bikes
cost 100 times more than a Schwinn, perhaps because of the soldering?

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Pop` spake thus:

Kind of silly I suppose, but I was just wondering:

1. Does code allow soldering for residential wiring where you live?
2. Where do you live?

Please, I'm not trying to start a debate over the
science/physics/howto's of soldering or its relative pros/cons.

Can't answer the question (a good one, by the way), but it brings up
another, even more interesting, question in my mind: assuming it is
legal (I'd suspect it is), what about insulation for the joint? Is
electrician's tape sufficient?

Yes, in some locales, assuming it has the proper markings and approvals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
# Fred # wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Pop` wrote:
Kind of silly I suppose, but I was just wondering:

1. Does code allow soldering for residential wiring where you live?
2. Where do you live?

Please, I'm not trying to start a debate over the
science/physics/howto's of soldering or its relative pros/cons.

Actually if I wired up my own house I would not hesitate to use
solder. Its just make the connections stronger, less resistance and
reliable if its done right.

"If it's done right." It is easy to mistake a solder-only joint for a
physical joint that's soldered.

Completely erroneous. If "it's done right" the wiring positions and forms
are clearly visible and easily distinguished.

Lay one wire atop another and join
with solder. Electrical connectivity is great, but the joint has no
stuctural strength.

No, actually it does have a fair structural strength. It's flexing and the
memory properties of solder that make it require the use of a physical
connection also.

As to resistance and reliability, when both are
done right, there is no difference between a solder joint and a
wire-nut joint.

Wrong again.

Those two being equal, the choice comes down to other factors: Ease of
"doing it right," expense, tools, power, noxious fumes, equipment,
experience, time and labor, etc.

Especially time and expense. ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "HeyBub" wrote:
But why are copper pipes being replaced (union rules permitting) with
plastic?

Ten reasons.

1. Cost
2. Cost
3. Cost
4. Cost
5. Cost
6. Cost
7. Cost
8. Cost
9. Cost
10. Cost

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message
In article , "HeyBub"
wrote:
But why are copper pipes being replaced (union rules permitting) with
plastic?

Ten reasons.

1. Cost
2. Cost
3. Cost
4. Cost
5. Cost
6. Cost
7. Cost
8. Cost
9. Cost
10. Cost

Especially now that the price of copper has gone out the roof. Also plastic
can be installed much quicker than rigid copper pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "Father Haskell" wrote:

wrote:

Why would you want to?

Better contact and less electrical resistance.

Can you explain how solder between two copper wires provides a lower
resistance connection than direct contact between the wires?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

wrote:

Why would you want to?

Better contact and less electrical resistance.

Can you explain how solder between two copper wires provides a lower
resistance connection than direct contact between the wires?

More surface contact? Electrons tend to flow on the surface of a wire
more so than in the center for some reason or another.

I always thought the reason for not soldering was after-the-fact heat.
Depending on the lead/tin ratio of the solder, it can have different
melting points. If a soldered wire heats due to a heavy load, it may
be hot enough to break the solder joint if the solder used had a low
melting point. Just what I was taught.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"lp13-30" wrote in message
FWIW, my parents house (built in 1957, we bought it in 1961) has
soldered connections wrapped with the old friction tape they used back
then, and haven't had the least problem with any of them. Larry

It's been a LONG time but my understanding was when solder was used to join
power wiring, a RUBBER tape was put over all the bare copper to insulate.
The rubber tape used didn't stick all that well. "Friction" tape (cloth
with "tar") was put on top of the rubber to hold it in place and to protect
it from FRICTION.

The idea was to duplicate the way the original wiring as insulated which was
rubber next to the conductor and cloth to protect the rubber.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Gilmer wrote:

"lp13-30" wrote in message

FWIW, my parents house (built in 1957, we bought it in 1961) has
soldered connections wrapped with the old friction tape they used back
then, and haven't had the least problem with any of them. Larry

It's been a LONG time but my understanding was when solder was used to join
power wiring, a RUBBER tape was put over all the bare copper to insulate.
The rubber tape used didn't stick all that well. "Friction" tape (cloth
with "tar") was put on top of the rubber to hold it in place and to protect
it from FRICTION.

The idea was to duplicate the way the original wiring as insulated which was
rubber next to the conductor and cloth to protect the rubber.

