Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My new engine hoist

This is a 6,000 lbs capacity OTC 1814 crane, with electric hydraulic
pump.

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1814-Capac.../dp/B00291AOU4

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Just in case if this is not apparent, this crane is HUGE and weighs
about 1,300 lbs. I was photographing it from eye level. The little
Harbor Freight crane is just a skinny boy in comparison to this
crane. Its capacity is 4,000 to 6,000 lbs depending on the boom
position.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 17:02:51 -0500, Ignoramus3367
wrote:

This is a 6,000 lbs capacity OTC 1814 crane, with electric hydraulic
pump.

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1814-Capac.../dp/B00291AOU4

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Just in case if this is not apparent, this crane is HUGE and weighs
about 1,300 lbs. I was photographing it from eye level. The little
Harbor Freight crane is just a skinny boy in comparison to this
crane. Its capacity is 4,000 to 6,000 lbs depending on the boom
position.

Now tellus you paid $40 for it and the guy tossed in a couple tons of
misc. with the deal. Just to really **** us off.

Great buy. Wish I had one just like it. I've got a 4 ton lift A frame
hoist on rollers but it can be unweildy to get in position.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This is a 6,000 lbs capacity OTC 1814 crane, with electric hydraulic
pump.

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1814-Capac.../dp/B00291AOU4

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Just in case if this is not apparent, this crane is HUGE and weighs
about 1,300 lbs. I was photographing it from eye level. The little
Harbor Freight crane is just a skinny boy in comparison to this
crane. Its capacity is 4,000 to 6,000 lbs depending on the boom
position.

Now tellus you paid $40 for it and the guy tossed in a couple tons of
misc. with the deal. Just to really **** us off.

Not really, but I am sure that I can sell it on ebay for many times
what I paid. Say, this crane is almost the same, but lacks the prized
electric hydraulic pump:

http://goo.gl/zjZ6P

Great buy. Wish I had one just like it. I've got a 4 ton lift A frame
hoist on rollers but it can be unweildy to get in position.

Yes, A frames are notorious for this, especially in crowded shops.

Thanks Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus3367 wrote:

This is a 6,000 lbs capacity OTC 1814 crane, with electric hydraulic
pump.

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1814-Capac.../dp/B00291AOU4

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Just in case if this is not apparent, this crane is HUGE and weighs
about 1,300 lbs. I was photographing it from eye level. The little
Harbor Freight crane is just a skinny boy in comparison to this
crane. Its capacity is 4,000 to 6,000 lbs depending on the boom
position.

Yeow! Now you need your CDL and a class 8 tractor with an engine big
enough to need that hoist.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-09, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus3367 wrote:

This is a 6,000 lbs capacity OTC 1814 crane, with electric hydraulic
pump.

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1814-Capac.../dp/B00291AOU4

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Just in case if this is not apparent, this crane is HUGE and weighs
about 1,300 lbs. I was photographing it from eye level. The little
Harbor Freight crane is just a skinny boy in comparison to this
crane. Its capacity is 4,000 to 6,000 lbs depending on the boom
position.

Yeow! Now you need your CDL and a class 8 tractor with an engine big
enough to need that hoist.

Soon I will explain what my plans are...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This is a 6,000 lbs capacity OTC 1814 crane, with electric hydraulic
pump.

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1814-Capac.../dp/B00291AOU4

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Just in case if this is not apparent, this crane is HUGE and weighs
about 1,300 lbs. I was photographing it from eye level. The little
Harbor Freight crane is just a skinny boy in comparison to this
crane. Its capacity is 4,000 to 6,000 lbs depending on the boom
position.

Now tellus you paid $40 for it and the guy tossed in a couple tons of
misc. with the deal. Just to really **** us off.

Not really, but I am sure that I can sell it on ebay for many times
what I paid. Say, this crane is almost the same, but lacks the prized
electric hydraulic pump:

Do you have success selling heavy expensive to ship items on eBay? We
don't, not at all.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus3367 fired this volley in
:

Soon I will explain what my plans are...

Oh... I can guess! You're going to make your mill "portable" (or maybe
your whole machine shop!).

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Ignoramus3367 fired this volley in
:

Soon I will explain what my plans are...

Oh... I can guess! You're going to make your mill "portable" (or maybe
your whole machine shop!).

I've seen it done, if I recall it was a lo-boy type trailer with a large
Multiquip Whisper-Watt generator on top of the gooseneck, and a 40'
container on the flatbed with a full shop inside.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Plenty of success, I usually do not ship such things at all, the
customer comes with money and I load. I recently sold the huge 1 ton
jib crane that I mentioned, I delivered it for free 18 miles from my
home. Since I could not get the crane out of my trailer, anyway, "free
delivery" was not such a big deal to me. I just kept the jib crane in
my trailer until I sold it and "delivered".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 20:59:03 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ignoramus3367 fired this volley in
m:

Soon I will explain what my plans are...

Oh... I can guess! You're going to make your mill "portable" (or maybe
your whole machine shop!).

With a slightly used Mercedes semi coupled to a fully-enclosed
drop-bed trailer he found on eBay "For just $1,500, you drive it
away!" http://goo.gl/8cnYF A nice start?

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...WD_r9xO3bjAhN7...

Just in case if this is not apparent, this crane is HUGE and weighs
about 1,300 lbs. I was photographing it from eye level. The little
Harbor Freight crane is just a skinny boy in comparison to this
crane. Its capacity is 4,000 to 6,000 lbs depending on the boom
position.

A thing of beauty. ;)

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

i- Hide quoted text -

If I were you Ig, I would hang on to that for awhile.

I bet you will find yourself using it....a lot.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
This is a 6,000 lbs capacity OTC 1814 crane, with electric hydraulic
pump.

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1814-Capac.../dp/B00291AOU4

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...WD_r9xO3bjAhN7...

Just in case if this is not apparent, this crane is HUGE and weighs
about 1,300 lbs. I was photographing it from eye level. The little
Harbor Freight crane is just a skinny boy in comparison to this
crane. Its capacity is 4,000 to 6,000 lbs depending on the boom
position.

A thing of beauty. ;)

TMT

Unlike your mommy, either one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This is a 6,000 lbs capacity OTC 1814 crane, with electric hydraulic
pump.

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1814-Capac.../dp/B00291AOU4

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Just in case if this is not apparent, this crane is HUGE and weighs
about 1,300 lbs. I was photographing it from eye level. The little
Harbor Freight crane is just a skinny boy in comparison to this
crane. Its capacity is 4,000 to 6,000 lbs depending on the boom
position.

Now tellus you paid $40 for it and the guy tossed in a couple tons of
misc. with the deal. Just to really **** us off.

Great buy. Wish I had one just like it. I've got a 4 ton lift A frame
hoist on rollers but it can be unweildy to get in position.

Karl

Now will the legs go under a standard car?

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This is a 6,000 lbs capacity OTC 1814 crane, with electric hydraulic
pump.

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1814-Capac.../dp/B00291AOU4

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Just in case if this is not apparent, this crane is HUGE and weighs
about 1,300 lbs. I was photographing it from eye level. The little
Harbor Freight crane is just a skinny boy in comparison to this
crane. Its capacity is 4,000 to 6,000 lbs depending on the boom
position.

Now tellus you paid $40 for it and the guy tossed in a couple tons of
misc. with the deal. Just to really **** us off.

Great buy. Wish I had one just like it. I've got a 4 ton lift A frame
hoist on rollers but it can be unweildy to get in position.

Karl

Now will the legs go under a standard car?

My "A" frame has two huge A shaped pillars with a ten foot I beam
accross the top at a ten foot height. Stone bitch to move around, you
have to move it with a fork lift or pull with a tractor. The wheels do
swivel but not very well. its really too damn heavy for swivels.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend fired this volley in
:

The wheels do
swivel but not very well. its really too damn heavy for swivels.

Y'know, it's funny how badly those casters work, and yet "good" ones work
really well.

When I got my most recent lathe, I had a lot of fiddling around to do in
order to get it into the shop and positioned properly. I had some spotty
help, but was mostly working alone.

So I tracked down some really good quality 5" urethane-tired swivel
casters, and built some 24" square "movers' dolleys" with them. That
really turned the trick. One guy could easily move a full ton of iron
without grunting.

I've got a Northern Tools engine hoist that only weighs about 200lb, and
it's all I can do to move it around -- because of the Chinalloy casters!

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-09, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus3367 fired this volley in
Soon I will explain what my plans are...

Oh... I can guess! You're going to make your mill "portable" (or maybe
your whole machine shop!).

LLoyd

Even better!

Yeah - you remember Ig's recent post about needing to re-roof a large
flat roof? My bet is that he has a new place for his dealings; maybe
move his shop there for more space.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-09, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Karl Townsend fired this volley in
:

The wheels do
swivel but not very well. its really too damn heavy for swivels.

Y'know, it's funny how badly those casters work, and yet "good" ones work
really well.

When I got my most recent lathe, I had a lot of fiddling around to do in
order to get it into the shop and positioned properly. I had some spotty
help, but was mostly working alone.

So I tracked down some really good quality 5" urethane-tired swivel
casters, and built some 24" square "movers' dolleys" with them. That
really turned the trick. One guy could easily move a full ton of iron
without grunting.

I've got a Northern Tools engine hoist that only weighs about 200lb, and
it's all I can do to move it around -- because of the Chinalloy casters!

Yes. I would suggest, to Karl, to get high quality 8 inch iron wheel
casters. If they are mounted accurately, with the caster plates exactly
horizontal, you will see a lot of difference.

I moved a 5,500 lbs Bridgeport Interact on 5 inch urethane casters. It
was a pain, but it worked.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 07:43:56 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Karl Townsend fired this volley in
:

The wheels do
swivel but not very well. its really too damn heavy for swivels.

Y'know, it's funny how badly those casters work, and yet "good" ones work
really well.

When I got my most recent lathe, I had a lot of fiddling around to do in
order to get it into the shop and positioned properly. I had some spotty
help, but was mostly working alone.

So I tracked down some really good quality 5" urethane-tired swivel
casters, and built some 24" square "movers' dolleys" with them. That
really turned the trick. One guy could easily move a full ton of iron
without grunting.

It's getting that ton of arn up into the air almost a _foot_ which was
the real task, eh? 'Cept for that, I love larger casters.

I've got a Northern Tools engine hoist that only weighs about 200lb, and
it's all I can do to move it around -- because of the Chinalloy casters!

Grease dem puppies, boy!

--
The problem with borrowing money from China is
that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 9, 7:03*am, Ignoramus5263
On 2011-09-09, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

[...]

If you're not working on finished floors, the iron wheels are the way
to go. Welded up an engine dolly and was looking for casters, found
some USA-made ones at the local hardware store with full ball-bearing
swivels, zerks and iron wheels. Have never regretted the choice.

Still remember the guy I worked with that had a big loaded Craftsman
tool chest and he had to move it. The solid rubber wheels had gotten
pressed flat from the weight. He ended unloading the thing, used a
jack to get it lifted up and had to replace every one before he could
move out.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

For me, Craigslist is better locally, and a local AM radio program every day
except Sunday (It's Mormon country here) called Tradio. Call in and sell
darn near anything. No businesses or commercial calls. Or ask to buy darn
near anything. Was riding in the car with a visitor from southern Cal when
the program came on. Said what a hoot it was. A guy comes on who wants
apples, spoiled or not. He's fed all his apples to his pigs, and needs
more. Will clean up fallen apples. Will pick trees clean. My friend was
very amused. I have called things in, and had a return phone call within
five seconds.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote

Y'know, it's funny how badly those casters work, and yet "good" ones work
really well.

When I got my most recent lathe, I had a lot of fiddling around to do in
order to get it into the shop and positioned properly. I had some spotty
help, but was mostly working alone.

So I tracked down some really good quality 5" urethane-tired swivel
casters, and built some 24" square "movers' dolleys" with them. That
really turned the trick. One guy could easily move a full ton of iron
without grunting.

I've got a Northern Tools engine hoist that only weighs about 200lb, and
it's all I can do to move it around -- because of the Chinalloy casters!

LLoyd

Ya got that right! Everything else can be right, but if the wheels aren't,
it's a pure d bitch.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-10, Steve B wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote
I've got a Northern Tools engine hoist that only weighs about 200lb, and
it's all I can do to move it around -- because of the Chinalloy casters!

Ya got that right! Everything else can be right, but if the wheels aren't,
it's a pure d bitch.

The first thing that I did with my Harbor Freight crane, is to take
off the crappy casters, and weld on USA made 5 inch casters. Works
really great after about 5 years.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

By the way, here are the specs for this crane.

http://www.jackxchange.com/products/1814.cfm

The maximum boom height is 161 7/8".

