Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Solder?

In article CyVih.19$%M1.14@trnddc08, "Pop`" wrote:
Kind of silly I suppose, but I was just wondering:

1. Does code allow soldering for residential wiring where you live?
2. Where do you live?

The answer to question #1 depends on exactly what you mean.

The (US) National Electrical Code explicitly approves the use of solder in
splices, provided that the splice is both mechanically and electrically secure
_without_ solder.

IOW... it's ok to make a splice with solder, but it's *not* ok to make a
splice *only* with solder.

Another way to look at it is that solder is approved under the NEC for making
splices, but only in places where it isn't needed. g

--
Regards,