Hi,
Actually it was friction tape first and rubber tape over it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pop` wrote:

wrote:

Kind of silly I suppose, but I was just wondering:

1. Does code allow soldering for residential wiring where you live?
2. Where do you live?

Please, I'm not trying to start a debate over the
science/physics/howto's of soldering or its relative pros/cons.

Why would you want to?

Better contact and less electrical resistance.

Hmmm,
What about physical strength, flexibility. Stiff solder joint may crack
and break. Wirenut just can dangle in the middle of run, you use wire
nut to splice within junction box. Simple experiment. Make a solder
joint and wirenut joint. Then measure resistance across both and
compare. If you want to do more, heat the joint and measure again.
See any difference? You will need a meter which can read lot less than
one Ohm on the scale.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,
Actually it was friction tape first and rubber tape over it.

Nope!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Why would you want to?

Better contact and less electrical resistance.

Can you explain how solder between two copper wires provides a lower
resistance connection than direct contact between the wires?

More surface contact? Electrons tend to flow on the surface of a wire
more so than in the center for some reason or another.

Hmmm,

Skin effect is dominant on RF range. 60Hz is not RF. Is it?
We use pipe instead of solid wire on RF application.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Skin effect is dominant on RF range. 60Hz is not RF. Is it?
We use pipe instead of solid wire on RF application.

Skin effect is also a consideration for lightning protection. That's
why down conductors are a web of fine braids. And your guess of what
Hz lightning is is as good as mine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 19:28:22 GMT, "Pop`"
wrote:

wrote:

Kind of silly I suppose, but I was just wondering:

1. Does code allow soldering for residential wiring where you live?
2. Where do you live?

Please, I'm not trying to start a debate over the
science/physics/howto's of soldering or its relative pros/cons.

Why would you want to?

Better contact and less electrical resistance.

Too much work when a wirenut works fine. And you'd need about 500 to
1000 watts of soldering iron to solder a bundle of 4 or 5 #12 wires.
By the time you do it, you'd probably melt the insulation back about
6 inches and would have to tape all of that. The old cloth covered
K&T wires were intended to handle the heat of soldering. New plastic
coated wires will melt the coating.

A Weller gun will do the job quickly, without melting the
insulation, providing the wires are clean. Why would you have so
many wires joined together?

Actually, no, a Weller would be a poor choice that that application. The
heat transfer is too slow and would create the aforementioned problems.

Whatever theory says, I've never soldered because it's difficult to
unsolder, short of clipping the wires, and I've never seen anyone
else do it.

It's easy to unsolder IFF it's done right g. There's that caveat again:
"If ... "

I just tried to solder two #10 stranded wires on my car with a Weller
Gun. I could not get enough heat from it. I finally got out and old
"soldering iron". That iron is 100w I believe. Even that took too
long. I finally put a propane torch on the iron and got it really
hot. I like to solder on cars because the wires corrode otherwise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

spake thus:

wrote:

Kind of silly I suppose, but I was just wondering:

1. Does code allow soldering for residential wiring where you live?
2. Where do you live?

Please, I'm not trying to start a debate over the science/physics/howto's of
soldering or its relative pros/cons.

Why would you want to?
Too much work when a wirenut works fine. And you'd need about 500 to
1000 watts of soldering iron to solder a bundle of 4 or 5 #12 wires.

Bull****.

I could do it easily with my 35-watt soldering iron (which cost me
exactly $1 in one of those everything-made-in-China dollar stores).

Ok wiseguy. PROVE IT.
Take your camcorder, start by showing the wattage label on the
soldering iron, and the kind of solder you have (roll label). Then
make a movie of yourself doing it, and upload the movie. I bet you
wont be able to do even two #12 wires, and there is no way you can do
five.

Silver Solder - which one? John Hofstad-Parkhill Metalworking 50 January 19th 06 03:49 AM
english solder Peter Lener Electronics Repair 0 December 29th 05 03:18 PM
Old Solder Phillip944 Home Repair 23 December 13th 05 03:21 PM
Solder Bryan Electronics 2 August 23rd 03 07:37 PM
Why solder will not melt? Mark & Shauna Home Ownership 2 June 24th 03 02:12 PM