Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Way OT OT Way OT

White Socks 100% Cotton.

I find them to size 13 but after a couple of washings they have shrunk
too far or have holes. So where do I get some bigger ones? Size 13
seems to be the biggest size.

Have to be 100% cotton and White in color. Can't do tube socks and
colors make my feet break out or worse.

Bob AZ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
White Socks 100% Cotton.

I find them to size 13 but after a couple of washings they have shrunk
too far or have holes. So where do I get some bigger ones? Size 13
seems to be the biggest size.

Have to be 100% cotton and White in color. Can't do tube socks and
colors make my feet break out or worse.

Bob AZ

Just keep looking. I found the upto 13s to be a little tight myself. Every
once in a while I'll find some 9-14 or 10-15, and I'll buy every pair they
have on the shelf... or atleast every pair I can afford at the moment. I've
noticed the last couple years they are harder to find. Probably one of
those economic backlash things where stores are stocking less selection and
or mfgs are providing a narrower selection.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/25/2011 5:33 PM, Bob AZ wrote:
White Socks 100% Cotton.

I find them to size 13 but after a couple of washings they have shrunk
too far or have holes. So where do I get some bigger ones? Size 13
seems to be the biggest size.

Have to be 100% cotton and White in color. Can't do tube socks and
colors make my feet break out or worse.

Bob AZ

When it comes to socks, cotton is terrible. Get yourself some synthetic
socks. They will cost 2-3X but they will not shrink, plus they will
cusion your feet much better, greatly decrease the chances of foot
fungus issues and they will last considerably longer also.

Don't buy them locally, they charge way too much and don't have large
sizes. Try online (I like Zappos.com, but there are other places)

Also (related) don't ever buy the huge puffy "rag" socks, if they are
made of cotton, or anything else. They do not hold together as the weave
is too loose. They will fall apart after only a few washings, if they
cost $5 or $25 a pair. You should ONLY ever buy tightly-woven socks, and
NEVER buy any socks with any cotton in them at all.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob AZ wrote:
White Socks 100% Cotton.

I find them to size 13 but after a couple of washings they have shrunk
too far or have holes. ...

Do you run them through the drier? It's the drier's heat that is
generally what shrinks things. I warm wash & hang dry and never have
shrinkage.

Cotton feels better when hung to dry and when hung outside smells really
nice.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You should ONLY ever buy tightly-woven socks, and
NEVER buy any socks with any cotton in them at all.

Doug C

Anything but 100% cotton makes my feet break out. If I don't get them
off within a hour or so I am in for several weeks of burning
discomfort and itching a lot. Wear them any longer and my feet turn
bloody. Med bills are in the 100s.

Therefore I don't wear anything but white 100% cotton socks.

Bob AZ.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 16:14:18 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
White Socks 100% Cotton.

I find them to size 13 but after a couple of washings they have shrunk
too far or have holes. So where do I get some bigger ones? Size 13
seems to be the biggest size.

Have to be 100% cotton and White in color. Can't do tube socks and
colors make my feet break out or worse.

Bob AZ

Just keep looking. I found the upto 13s to be a little tight myself. Every
once in a while I'll find some 9-14 or 10-15, and I'll buy every pair they
have on the shelf... or atleast every pair I can afford at the moment. I've
noticed the last couple years they are harder to find. Probably one of
those economic backlash things where stores are stocking less selection and
or mfgs are providing a narrower selection.

My problem is hats. I used to be able to find a basic baseball cap in
a large enough size. Only place I can find one now is at a flea market
that has real old ones.

I wear a straw hat all summer. I can find the XXL in Florida if I look
in several stores but no chance up nort'.

I wear a carhart hat all winter. I can wear their largest one. At
first its so tight I can't close my eyes. When my better half says its
too dirty I get another cause washing shrinks it.

You're better off being big foot than fat head.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 18:28:41 -0500, DougC
wrote:

[...]

The best socks I've ever bought are from Costco. The $10 4-packs of
Merino Wool socks by Kirkland are just great. Usually in stock by
November. I bought 3 packs last time so I don't have to buy any for
another 5-7 years. They're great in boots, keeping my feet much drier
than cotton socks. I just love the cushy things.

--
If you're trying to take a roomful of people by
surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/25/2011 7:28 PM, DougC wrote:

When it comes to socks, cotton is terrible. Get yourself some synthetic
socks. They will cost 2-3X but they will not shrink, plus they will
cusion your feet much better, greatly decrease the chances of foot

^^^^^^^^
fungus issues and they will last considerably longer also.

You misspelled "increase".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The synthetics make my feet break out in blisters. For me, cotton is
the answer. Barefoot or sandals works most of the time here. As far
as Karl's big head, you can generally find real baseball caps to size
8, which fits me most of the time. Also, check out
http://www.bigheadcaps.com/ for stuff that fits.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Way OT OT Way OT SOCKS

Froogle:

TinyURL was created!
The following URL:

http://www.google.com/search?q=big+m...white+&tbm=sho
p&hl=en&aq=f

has a length of 72 characters and resulted in the following
TinyURL which has a length of 26 characters:
http://tinyurl.com/6yl8l77
[Open in new window]

Again, good luck. Sounds like a sincere need.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
You should ONLY ever buy tightly-woven socks, and
NEVER buy any socks with any cotton in them at all.

Doug C

Anything but 100% cotton makes my feet break out. If I don't
get them
off within a hour or so I am in for several weeks of burning
discomfort and itching a lot. Wear them any longer and my
feet turn
bloody. Med bills are in the 100s.

Therefore I don't wear anything but white 100% cotton socks.

