AL

Default Moving mill/lathe with engine hoist

I did a search on a groups.google and found dozens of posts from people who
moved mills and lathes with an engine hoist. My 2 ton folding engine hoist
from Harbor Freight has less than 2 feet of distance between the two lower
legs. This distance is not enough to clear the base on my Enco
Bridgeport-like mill, not to mention the pallet. Am I misunderstanding
something? How do you get the legs around the base of the mill? Are there
rental hoists that are super wide? I imagine that the intended purpose of
the hoist is to remove engines, and so the legs would be sized to allow them
to roll under a compact car. Do people modify them to be wider? I don't
get it. Comments? Thanks.

Marty Escarcega

"AL" wrote in news:4i76c.31991$SR1.38630@attbi_s04:

I did a search on a groups.google and found dozens of posts from
people who moved mills and lathes with an engine hoist. My 2 ton
folding engine hoist from Harbor Freight has less than 2 feet of
distance between the two lower legs. This distance is not enough to
clear the base on my Enco Bridgeport-like mill, not to mention the
pallet. Am I misunderstanding something? How do you get the legs
around the base of the mill? Are there rental hoists that are super
wide? I imagine that the intended purpose of the hoist is to remove
engines, and so the legs would be sized to allow them to roll under a
compact car. Do people modify them to be wider? I don't get it.
Comments? Thanks.

Yup, I had to redo the base of mine, its all a U shape. It will straddle a
Bridgeport. Last machine I picked up the ram bent over (Jim Wilson will
attest to this!) No mas. I use a local semi-retired fellow with a drop down
trailer and a pallet jack modified for moving the mills. Effortless. Best
$75-$100 I spend each time I have to dink with having one moved!

Marty

JR North

Jack up or lever the mill in steps and place wooden supports
to hold it up, higher than the hoists legs. Place the
supports so they clear the legs. Reverse to drop.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

--
Remove X to reply

Dependence is Vulnerability:

"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Grant Erwin

OK, you got a crummy engine hoist. So go rent one that fits your mill
base. I bought a 2-ton import engine hoist and have picked up my Bridgeport
with in many times.

Grant

Lidl tools Michael Mcneil UK diy 87 July 14th 04 10:00 PM
'85 Toyota Truck - Engine Dilemma Ernie Leimkuhler Metalworking 33 September 25th 03 03:19 PM
sheet metal gas engine project clare @ snyder.on .ca Metalworking 10 August 27th 03 01:47 AM
Need Advice for Fabricating Engine Support Bridge Tim Marciniak Metalworking 3 July 26th 03 06:05 AM