Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Solder question

john wrote:

The problem is the heat increases the amount of lead dissolving in the
brew. I remember as a kid in the early 50's my father explicitly
telling me do not use the hot tap water for anything you eat or drink.

Was the water distilled or acidic? If not, the minerals in the water
build up a layer over the walls of the pipe that covered the solder and
the copper. If it didn't, the water would dissolve not only the lead,
but the copper pipe.