Bob AZ.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ebay?
TinyURL was created!
The following URL:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...ocks+white++&_
sacat=0&_sop=15&LH_AvailTo=1&_dmd=1&_odkw=big+mens +socks+100
%25+cotton&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

has a length of 168 characters and resulted in the following
TinyURL which has a length of 26 characters:
http://tinyurl.com/6f43u2b
[Open in new window]

Good luck, hope you find a good supply.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob AZ" wrote in message

Anything but 100% cotton makes my feet break out. If I don't
get them
off within a hour or so I am in for several weeks of burning
discomfort and itching a lot. Wear them any longer and my
feet turn
bloody. Med bills are in the 100s.

Therefore I don't wear anything but white 100% cotton socks.

Bob AZ.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

From another list:

"WalMart in my area usualy (not always) carries socks in the
13-15 size, 100% cotton, crew style. I don't remember the
brand, but it's marked as being 'plus sized' or some
similar. I have similar issues with man made materials,
though not as bad, and these are 100% cotton, and I know
they're crew style, because tube socks irritate my toes,
with the seam runnung across the front, so I don't wear
them."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

From another list:
==================

Get he, his wife or someone else to darn him some white
cotton socks.
I'm certain there has to be white cotton yarn out there
somewhere.

He could also go sockless or barefoot. Not knowing if he
works or not.
That is something only he could figure out.

I used to get size 13 cotton socks at an Army/Navy surplus
place. Seemed
all of them up in the Indianapolis, In area stocked them.
One bad thing
though. The cuffs were usually red. Pulling them over the
feet fast,
might negate any foot problems.

There are specialty shoe stores, where most of the shoes and
boots are
sold by prescription. They might be able to help him find
the right socks.

Lastly and he probably has already done this, is to go to a
very good
foot doctor and an allergist. Try to find out why his feet
only, seem to
be allergic to anything but cotton. Could be his system is
out of whack.

Now, one thing I am thinking of. He has this problem now. If
he is into
prepping. He might want to think about buying a couple
hundred pair of
the right socks, once he has tried a couple of pair out.

Just ran a search on Google and found some links that might
help him:
http://www.sockbroker.com/wondertop.htm scroll down a
bit
http://www.nextag.com/100-cotton-sock/stores-html right
at the top

My search terms for the above links we "size 15 all
cotton white
socks" without the quotes.

Tell him no thanks are needed. I did notice that these socks
were
advertised as diabetic socks. So that might be another term
he could
search under. There is a possibility that these socks can be
taken off
his taxes under medical expenses. Ditto with his $100,000+
in medical
bills so far. or was that hundreds of dollars. He wasn't too
clear on
that part.

From one diabetic to maybe another diabetic. I wonder if
his blood
sugar has ever been tested or an A1c test administered.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/25/2011 8:43 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
On 9/25/2011 7:28 PM, DougC wrote:

When it comes to socks, cotton is terrible. Get yourself some synthetic
socks. They will cost 2-3X but they will not shrink, plus they will
cusion your feet much better, greatly
decrease the chances of foot

^^^^^^^^
fungus issues and they will last considerably longer also.

You misspelled "increase".

Millions of athletes at all levels, over the past several decades would
probably disagree with you. But anyway.

----------

OPs condition (allergy to synthetic fibers) is highly unusual.

Typically any allergy to clothing fibers is an allergy to natural fibers
(cotton, wool and latex) due to the fact that they contain residue
proteins from the originating organisms, or because they harbor mite
infestations. Neither of these things exists in synthetic fibers.

Dermatitis just from synthetic fiber skin contact seems to be rather
rare, though synthetic socks do frequently contain spandex, which
contains latex rubber--and latex is a common allergen. I would expect
that OP was likely allergic to latex instead.

I would suggest looking for synthetic socks for those with a latex
allergy, and trying a pair. There must be something out there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 15:33:13 -0700 (PDT), Bob AZ
wrote:

White Socks 100% Cotton.

I find them to size 13 but after a couple of washings they have shrunk
too far or have holes. So where do I get some bigger ones? Size 13
seems to be the biggest size.

Have to be 100% cotton and White in color. Can't do tube socks and
colors make my feet break out or worse.

Bob AZ

You can go to the big and tall shop and buy just about any size you
want.

Or you can buy decent socks of the right size +1, and wash them
properly..cold water and tumble dry on medium and they generally wont
change but one size

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

if buying synthetics...buy nothing but PolyPro socks..made out of poly
propylene. They are marvelous for wicking water away from your feet,
winter or summer. And they wont let your feet freeze when working in
below zero temps. Best way is a pair of polypros then good old heavy
wool boot socks over them, inside your Sorrels. Keep you warm down the
-40s

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 13:15:01 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the link. I was about to order. Then it said, XXXL is out
of stock. Heard that one before.

Karl

Damn! Well, you can get someone to do like my mother did years ago,
took welding caps, cut 'em, and sewed in big darts. Looked like ****,
but welding caps aren't exactly a style statement. BTW, I got some
from Comeaux (sp?) that fit a little tight, but work, size 8.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 14:51:26 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I have to have Wool socks, or my feet stink so bad, you
can't stand to be in the same room with me, even with my
shoes on! I had some Bland socks on one time that made my
feet stink so bad, I had to pull over on the side of the
road, threw my Socks out the window, and drove home
Barefooted! LOL When I am wearing Wool Socks, I have no foot
odor at all.

I doubt the socks made your feet stink. What did the socks smell like
before you put them on?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
[...]

I'm OK for socks and hats (seldom wear a hat but do have a straw hat
for summer sunshine - it has no band to restrict size, just a loop of
twine around the outside), my problem is shirts. My neck size is 23"
which only comes with a chest size approaching 60" as opposed to my
44". Thankfully I had the local tailor set me up with a couple dress
shirts before he retired at 90 years of age. Any sport shirt that fits
decently has to have the collar and next button down left open.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada