Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default My new engine hoist

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote

Y'know, it's funny how badly those casters work, and yet "good" ones work
really well.

When I got my most recent lathe, I had a lot of fiddling around to do in
order to get it into the shop and positioned properly. I had some spotty
help, but was mostly working alone.

So I tracked down some really good quality 5" urethane-tired swivel
casters, and built some 24" square "movers' dolleys" with them. That
really turned the trick. One guy could easily move a full ton of iron
without grunting.

I've got a Northern Tools engine hoist that only weighs about 200lb, and
it's all I can do to move it around -- because of the Chinalloy casters!

LLoyd

Ya got that right! Everything else can be right, but if the wheels aren't,
it's a pure d bitch.

Steve