This is basically the height of a double story foyer, 13.5 feet. Wow

I will pick it up in 9-10 days, I already paid for it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 21:46:33 -0500, Ignoramus5263

On 2011-09-10, Steve B wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote
I've got a Northern Tools engine hoist that only weighs about 200lb, and
it's all I can do to move it around -- because of the Chinalloy casters!

Ya got that right! Everything else can be right, but if the wheels aren't,
it's a pure d bitch.

The first thing that I did with my Harbor Freight crane, is to take
off the crappy casters, and weld on USA made 5 inch casters. Works
really great after about 5 years.

It takes that long to work great? :^)

I'd always taken advantage of the fact that Chinalloy wheels slid and
skidded so easily on concrete that they didn't really need to roll.

--
The problem with borrowing money from China is
that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again.
--Steve Bridges as Obama
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-10, Steve B wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote
I've got a Northern Tools engine hoist that only weighs about 200lb, and
it's all I can do to move it around -- because of the Chinalloy casters!

Ya got that right! Everything else can be right, but if the wheels aren't,
it's a pure d bitch.

The first thing that I did with my Harbor Freight crane, is to take
off the crappy casters, and weld on USA made 5 inch casters. Works
really great after about 5 years.

It takes that long to work great? :^)

I'd always taken advantage of the fact that Chinalloy wheels slid and
skidded so easily on concrete that they didn't really need to roll.

They do not slide so easily, when there is a 500 lbs load on the
crane.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-10, Steve B wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote
I've got a Northern Tools engine hoist that only weighs about 200lb, and
it's all I can do to move it around -- because of the Chinalloy casters!

Ya got that right! Everything else can be right, but if the wheels aren't,
it's a pure d bitch.

The first thing that I did with my Harbor Freight crane, is to take
off the crappy casters, and weld on USA made 5 inch casters. Works
really great after about 5 years.

It takes that long to work great? :^)

I'd always taken advantage of the fact that Chinalloy wheels slid and
skidded so easily on concrete that they didn't really need to roll.

They do not slide so easily, when there is a 500 lbs load on the
crane.

Aw, that's what the 3' crowbar is for, Ig. Piece o' cake.

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-10, Steve B wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote
I've got a Northern Tools engine hoist that only weighs about 200lb, and
it's all I can do to move it around -- because of the Chinalloy casters!

Ya got that right! Everything else can be right, but if the wheels aren't,
it's a pure d bitch.

The first thing that I did with my Harbor Freight crane, is to take
off the crappy casters, and weld on USA made 5 inch casters. Works
really great after about 5 years.

It takes that long to work great? :^)

I'd always taken advantage of the fact that Chinalloy wheels slid and
skidded so easily on concrete that they didn't really need to roll.

They do not slide so easily, when there is a 500 lbs load on the
crane.

Aw, that's what the 3' crowbar is for, Ig. Piece o' cake.

Try better casters for a change.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-10, Steve B wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote
I've got a Northern Tools engine hoist that only weighs about 200lb, and
it's all I can do to move it around -- because of the Chinalloy casters!

Ya got that right! Everything else can be right, but if the wheels aren't,
it's a pure d bitch.

The first thing that I did with my Harbor Freight crane, is to take
off the crappy casters, and weld on USA made 5 inch casters. Works
really great after about 5 years.

It takes that long to work great? :^)

I'd always taken advantage of the fact that Chinalloy wheels slid and
skidded so easily on concrete that they didn't really need to roll.

They do not slide so easily, when there is a 500 lbs load on the
crane.

Aw, that's what the 3' crowbar is for, Ig. Piece o' cake.

Try better casters for a change.

As often as I have used it, the crowbar works fine. I seldom use it
for my wallet. (It requires TWO to open it!)

winch or hoist bob UK diy 2 August 6th 10 09:05 PM
Engine hoist capacity big e lewis Home Repair 31 March 17th 08 12:42 AM
ideas needed on engine hoist rb Home Repair 2 June 15th 07 03:45 AM
Help w/ new HF Shop Crane/Engine Hoist Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 30 March 2nd 05 02:50 PM
Moving mill/lathe with engine hoist AL Metalworking 5 March 18th 04 04:23 AM